Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Hi everyone,  I've been coming to the forum for a while now and I've always felt that the site itself could use some tender loving care.  With that in mind I have been teaching myself HTML and doing some conceptual mock-ups of what might look good and attract a higher volume of players.

After all presentation is everything.

Attached you will find a shrunken image of what I feel would be significant improvement to just the home page of the site as well as a link to the full size image.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?7d47oekf4lkmwsh

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

just a quick FYI

when designing the web page, make sure it looks good at different resolutions and in different browsers

also, it would be good to use XHTML instead of HTML, as it forces internet explorer to actually render a real web page rather than doing the bullshit that it is most hated for

the most popular screen resolutions are:
1366x768
1920x1200

(and for older PCs 1024x768 and 1600x1200)

I love the work

(although I would not credit our sponsors on the main page, because our sponsors donate an equal amount as the average user donates, so instead put them on another page)

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

eurofabio
Excellent!

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

Rolf Larsson
Very very nice, despite from html or xhtml, a picture is a thousand words and the background image and the logo alone would be a great improvement imo. Additional a big button for downloading the latest version and a short description about Triplea would be good.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

xhtml isn't hard to do

it is just the difference between a "properly formed" html, and a not properly made html

its like running a spell checker on your word document.

old html (wrong way):

new html (right way) and also all xhtml:

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

Well I'm sure we can re-check anything that is done before implementation.

Anyway, I touched up the actual logo today when I had a couple of minutes.

Just let me know what you want to do once you've made a decision.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

Looks great.  Trying to think of possible improvements beforehand:

1) change the 'Downloads Info' tab to simply 'Downloads'
2) change the 'Development Info.' tab to simply 'Development'
3) a volley of arrows coming down on the left picture side.  a mushroom nuclear cloud  or bomber dropping bombs on the right top?
4) First sentence:"TripleA is a games platform for playing turn-based strategy games."
how about changing to "TripleA is a platform for playing and creating turn-based stragegy games."
5) would it be innappropriate to have a link to our wiki site either here or in-game where the 'game notes' option is?

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Zim,

1) Yup

2) Yup

3) I'll add a few minor details and see how it looks

4) the entire caption there will be re-written.  I just hammered out something of the top of my head.  I hadn't really given it much thought, just wanted to get something down on "paper".

5)  There are still places other than on the main page where the Wiki link can go.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
A quick revision...

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
O.k. I got inspired early this morning and did a few more things.

1)  Abbreviated logo....

       Clear                 Green                  Blue                     Red

2)  Further revisions to the Home Page....

If any of those who are interested want to provide some feed back on this it'd be appreciated.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
BTW... I am currently re-writing the caption and adding the word free to the image also.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

ErnieBommel
Heya Hepster.
Good initiative. The site indeed looks dusty - although its simplicity prooved to be a plus in the past.

A couple years back, when the community was dangerously shrinking due to extensive version updates and the threatening lawsuit by Hasbro, I did put up the "TripleA Supply Depot" in order to promote TripleA (and NWO). Map downloading and installing wasnt as convenient back then as it is now. The Depot was meant to give a helping hand. It still exists, but hasnt been updated for more than 2 years now.

Having had exactelty 0 experience in either graphics nor webdesign, I made use of the then new google sites.
Thus the site had both limitations in layout and structure, on top of my personal limitations. Nevertheless, its still full of stuff that might be interesting for a fresh site, like a huge load of links, from TripleA fun over (old) Map resource sites (for the creative) to rule books for the WW2 series games, as well as a TripleA glossary and more. It also is a nice example of what to avoid (its too crammed, for example, like its typical for a beginner : ) ).
Well, just pointing to it. https://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/
Feel free to take over anything you consider useful.

Concerning the logo: While the new one looks good, I do believe the current one actually sticks better in the brain of the viewer, since its a combination of picture and letters. But I am conservative in nature when it comes to changes, so I might be biased. But I really like the current icon. Or do I mix up Icon and logo?

Regards

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Hi Ernie,

I appreciate the feedback.  It's nice to see a veteran Triple A member getting interested in what I am proposing.

I should maybe explain what I am trying to achieve with my drafts for a new logo.

