Promoting TripleA

OnanTheBrBr
Couple things could need an update:

1. The Wikipedia entry looks at the moment as if TripleA is dead. It should state that development is very much alive with a damn good unstable released and ready for download. It might be pointed out there that the game engine supports a lot of maps which are not part of the release, but which are circulated within the community. Might even be stated that it supports "aa50-, revised- and classic-like maps. And the fact that the engine has a decent AI now should be mentioned too.
It furthermore should contain some screenshots, preferably of some user created mods and not of anything prone to trigger a Hasbro reaction. Maps can easily be exported from-out the engine due to a nice existing feature found in the menu.
Furthermore, entries could be extended to other languages.

2. The AAAzone Link found here under Community/Other seems dead and therefore should be removed.

3. Someone might be up to making a youtube video of the actual gameplay, which could be linked at the wikipedia entry.

I am posting this here instead of just doing it because:
concerning 1.: I wanted to check if anyone objects this for whatever reasons (mainly the DMCA)
concerning 2.: Cant do this, site admin has to.
concerning 3.: Needs someone skilled with making youtube vids.

Regards,
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Promoting TripleA

WhiteElk
I've also been thinking along these lines Onan. After a few weeks of lurking, your post has compelled me to finally post here.

I was quite stoked to have stumbled upon TripleA a few weeks ago!  But when I got here I nearly passed on the download because I thought the documentation of the game and the mods was seriously lacking... I thought this might speak poorly as to the quality of the program.   But a love of the board game drove me to check it out anyhow.  I was hooked once I discovered the quality and potential of the TripleA engine.  And I was thankful for how easy it was to hook up to a live game.

However, I grew a little frustrated while trying to find mods and then learn their rules.  And I spent much wasted time navigating through the links provided here, trying to find some basic info on TripleA.  For someone new to TripleA there are a few things one must learn.  I'm an old board game vet so I knew the game, but knew nothing of LL, NT, Bids etc.  I was also unfamiliar with some of the variant rule sets.  I found this site, and the links to be of little, to no help. Google was my friend though, and I found a working link to AAAZone.  I can imagine how time consuming, and off putting, it would be for someone who has never even played the board game.  I wonder how many folks walk away from this because of poor documentation?  And  I wonder how many mods go unplayed because the rules are not well described, and the mods are not readily accessible through an efficient master list?

I think that a "one stop shop" approach to documenting the game and its mods would be helpful.  It should be very easy, and obvious, for new players to find info on this game.  And for noob's and vets alike, I think there is need for a well organized and informative master list for mods (with mod descriptions as well as full rule sets And links to download).  It stands to reason that the community would benefit by the addition of some basic information displayed in a prominent location.  More players equates to increased availability of opponents.  And a broader base of creative minds pondering mods, makes for a bigger toy box of games.

Another thing I noticed was how off putting the smack talking in game chat can be.  There is one player in particular I am thinking of.  He was around for a few days and was still making the transition from the board game among friends, to the low luck competition of players who teach each other set starts.  He played Russia every game I played with him, and in every game he was told, in an unfriendly and rude manner, that the game was lost on the first turn of play.  Wheres the fun in that for him?  Well there is a learning curve in all things.  But people mostly play games for the fun of it.  Wheres the fun in getting stomped and diss'd like that?  And where is the fun of experienced players playing noobs? It might be helpful for a ladder system to be set up such that players can find opponents of like skill and experience.

Barring that...  some basic info regarding the TripleA system, including rule sets for the most commonly played variants would be most helpful indeed.

A link to the TripleA wiki (work in progress)

Re: Promoting TripleA

U-boat
Well welcome WhiteElk. It actually happens that TripleA's download was removed to due to "possible copyright infringement" so the maps previously used were removed from the actual TripleA download. But they are still out there. People have been posting them at http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum#nabble-td3925747.

FYI:

A&A Classic is now called WWII v1
A&A Revised in now called WWII v2
AA50 (Anniversary ) is now called WWII v3
Revised 1942 (newest) is now called WWII v4

We have been meaning to edit the docs, I sort of started on it a little, but yes a centralized tutorial is needed.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at uboataaa@gmail.com

Re: Promoting TripleA

U-boat
WhiteElk wrote
It might be helpful for a ladder system to be set up such that players can find opponents of like skill and experience.
One step ahead of ya: tripleawarclub.org. That site will actually have detailed rule sets and some ins and outs of the game.

Re: Promoting TripleA

Bung
Yes I would like to further mention that when you join the old stable lobby that there are links to FAQ, Forums, Rules, Hosting, all right when you join the lobby, I thought that would help people. Im sorry that you spent alot of time trying to figure out what LL and stuff is, that is all in my FAQ on the warclub :( I try to link anyone that asks in either lobby :) At the moment the unstable lobby only has instructions on Hosting and Downloading Maps because there is a character limit on the server message. Ive already posted in the feature request section for that to be increased so I can link to more things when people join the new lobby app.

