Please leave the old maps available

HuskerMike
I see that 270 BC has been changed (the map). I understand that people like pretty maps. But, I much prefer the plain maps. How about, when a map is made fancy, a "Plain" version is kept as a seperate game or mod? I shudder to think about someone "improving" the Middle Earth map. It is fine the way it is.
Go Big Red!

Re: Please leave the old maps available

i do not understand why anyone would like the old 270bc map,

but this is not the first request for the old map to be made available,

therefore i already did, the old version is available as a map skin:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/maps/270BC-old_skin.zip/download

btw: middle earth's current version IS the fancy version

you can delete the "relief tile" folder to see the non fancy version

Re: Please leave the old maps available

HuskerMike
Thank you. I learned about map skins, today. I prefer the old skin in 270 B.C. and the original skin in Middle Earth. I think some of us have chess backgrounds and such, and the fancier the map, the harder it is to process the data.

Actually, I much prefer the plain, garish original Nova A&A map to the fancy Hasbro A&A map.

The turn order was different (and better), too. It was:

1. Purchase
2. Collect income
3. Attack adjacent areas. Air units could attack like they do now.
4. Movement. Also, air units that didn't attack could move into areas captured by other units this phase.
5. Place new units.

Each country had a special power, which was also fun:

Russia: Could move 1 factory per turn.
Germany: They could designate 1 armor unit as the Afrika Korps each turn. For that turn it was a 4-5-2.
Britain had their Home Guard. Infantry in England were 1-3-1.
Japanese had Kamikazes. Each turn they could attack with 1 fighter on a 1-way trip. Attack factor = 4. Could fight multiple rounds.
USA had marines: US infantry were 2-2-1's in amphibious assaults.

That was the original Axis & Allies.

Also, there were no chips. You were strictly limited to the counter mix:

20 infantry
15 armor
10 fighter
6 bomber
etc.

Nova map:

Go Big Red!

Re: Please leave the old maps available

hepster
The other thing about 270BC is that if you turn off the map details (in the drop down menu under view) the map looks exactly the way it did before.  The only difference is slightly adjusted colours so that they look more natural and better suited to the nation.

Re: Please leave the old maps available

I am working on the Nova Games Edition. I will create a thread when the map is finalized. Some of the rules are hard to handle in TripleA.

If you don't like the map skin, you can just turn it off (View/Show Map Details). There are some scenarios I prefer to play that way.

If you like old scenarios, try my list at The Axis & Allies Wiki. I have some stuff that never made it to download site (no comment on the quality of the scenarios).

Re: Please leave the old maps available

HuskerMike
That is a lot of scenarios! Thanks!

Mike