I personally think that the current logo (while good) is very limiting to Triple A as a whole because it is specific to one genre.  In that it conveys only one aspect of what Triple A has become and is continuing to evolve into.  With so many games that are not A&A specific,  I have felt for a while that not enough emphasis is put on how it is so much more, and thus limiting our potential new player base for non-A&A style games.  I am fully aware that what I have designed as a logo is truly generic and truth be told I have been struggling to come up with an image that will encapsulate Triple A in a broad sense without pigeon-toeing into a single genre.  That is why I am posting concepts, with the hopes that either someone will suggest an idea that is not WWII specific and yet conveys a Strategic Turned Based Game Engine, or that I will strike on something as I refine Logo designs in the hopes that I'll have a eureka moment (as that is also part of my creative process).

Quote from Densura "TripleA is a free turn based strategy game and board game, similar to Risk, or Axis & Allies."

To me this quote limits us.  If I had not been specifically looking for A&A I would have dismissed Triple A immediately during my search.

The idea of re-branding the Logo and site to a more Generic icon or image is meant to try and attract a larger variety of gamers and in my opinion will not deter A&A enthusiasts what-so-ever because they will:

A) be finding the game through more conventional channels... ie.  A&A.org and will also recognize specific titles as soon as they scan the site or game review sites.

B) will make the connection of the name to A&A if they have any prior knowledge at all.

With all the new features and abilities of the engine I can already envision a Triple A lobby filled with a wide assortment of new games that resemble A&A very little if not at all.

The other thing is that despite all of the capabilities of the Engine (and the hard work of the development team both past and present), when you first access this site it says nothing about what a dynamic engine this is.  So my proposals for redoing the site are also aimed at giving Triple A a sexier image for people who visit here for the first time.  I'll be honest,  the first time I came to this site I hesitated at downloading it for about a week because it looked so rudimentary.  First impressions are everything, and if we can give Triple A a sexier first impression then we'll probably see a huge increase in new members and a wider selection of opponents in the lobby.

Finally,  because I cannot contribute to the engine development this is how I am trying to help out and contribute to Triple A with the skills and abilities I have at my disposal.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

beelee
I think you're doing a fine job

Maybe underneath the new logo you could put 3 or 4 smaller ones
that way you could use the current one with the army dude and then create some that show fantasy or space based or different time periods then just wwII

obviously you don't want to get it too cluttered
when in doubt less is usually better

just a thought

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Yes  That was part of my intention...

Using the original icon to Brand A&A or WW II style games...

And create Other Genre icons to identify the other different types of maps...

Fantasy Warfare
Space Warfare
Modern Warfare
Ancient Warfare
etc.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
So here are some mock-ups of what I am thinking of...

Ancient Games

                          Colour coded

                       Themed Background

Revolutionary Games

                          Colour coded

                        Themed Background

WW II Games

                          Colour coded

                              Themed Background

I had also thought that we'd need the following categories also...

Middle Ages Games

WW I

Modern Era Games

Sci-Fi Games

Fantasy Games.

(Still creating Mock-ups for these ones)

I was thinking that these icons could be inserted into the Snap shot images to create classification groupings for all the game snapshopts.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

Zim Xero
Are those icons going to have a specific purpose?... like generate the list of downloadable games in that category?

in case you haven't noticed yet, PROJECT on the bottom right was spelled PORJECT.
I really dont have any ideas for you except a slogan, but yours is good too.

"The Future is in Your Dice"

Our downloads page could use a little updating, like forming it into a table with status categories, showing the latest modded date, whether the game can be played against AI or not,  the existing quality rating, and a latest stable playability rating(whether the game is bug-free, buggy, or unplayable in present state)

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

hepster
Zim,  I'm not sure whether we have the skill or technology to put the icons in the Repository list.  I'd love to make a new tab on the website that (as you suggest) list the games by category with all the specific info you mentioned.  I think that would also be a fantastic resource for new potential players.

My thought is to make a preliminary page in the snapshots page and use the icons to identify spots for  themed groupings of games. Then you would click on the theme and pull up picks of games for that category.

"Your fate is lies in the Dice"  was another slogan I had messed around with.

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

ice
did anyone ever tell you how awesome you are with art?

keep up the good work

Re: Proposed revamp of the Triple A Site

i like the new logos