I believe RogerCooper has been putting together the AA wiki that has a list of all maps ever, might find that somewhere. I understand how it can be tough to navigate all the stuff online, AAAzone, AAWiki, TripleADev, TripleAWarClub, but each have their purpose. I have mirrored the hosting guide from aaazone in the FAQ of tripleawarclub. the warclub is also meant to be more of a ladder site. and the dev site is for all things dev/map/mod related and more. Now that TripleA uses a new map distrobution system, its probably going to be even harder to keep track of mods. However, as I mentioned, I have linked the server message to a thread I created, "Post your 'Download Map' links here" which I hope will get stickied so that whenever anyone wants to install maps, they just need to go there because it's where we can all post our Map Repository links.

Time will tell I guess, unfortunately there is a bit of disconnect between different forums, lobby types, ladder types, modder types, and developer types, but we make due :)

The warclub has become my personal baby, and after re-launching the new revised ladder in april, I have been busy with school. Next term I am only in 2 courses and will be looking to setup an AA50 ladder, as well as other long-awaited updates :) Hopefully between the dev site, the warclub and the wiki we can manage everything you've talked about :)

Re: Promoting TripleA

ubernaut
that aa50 ladder sounds fun. played in one of your tourneys before many moons ago. was wondering if people are allowed to resolve games with live play rather then dice server games. i mean i understand why thats the default but i remember some games would take forever because the lag time between turns.

Re: Promoting TripleA

Sean Bridges
Thanks for the updated aaazone link, I've updated the community page.

Better documentation is needed.  I think a wiki approach is best, perhaps everyone should focus their efforts on,

http://axisandallies.wikia.com/wiki/Axis_%26_Allies_Wiki

And make that the official documentation?

Re: Promoting TripleA

Bung
Yes the ladder has allowed live games. There are some specific rules regarding edits etc. I suggest you check out the revised ladder rules and have a look.

Re: Promoting TripleA

Bung
Honestly I think if we're going to have official documentation, (how to install maps, how to host, how to get source) it should all be on tripleadev since this is in fact where the game download is, it would look the most legitimate. I think Roger's wiki is more tailored to scenario listings. I mean we already have a guides, and installing link here, I think that we could just use a bit of reorganization here. No doubt there are a few of us webmonkey types that would be happy to get involved.

TripleA Supply Depot opened

OnanTheBrBr
=========> Well, until that, the fabulous TripleA Supply Depot stands ready for the cause. <==========

Most comprehensive but compact link list at the moment, I believe. A TripleA beginners wet dream, featuring valuable recources, 5 essential vitamins, insights into the abysses of TripleA play, answers to everything concerning TripleA and the universe ------------ aaaaand -------- T-Pain.

Dont forget to press the play button below when watching the map slideshow.

Regards,
EB

The full Link again: http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/

This was some funny click-click programming :)

Would be nice if you guys (sgb, Bung, U-boat, RogerCooper for example) could link this page.

For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Promoting TripleA

OnanTheBrBr
Ok, I did my share for now. Updated the Wikipedia entry of TripleA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TripleA_%28computer_game%29
as well as the reference in the Axis and Allies Wikipedia entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_%26_Allies#Computer_games
a bit.
Still looks crappy - first time I did something on Wikipedia -, but a bit more appealing then before.

Tried to find a balance, not to trigger a new Hasbo response, but providing enough information.

Still think a cool gameplay video would help a lot promoting the game, and I am not going to do that too, so volunteers step up (White Elk?).
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Promoting TripleA

Sean Bridges
Anything that doesn't involve me is going to get done a lot faster.  Any time I have for TripleA now is spent working on bugs.

If I update the install page to mention installing mods, and make the links to the wiki more prominent (maybe a mods tab on the sidebar that links to the wiki) then we can put a lot more info on options/mods/where to download on the wiki?  Would that be good enough?

Also, there are some docs included with TripleA.  If anyone can update those, it would be great.

Re: Promoting TripleA

OnanTheBrBr
Yep, the install page should surely mention the possibility of installing Mods.
Feel free to link to my Mods page with the slideshow depicting installation, or to use the pictures for documentation here.

I made a "jobs" section at the TripleA Supply Depot, listing some of the things that could be done around TripleA by people willing to do something.
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Promoting TripleA

Wisconsin
The link to the AAA Zone website displays the correct address, but it still links to the old website at "http://www.aaazone.com/". One other small problem is that the TripleA War Club is displayed without the r in TripleAWarClub. It shows: "The TripleAWaclub ladder can be found here"

Re: Promoting TripleA

OnanTheBrBr
The Wikia is a promising project. However, at the time being, I find it, frankly, too cluttered with ads and too unstructured to be helpful to beginners as starting resource. I list it, however, in the Links section of course.
But I can see, Roger is constantly working on it.
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Promoting TripleA

Sean Bridges
Thanks, fixed.

Re: Promoting TripleA

WhiteElk
I very much appreciate and respect all the hard work and time that people have put into this project and community!  I don't think that suggesting the addition of more information should take anything away from the selfless efforts of those who continue to develop the game and support this community.  Thank you all for your good works!!

