Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

amanntai
Hello! Okay, so I'm very new to TripleA (I've only played offline and Hotseat so far, and only like 10 games or so), but I was instantly intrigued by the idea of creating and modifying maps. I immediately sprung into modding a map, only to be met with error code after error code. Several hours later, I think I've finally got some of the basics down. Just one thing is bugging me:

Every time I attempt to change the name of a faction, after going through the entire xml file to change the faction's name, changing the capitals file to the new faction name, renaming the units folder for that faction, changing the flag names, etc., I still end up with a serious problem: I've changed the faction name in the map properties file, but left the color code unchanged, and yet the color for that faction is now different! I've even checked the color code listed to see if it was what is was supposed to be, and tried changing the code to something else, but nothing works to make the faction color correct. Why? Can someone help me and tell me where I went wrong?

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

@amanntai - Best thing to do with be post your updated files so someone can take a look at them.

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

amanntai
Large_Middle_Earth_Edit.xml

map.properties

Here are the map properties and xml files. If you need to look at another file, I'll upload it.

The files are a personal modification of the very excellent Large Middle Earth: Third Age All Stars map, where my mod focuses mostly on trying to replace the Arnor player with a "Dunedain" player. Because Freefolk already had a ranger unit and the right color scheme, I started by swapping the two player's starting territories, and changing a few units' around. All that worked spectacularly.

The trouble came in when I changed "Freefolk" to "Dunedain" in every file I could find "Freefolk" in, with plans to later change every instance of "Arnor" to "Freefolk" if the first worked. I succeeded in getting the player name completely changed (it now reads as "Dunedain" in the starting player list, and in all the buy and combat phases, and when adding units in edit mode, etc.), but now the Dunedain color is red rather than a nice green. I left the color code in the properties file unchanged, so I don't know the reason for this.

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

amanntai
Hey, it's been awhile, but I'm finally back to a point in my life where I have time for this kind of stuff. And I still want an answer to this question.

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

crazy_german
The color of a player's territory is set in the map.properties file in the folder. Just add the name of the new nation to that file and you should be good to go. I glanced at the files posted and I don't see any immediate issue. Is there a specific nation whose color is wrong?

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

Is this supposed to be a mod of "Large_Middle_Earth" or not?

If this is not a mod of "Large_Middle_Earth", then you need to change the
property name="mapName"
to have a value equal to the name of your map's folder.

Yes, specifically, the player named "Dunedain" appears in the game as having bright red territories. The color code in the map.properties should be for a green color.

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

amanntai
It is a mod, but I believe I saved it as a separate map titled Large Middle Earth Edit, because I wanted to play both the normal and modified versions.

Would changing the name property fix the problem?

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

Cernel
Games are made up of an xml data and an original skin. The original skin is everything relevant for the game but the xml itself and it is the map's folder.

The map.properties is a skin element, and, as all skin elements, it is called from the xml based on the folder name, that has to be exactly the same as what it is in the:

property name="mapName"

In your case, I seem to understand that you need to change your xml entry to:

property name="mapName" value="Large Middle Earth Edit" editable="false"

And, if this is the case, what you are making is not a mod. You are making a mod when you modify the xml only and keep referring to the folder (skin) of the original map (which means you cannot change players colours in a mod). What you are doing is a stand-alone map, that may or may not be very similar to the one you started from, but it is a new map, not a mod, nonetheless.

In TripleA "mod" normally means a "map's mod", meaning a different game using the same "map" folder.

So, you are making (mostly cloning) a "map", not a "mod".

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

amanntai
Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I cannot check to see if this works right now, as I seem to be having an error with Triple A's 1.9 prerelease.

In anticipation of not being able to use the computer I was working on ever again, I backed up every Triple A thing I had to Google Drive last December. Or so I thought. I have folders named "Large Middle Earth Edit" and "Large Middle Earth Edit 2", but they both appear to be carbon copies of the original map and not any kind of edited versions, making the xml and map.properties I uploaded here literally the only remaining files of my work last year. :(

I lost several edited unit images, and I don't think this xml here was the latest version of my "map". I will have to do all that over again.

I understand why you consider this a new map, I guess I just considered this a modification of the original, and thus a "mod" for short.

Re: Player Color incorrect when Player name is changed?

Cernel
Sorry to hear that. Some not backwards compatible changes have been made in 1.9. A documentation about how to update old maps is coming out soon. Meanwhile, you can either playtest it with 1.8.0.9 or, if you have lost most of the stuff, just redo it from the latest release in:
http://github.com/triplea-maps/
that should work with the latest prerelease.
History plays dice