New Forums

Sean Bridges
Pughead has hosted the tripleadev.org and tripleawarclub.org forums for a long time now.  He has paid for server time, domain name registration, and put in many hours of work maintaining the sites.  For personal issues, he can no longer maintain the sites.  There was an attempt to transfer the domains, but I don't think Pughead will be able to complete the transfer.  I would like to thank Pughead for all his work, but we need a new home for the forums, and at least temporarily this is it.

The main loss is the extensive history of tripleadev.org.  There was a lot of content in the old forums.  I'll follow up with Pughead and see if it can be recovered in some form.

Do people like this forum, can people suggest alternatives?

Tripleawarclub.org users, please discuss here (http://n2.nabble.com/TripleAWarClub-replacement-tp1671671p1671671.html).

Sean

Re: New Forums

And just when I was figuring out how not to screw up the entire post on the new development for TripleA50.

Re: New Forums

Bung
Hey Sean,

There is hope that the two hosting accounts that those sites are on are still alive. Unfortunately, we did not check the DNS nameservers to give us a hit as to who is hosting it before it went offline. Anyways, for the content, yea we really are stuck unless pughead responds to you with the hosts of those sites. IF he does respond with the names of the companies even, then surely they have backups which we could snag (or hopefully the hosting is still running like i said.) I really feel that since you are the lead dev you should be the one in communication with these companies, that is you need to call a manager and explain that you are lead dev, show that on SF.net and see what they can do for you.

I had been randomly talking to people like bayder and other lobby players, and they all talked about just calling godaddy and paying for the domains. However, there are two issues with that, again the hosting might  be out, and GoDadddy wont let other people pay for a domain (go figure?!)

So, we are stuck waiting for those domains to come back into the public arena in order to rereg them, however at this point, we could easily advertise a new domain name in the lobby welcome message.

OTOH, there has been alot of love shown from the regular users, talking about donating etc. I am also very very interested in getting this community running smoothly again. I would be happy to setup and host a new domain and forums on the same server as the lobby (im already paying for that.) Clearly we may have lost alot of good data, but I figure if we start new, at least it will be with the current active people :) I know you have spent the time to setup this little forum, and Im not sure if you want to go with this as the official one.

There are lots of techno wizards out there, lots of people talking about hosting and domains etc, so I really would like to see sean take the lead on this one before we end up with 3 people hosting new triplea websites.

OK well Ive been rambling on and on, time to stop hehe :) But yea, once again, Id be happy to setup some forums and domain on the lobby server.

Re: New Forums

Sean Bridges
Administrator
From what I understand, it is Go-daddy registering the domains, and host-gator which hosts the servers.  Pughead may still come through and get us backups or transfer the domains, but we need to start planning for what happens if he doesn't.

I think this forum will replace tripleadev.org.  If you could host a replacement for tripleawarclub, I think that would be great.  Wait a couple days before starting though.

Re: New Forums

Jeema
I'm confused.  What expired, the message board hosting account or the domain registration?  Because it looks like 'tripleadev.org' doesn't expire until Feb 26 2009 according to an internet whois query.

If the hosting account has expired from non-payment, though, and nobody backed up the message board database, then yes, the data is probably gone for good.

This message board seems pretty decent though...

Ben

Re: New Forums

Sean Bridges
Administrator
for tripleawarclub.org the domain registration expired (and perhaps hosting as well).

for tripleadev.org, it looks like the hosting expired.

Re: New Forums

When's the last time you heard anything from Pug?  Having just let a domain registration lapse with GoDaddy, let me tell you it's nearly impossible to NOT know it's happening.  They've been sending me emails at LEAST once a week for probably two months to try to get me to re-register.

If Pug hasn't been around to get those emails, I'm thinking he's not going to be around to transfer anything to us.

Re: New Forums

Sean Bridges
Administrator
I had an email a couple days ago, and he said he would fix tripleadev.org, and he did.  But I think he is very busy with other matters, and doesn't have much time to devote to this.  I'm really torn between trying to finish the transfer, and just abandoning tripleadev.org altogether.

Re: New Forums

Bung
Sean, do you have admin access on the geeklog tripleadev? most times the admin page has a backup function that you can use without knowing the ftp/cpanel info.

As I said there are lots of people willing to put up new sites etc. I can also do one right away, I can easily register tripleawarclub.com/net and setup a new site. I have the last progress of the new xoops ladder that clausewitz and others had started, which I could setup and work on.

We definitely need to decide though, do we want to keep this forum, dev, or go to a new one.

Re: New Forums

Sean Bridges
Administrator
I have admin access, but I don't see a way to backup.

There is this documenation,

http://www.geeklog.net/faqman/index.php?op=view&t=18

But I don't see that I have access to it.  I think I would need ssh access to the server to get the backup after I made it anyway.

Bung, I agree, we should set up a new site to replace tripleawarclub.org, and you are the best person to do it.  This means a new ladder and ladder forum.

I'll keep this forum as a backup dev forum.  If pughead doesn't start the transfer, I may stop allowing posts  on tripleadev.org, and force all development talk here.

Re: New Forums

Bung
Yea it looks like it drops it on the server, that is toooo bad :(

Well, Im prep'ing stuff on the lobby server, all I need to know is what domain we want to go with... just stick with warclub? I think that should work, lemme know ill reg it right away.

Re: New Forums

Sean Bridges
Administrator
Hey,

Pughead just started the transfer of tripleadev.org and triplealadder.org (I didn't even know he had that one).  Hold off for a bit, we may be able to get the old domain.

Sean

Re: New Forums

Bung
Sounds good, let me know... Im on a bit of vacation here and have some time and desire to do some updates and things if you get it workin :)

Re: New Forums

Sean Bridges
Administrator
Hey,

I have tripleadev.org, but tripleawarclub.org is still in never never land.  I say just go ahead and start with a new domain.

Sean

Re: New Forums

Bung
Kewl... Ive got xoops and clause's module installed on my comp and am getting to work on it.

Bung

Re: New Forums

Bung
just another update, ive won the auction on godaddy for the domain tripleawarclub.org, it becomes mine on the 7th of january.

i am working on a site locally, however i update it online from time to time, http://82.146.50.188/