Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

Frostion
Can someone please explain what this feature does? What happens when true and false? "Only in enemy territories" compared to what? I guess it means something for the isAirTransportable/paratrooper units?

From PoS2.XML and the Wiki, and there is no further information about what it does:
<property name="Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories" value="false" editable="false">
<boolean/>
</property>

The only other info I can find on the forum is:
* Created new game option, "Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories", to help control different behavior for airborne tech. (veqryn)

Re: Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

GhostWriter
ahhh. airborne. one of my favorite unit types.

does this mean that we can add airborne units to our games? if so, how?

GhostWriter

Re: Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

my memory is a bit fuzzy, but i think:
it is related to the airborne tech, for global 1940
if true, it can only be used in enemy territories, and if false it can be use anywhere
to use it, i think you need a custom tech attachment
it is not the same as paratroopers or isAirTransportable

Re: Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

GhostWriter
IIRC, the paratrooper unit does not need a picture because it is the infantry unit with modified stats, and thus, would be treated similar to the marine unit - one extra attack point only while 'jumping' out of an aircraft/bomber. also, does the bomber need a modified ability to drop paratroopers, or is that ability already in place?

this unit would make an excellent addition to the game.

Veqryn: it is not the same as paratroopers or isAirTransportable

to me, they are the same. so, what is the difference?

Veqryn: to use it, i think you need a custom tech attachment

could you not just be able to activate the ability as part of the game/scenario?

GhostWriter

Re: Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

Just because the words "airborne" and "paratrooper" mean the same or similar things in their daily usage does not mean the game engine treats them the same.
We are based on A&A, which over its lifetime has had at least 3 different rules around what a paratrooper/airborne-inf is, each of them quite different.
So, we have the paratrooper tech, which is a semi-customizable implementation of AA50 paratrooper rules.
And the airborne tech, which is a semi-customizable implementation of the Global 1950 airborne/paratrooper rules.

If you want to activate it as part of your scenario, then simply create the tech and give it to the players.

Re: Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

Frostion
@ Veqryn
Thx for the answer. I have looket a bit in the “ww2global40_2nd_edition.xml”, and yes, there seems to be a custom tech called Airborne_Forces. But I still don’t get it. Is this basically an old or alternative type of the “paratrooper” tech? Why would one use this instead of the other paratrooper tech that seems a lot simpler? Is it just because it is better to emulate some specific board game rules? And is GhostWriter right when talking about a +1 to the paratroopers when attacking from air?

@Anyone who is wants to use this code and don’t want to find all the code, here is what I looked at:
Delegate (the airborn forces seem to move just after the normal attack move is done):
<delegate name="specialCombatMove" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.delegate.SpecialMoveDelegate" display="Airborne Attack Move"/>

Player step:
<step name="italianAirborneCombatMove" delegate="specialCombatMove" player="Italians" display="Airborne Attack Move">
<stepProperty name="airborneMove" value="true"/>
</step>

Tech name:
<techname name="Airborne_Forces"/>

Tech attachment:
<attatchment name="techAbilityAttachment" attatchTo="Airborne_Forces" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TechAbilityAttachment" type="technology">
<option name="airborneForces" value="true"/>
<option name="airborneCapacity" value="2:airfield"/>
<option name="airborneBases" value="airfield"/>
<option name="airborneTypes" value="infantry"/>
<option name="airborneDistance" value="3"/>
<option name="airborneTargettedByAA" value="AA:infantry"/>
</attatchment>

Tech values (From Pact_of_steel_2.xml):
airborneForces value: "true" or "false", does this tech allow the owner to start making airborne movements?  At least 1 tech must have this as true, for it to be turned on.

airborneCapacity value: gives some amount of capacity to an airborne base, for the number of units that can be launched from there.  must be an integer, followed by a colon ":", followed by the name of the unit.  Effects from multiple techs are added together.

airborneBases value: sets which units are airborne base units, therefore which units are required at the start territory.  must be a list of unit types, separated by a colon ":". Effects from multiple techs are added together.

airborneTypes value: sets which units are airborne type units, therefore which units get to move.  must be a list of unit types, separated by a colon ":". Effects from multiple techs are added together.

airborneDistance value: sets the maximum distance for moving any airborne type unit. must be an integer (default 0) between 0 and 100.  Effects from multiple techs are added together.

airborneTargettedByAA value: sets which airborne units are subject to AA gun fire, and by what aa types. First is the "targetsAA" that can hit these units, and next is a list of units hit by it. Effects from multiple techs are added together.

Bomber seems to just use:
<option name="isAirTransport" value="true"/>
<option name="transportCapacity" value="2"/>

And the infantry:
 <option name="isAirTransportable" value="true"/>

Some properties:
<property name="Airborne Attacks Only In Existing Battles" value="true" editable="false">
<boolean/>
</property>
<property name="Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories" value="false" editable="false">
<boolean/>
</property>

Re: Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

@GhostWriter
I have used paratroopers in my maps. Here is the stuff you would need when making paratroopers and air planes that can drop them:

Player needs to have access to the tech:
<technologies>
<techname name="paratroopers"/>
<techname name="mechanizedInfantry"/>
</technologies>

Player needs to have the tech developed and ready to use:
<attatchment name="techAttatchment" attatchTo="USA" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TechAttachment" type="player">
<option name="paratroopers" value="true"/>
<option name="mechanizedInfantry" value="true"/>
</attatchment>

You give some planes the ability to carry the paratroopers, and yes it could also just be a bomber:
<attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="Air-Transport" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
<option name="attack" value="1"/>
<option name="defense" value="1"/>
<option name="movement" value="6"/>
<option name="carrierCost" value="2"/>
<option name="isAir" value="true"/>
<option name="isAirTransport" value="true"/>
<option name="transportCapacity" value="3"/>

</attatchment>

You need to give the infantry the ability to use the parachutes:
<attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="Infantry" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
<option name="isInfantry" value="true"/>
<option name="attack" value="7"/>
<option name="defense" value="8"/>
<option name="movement" value="1"/>
<option name="transportCost" value="1"/>
<option name="isAirTransportable" value="true"/>
</attatchment>

You can set some other values at the end of the xml:
<property name="Paratroopers Can Move During Non Combat" value="true" editable="false">
<boolean/>
</property>
<property name="Paratroopers Can Attack Deep Into Enemy Territory" value="true" editable="false">
<boolean/>
</property>
(The deep into enemy territories lets you fly over one or more enemy territories before dropping and attacking another territory.)

Re: Please explain ”Airborne Attacks Only In Enemy Territories”

it is based on the rules for paratroopers/airborne from global 1940, so i'd read that rulebook...