PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

gudkarma

pretty simple.
dont use with a white neutral unit as a base.
its better with colored one. i started with the NWO Russian unit in this case.

Download the latest version of SENGOKU JIDAI for TripleA.

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

OnanTheBrBr-2
This post was updated on .
Awesome. Just great. Thx a lot.
Cheers,
EB

Thx for the hint at gimp, crystalct.
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

crystalct
Right!
For those who have difficulty obtaining photoshop, the same function is present on gimp 2 (freeware).
---------
Droid Rulez

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

you can also use Paint.Net
which is what i used to recolor units for pac40, it is the exact same process.  I will say though that you should keep the saturation low in numbers or your units will look like candy.  and i would not touch the lightness, just lower the saturation even more if you want.

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

Pulicat
Ahhh thanks gudkarma! Bye bye clumsy semi-opaque layering.... :D

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

Joe Pants
Much easier than what I was doing!

Any tips for making units from photos?

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

ubernaut
posterizing color can sometimes make it a bit more cartoony especially if they are small enough. main problem i would think would be getting matching perspectives if using pictures to create unit images.

i think the way to go ultimately is with 3d models. PS isn't really the best tool for 3D but it does have some rudimentary capabilities.

BTW all you photoshop geeks out there photoshop turns 20 this month! (hard to believe for those who've been using it since before then). If your interested their having a podcast about it this evening:

http://www.photoshopuser.com/photoshop20th

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

U-boat
but can you change multiple images' colors at the same time without individually saving them?

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

gudkarma
thats whats layers are for. can have the all countires or even the entire game in one file.

batch processing is your key there. need to create an action then apply it to a selection of images.

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

OnanTheBrBr
Thx ubernaut. Didnt know photoshop was capable making and processing batches, although it seems logical it is, now that I know. When googled for it, tutorials are among the first hits. Nice.

@Veqryn:

Maybe have this thread be linked in the help thread somewhere, maybe in some dummy section about map development at least.

For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

ubernaut
yeah but a lot of of those features have actually been moved over to bridge as of the latest versions. fyi.

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

cardwell9
This can also be done in the Free Open-source Program GIMP

GIMP TUTORIAL: How to Easily Change Colors of a Unit ect

Open the Unit Image Using GIMP From the File Menu

Open Hue Saturation under the Colors Menu

Change the Hue Saturation and Tone to the desired Color

GIMP is a Free Program that can be downloaded at:
http://www.gimp.org
"There is no higher religion than human service. To work for the common good is the greatest creed."
- Woodrow Wilson

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

cardwell9
Sorry about the Big Images. I forgot to change the resolution before posting.
I just hope this helps.
"There is no higher religion than human service. To work for the common good is the greatest creed."
- Woodrow Wilson

Re: PHOTOSHOP TUTORIAL: How to easily change colors of a unit etc.

Cleisthenis
Joe Pants wrote
Any tips for making units from photos?
I haven't done this yet, but I'm planning on having a go at it soon. I'm going to try and start with creating vector outlines from the images using vectormagic, cleaning up the areas of the photos outside the outline of the unit (by deleting those vectors in Illustrator) and then exporting to a bitmap file to tweak shading and colouring. The benefit of starting with a vector based image file is that you can scale it up and down cleanly, and legally speaking I'm pretty sure that constitutes a unique enough derivative work to at least the point of plausible deniability.

If anyone here has experience with unit artwork creation, or has links to other threads or guides on this please let us know. Here are some threads I found for background:

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Official-TripleA-Unit-Graphics-Catalogue-td7032922.html
http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/A-few-scratches-I-was-putting-together-td5804645.html
http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Alternate-Unit-Artwork-Style-td5570148.html
http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Request-for-artwork-td5752922.html#a5754173