It is great to have numerous sites providing help resources and linking to TripleA.  And TY Ernie for setting up the Supply Depot!  The more sites that promote and link to TripleA the better.  For one thing... more cross links makes for better ranking in the search engines.  I found this site through Google (while searching for info on an unofficial expansion to the board game of A&A called World at War). I'm sure that others found TripleA via search engines as well.

The Community link under the Navigation portal is helpful.  As are the links there.  But I still think there is need for a master help/info thread here at this forum.  Along with a second thread containing a master link list.  I think these should both be stickied in the Announcements forum.  They should be the first two topics that visitors see when they enter the forum.  Links to these two threads could be included in the download "Read Me" file.

So my suggestions are...

The making of a "Welcome to TripleA" thread.  Sticky it as the first thread in the Announcements Forum.  In the first post of that thread include basic info that noobs and prospective players of this game will find helpful.  Perhaps include some screenshots and other info to demonstrate the variety of games which TripleA supports (for people who read this thread before deciding if they will install the game).  Make the second post an FAQ and instruct people to ask their questions in this Welcome thread.  In this way, the spam of repetitive questions throughout the forums will be limited, by attempting to contain them here. And people with questions should more readily find their answers.  As new questions are answered, the FAQ is updated.

Then make a second sticky in the Announcement Forum... call it something like "TripleA's Master Link List".  Include links for all things TripleA!  Provide links to Tutorials, Variant Rules, Mod Installation and Creation, the Joining and Hosting of lobby games, a Master Mods List... etc. Provide a one stop shop of links for all things TripleA!  This thread should be locked to postings. So only the OP and Admin can post.  In this way we can all subscribe to the thread to get automatic email alerts when new additions have been added to the resource list... including the latest version of TripleA, new mods, new tutorials, etc.

 I understand the need to minimize the number of stickied threads.  I think that a Master Link List would help reduce the need for numerous sticky threads, while still providing efficient access to useful information which tends to get buried within all the postings.  However I do believe that the Development and Maps and Mods forums could each use a master sticky.  In the Development Forum, this thread could contain information which helps us to help the developers... such as detailing the proper use of SourceForge for the posting of bugs, suggestions and feature requests.  Basically just an expansion of the sticky thread which Sean has already provided.  It could also provide links to discussions that the Developers find useful.

For the Maps and Mods Forum, I think there is need of consolidating the current two stickies into one master mod resource list.  Include Bung's useful Get "Download Maps" links here! thread which has dropped off the main page.  All three of those threads (and others) justify being stickied.  But they can't all be stickied, so why not make one sticky to contain them all?  Another useful link would be a Tutorial thread on how to use Wisconsin's Map Creator.  There are other threads which currently exist, or can be made, to help the creators and the players of mods.  But I think most important of all, is the need of a Master Mod list.  All mods be posted in a single thread, which is updated as new mods are created.  This Master Mod list could be a non-stickied thread which is linked to via the "Maps and Mods Master Resource List". Each mod should have a brief description along with a link to download. And a link to the creators original mod thread.  If the creator does not provide an in depth posting of their mod, perhaps a second link to a more detailed description could also be provided (perhaps at Rogers Wiki)?  Here is an example of a Master Mod Link system which I have found to be quite useful.  There are various ways to go about the organization of a master list.  But there is some basic info that I think would be required with any method... Mod and Creators name, which version of TripleA supports the mod, link to download, link to creators mod thread, and a brief description.

I've other suggestions for the actual promotion of TripleA.  But for now I think the biggest priority is to set things up such that new players can more easily find what they seek.  And I feel that the better documented the mods are, the more they will be played.  And the more the mods are played the more hooked new players will become.  The more hooked that players become, the more they will share this game with friends.  The more people that play, means its easier to find open lobby games, which equates to a better player experience which will ideally snowball into even more people spreading the word of this gem of a game.

A link to the TripleA wiki (work in progress)

Re: Promoting TripleA

OnanTheBrBr
Hey WhiteElk.

All good points. Main problem is probably, that sgb is busy programming and doesnt have time for ordering the threads.

Would actually be cool, if you could just set up a new thread where u start building that Master Link List. I am pretty sure, sgb will make it sticky, if it looks ok. And you actually seem to be somebody with a well structured approach to me, probably best fitted to set it up. Would be most welcomed.

The joining of the 2 Mod threads probably has to be done using forum admin rights.

I aint sure what u mean concerning the cross linking. I tried to cross link between the TripleA sites as much as possible. If you have suggestions to intensify that, they are welcome.

Regards,
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Promoting TripleA

OnanTheBrBr
As of today, the TripleA player base almost doubled. Both the TripleA 1.0.0.3 and even slightly more the TripleA 1.1.1.0 Lobby are crowded with almost a hundred players at a time in total.

Cheers!

EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Promoting TripleA

I pretty much agree with everything you've said whiteelk.

I also think there there needs to be a link from the main page http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/TripleA to the "Welcome to TripleA / If you are new click here" stickied forum thread (with the explanation of what TripleA is, a setup tutorial, a download maps tutorial, a forum tutorial, and a massive master list of all links, etc.)