Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Glad you like the work guys.

I've now started exploring vector drawing to be able to do more things in 3D.

We'll see how that goes.  Though it should create a whole new array to the design options.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

diffsky
Veqryn wrote
...it would be good to use XHTML instead of HTML, as it forces internet explorer to actually render a real web page rather than doing the bullshit that it is most hated for
This advice is outdated, please don't use XHTML. Just use the html doctype (that's html5). You can look at staaats.info as an example.
My tripleA stats over at http://staaats.info

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

create an account on sourceforge please, if you haven't already

i'm going to give you access to triplea's web space

i'll put a folder in there called "hepster", and you can start making the website in there (it won't interfere with the current website as long as it is in that folder i think)

we can link to it from the main site, until such a point in time where we are ready to release it and replace the main site with it

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

Odesa
So is this happening or dying?  Website seems to be the same...

I think Hepster got busy with Total World War, Job well done never the less.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Hi Veq,  Just to let you know I haven't abandoned this project.  I will be continuing to develop this.

I'm just trying to get the next (and hopefully last) installment of T.W.W. ready.  Combine that with work and I am swamped at the moment.

I will activate my account as soon as I have wrapped a few things up.

As a side note if there is anyone else here with experience setting this kinda stuff up I could probably use a hand as I have self taught myself what little I know so far.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

Bung
hepster, when you're ready to get started, give me an email cbungholio@gmail.com and we can talk by email or instant messenger (my preference is IM)

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Thanks Bung,  when the time comes I will contact you.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

ErnieBommel
Yes, you are gifted with art, no doubt.

I always thought that becoming a swiss-knife is a bad approach, aka not working really well at everything. Thought the way TripleA focussed on WW2 style games was its strong point over more general game engines like VASSAL http://www.vassalengine.org/ .
Becoming big/broad isnt always an advantage, since it may consume too many resources with pure overhead.
There is strength in dedication, and I strongly believe that - especially given that Veq carries most of the development burden alone - TripleA cant afford to stray too far from its core.

However, I do like the idea of a similar logo in multiple themed variations - or more precisely the way you did it.

And yes, no doubt the webpresence as a whole could be much sexier, and I can hardly think of someone better suited to successfully do that for TripleA. Your artwork is stunning, and - what I consider most important - you have a distinguished style, giving it all a coherent appearance.
I believe people should see the maps right on the frontpage. I further believe the webpages theme should work with few colors, so that the maps displayed could unfold the atmospheric magic of their colorthemes.
And I believe the path to the download should be a clear and short as possible, including enough info on how to fire up the game, join the lobby and join a gameroom, as well as downloading maps.

For the rest, I did add a lot of garbage to the old Depot. But the above two were good and key concepts, I believe.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Thanks.

I completely understand and appreciate your point of view.  However the fact that there are already a multitude of different games on Triple A (with more non-WW II in the works) only serves to underscore my earlier point.  That being said, that is why I am trying to create something that works on all levels and for multiple genre's.  I don't see how underscoring that we are more than just A&A clones will detract from the sites popularity for all types of Turn-based game enthusiasts, A&A-style or otherwise.

Part of my long term strategy is to strengthen and increase all area's of Triple A's marketing and develop more "sexy" promotional material for WW II themed games also.  Hopefully generating even more interest for the WW II genre as well.

My idea is to use free image hosting sites to place "Sales Posters" in so that people will come across them when they type any number of Key words into their search engine....

Ie.  I go into Bing or Google (or any other S.E.) and type: WW II, Army, WW II Poster, soldier etc. etc.

and the engine will produce this as one of the images in the images list...

and/or

I type all the above, plus Uncle Sam, American,  Recruitment etc. etc.

and up pops....

These are just 2 example of many "posters" I have already created.  And since every last image I have in my repository is free of any copy right restrictions... the options are endless.

But with posters like these loaded onto image sites everywhere we'd have the ability to reach hundreds of thousands of potential players who may not be even looking for the game (but might still be very interested in joining and playing).

Anyway,  Ernie I totally understand what you are saying, I just don't necessarily see how diversifying the image to encapsulate all the possibilities for games within the engine could hurt our player base provided we still maintain a focus on stimulating and attracting the WW II crowd.

Sincerely, Hepps

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hallsofmontezuma
I'm a web developer by trade, and would be happy to make the new site.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

Conarymor
Hepster... I like the site mock-ups and logo comps.  As a consultant in interactive media (and a personal pet peeve), can I suggest shrinking the height of the header image, maybe to no more than 100px or 120px?  As a user who works almost exclusively from a laptop or tablet, I can't stand sites that first load and half the primary landing page is taken up with a static image, requiring me to scroll down to view all the relevant content.

You have probably already considered this, but if not, I would highly suggest deploying on a content management system platform.  CMS allow for quick and easy update of content, maintenance of site templates, and deployment of new site functionality.

One other thought is the interactive layout.  The tendency is for users is to view site content in the shape of the letter 'F'.  When visiting a site, users tend to view the top (left to right), then the left column (top to bottom), then the rest of the page (left to right).  If you were to consider a top rail horizontal navigation, the real estate allotted to left column vertical navigation could be re-purposed for other interactive content.  Perhaps the left (and/or right) column could be used to house forum widgets, such as the five most recent posts.  Or, user login/profile options.  Or maybe Quick Links to other related sites (the Ladder, the Wiki, etc.).

Just a few thoughts... good work!

~ Dave
Dave Ball

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

I like too.

Medieval Games

Colour coded

Themed Background

What about having a transparent one each, usable as map decoration?

Transparent Original

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

BTW if you wanna share the original transparent and tell what you have to do still other people might help you with the simple things like logos.

I'm thinking about an "Abstract Games" with the Hexglobe10 theme and making a "Fantasy" will be fun.

I've reconstructed the base with graphic hacks. I don't mind, but having the original would be better.

Cheers