Quantcast

Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X

Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X

We need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X (10.10 Yosemite, 10.9 Mavericks, and 10.8 Mountain Lion).

Apple used to make the "Java runtime environment" (JRE) that was installed on Macs.  The last version they made was based on Java 6.  In addition, they bundled some of their own classes together into a package called AppleJavaExtensions, which allowed apps to make their java apps feel more like native MacOSX apps.

They stopped making new versions of java for mac some time ago, and sometime later Oracle started releasing JRE's for Mac OS X.  Oracle started with Java 7 and Java 8.  The have also added these AppleJavaExtensions, but possibly with renamed classpaths (I really don't know).

Because of this change from Apple Java 6, to Oracle Java 7/8, TripleA is having some issues installing or running on really new Macs.

Some of the symptoms are:
Requesting the user downgrade to Apple Java 6 in order to use TripleA.
Not being able to install.

I don't have a Mac, and even if I could borrow one I know nothing about developing java apps on the mac.

Could someone who has this ability, please take a look for us?

thanks,

Re: Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X

Patrik
Hi

I have no clue of how to write Java apps but..

I thougt Java was platform independent, - maby its not..

example (of what i thougt was the case)
write some code to open a window and print 'Hello' should work on any java installation independent of platform and should be forward compatible (meaning a os running JRE with capabilities of open a window and print text, - should work now and in 50 years)

the case thay added (Oracle / Apple) some graphics library shouldnt matter as long as u use standard java librarys, its the java installation that needs to call the added library - NOT the code itself, -SO the same java code for open our windiw and print 'Hello' should work on Mac, PC, Tablets etc... independenly -but it MAY look differently -different style windows for example

Was just a thought that rushed trough my mind

/Patrik

Re: Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X

bernat
I recommend switching to Gradle, and using a maintained plugin such as: https://code.google.com/p/gradle-macappbundle/ for an easy solution. :)

Re: Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X

aaalafayette
Administrator
bernat wrote
Following up @bernat, was that plugin ever put in place?

Re: Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X

bernat
We opted instead for the install4j solution. Does that works for you?

Bernát GÁBOR

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:32 AM, aaalafayette [via tripleadev] <[hidden email]> wrote:
bernat wrote
I recommend switching to Gradle, and using a maintained plugin such as: https://code.google.com/p/gradle-macappbundle/ for an easy solution. :)
Following up @bernat, was that plugin ever put in place?

To unsubscribe from Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X, click here.
NAML

Re: Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X

aaalafayette
Administrator
Indeed, thanks for following up (unpinning this topic)

Re: Need help from someone who has created java apps for Mac OS X

ubernaut
hey not sure if if this will apply if you are changing the way triplea is built on mac but in the latest version its weird visual glitch when you scroll it only does this when you manually scroll if you click to scroll it doesn't happen. glad to help with testing :)