Possible new look for occupied territories

Possible new look for occupied territories

hepster
Here is an idea I've wondered about since I first started playing.  Is it possible to make occupied territories have a semi-transparent image in the territory instead of just a colour?  I mocked up an image as an example.  Just an idea to make the maps look cooler during game play since the newer additions of relief tiles have added a whole new polished look to some of the games and given TripleA a real professional and finished appearance.  (everyone can appreciate a sexy looking game)

Obviously I have limited ability with design software.  The idea is that once terrain relief tiles are added the national flag (or military symbol) would appear in an occupied territory as a semi-transparent image.

Just an idea to increase the sexy factor of the games.  I have no idea whether it is possible or how labour intensive doing this would be.

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

unfortunately no,
the game fills the territories with a hex color.

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

hepster
Oh well.  It was just an idea.

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

It's an interesting idea.  I've always liked the the WW2 propaganda films showed japnese expansion with an expanding rising sun flag.  The technical challenge would be how to handle the transparent images in adjacent territories.  Would they combine or be distinct.  I'll kick the idea around in my infinite free time.  ;)

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

hepster
My thoughts exactly, some of the vintage stuff is impressive looking and might be very cool as in-game graphics showing the expanding tide of different nations.  I was looking at it from 2 angles.

1) The national flag is centered to the center point of each territory (as displayed in the pic I attached)

2) The national flag is centered on the capital (or all original territories)  of the nation and spreads out as new occupied Territories are captured (meaning that the image spans the entire map but is only revealed as new territories are occupied).

I think it would a very cool effect.  Certainly not a priority given all the things that seem to be outstanding as requests, but definitely worth looking into as a potential sexy addition to an already fantastic game system.

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

hepster
Here's a different idea along the same lines.

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

have you seen Global War 1&2 ?

they have implemented exactly what you are asking for, with having a flag positioned in each territory.
You could easily change the graphics of course, to have the flag on a pole or w/e you want.

basically, each player (including neutral) has a unit called "flag".
the neutral's flag png is blank and transparent, while each nation uses their own flag.
a single flag starts in each territory in the game.
and flags can not be built.
and the flag is set to be a "factory", which means it get captured instead of being killed or fighting.  since users don't know it is a factory, they don't try to build with it ;p

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

Veqryn, the global war you refer to is not Triplea?  I have the global war maps for Triplea but they do not have flags.  Is this a different game?

Re: Possible new look for occupied territories

guess you didn't try gw2....?