Quantcast

Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

aaalafayette
Administrator
I'm building a unit 'scroller', and could use some help with graphics. Specifically replacements for the  4 buttons in the screenshot below.

As far as requirements:
- png is preferred format
- the file size size can be on the larger side,  generally smaller the better

Some notes on the feature:
- The right arrow will do the same thing as pressing "n"
- A tooltip text when hovering over the right arrow will say "click this button or press the 'n' key to select the next unit"
- The left arrow will be added with mapping to 'p', 'c' for the center, and 'skip' will be mapped to the space bar
- The 'units left to move' counter will count down as you move units, so if a person pressed space 58 times, the 'n' key would not select any new units, and the units left to move counter would be at 0.
- I still need to do some work the layout spacing. With that there is some flexibility to take up more vertical space. Overall the 'unit scroller' I do not think should be any larger than the minimap.

Multiple skins are welcome, we could change to different skins to match map era. For now a good default to go with the standard WW2 maps is the biggest need. If you can start working on something, please add a note. Also I'd be happy to hear feedback about the new feature.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

ubernaut
heres a few basic icons i like for these:

next/previous:

center:

skip:

let me know if anything rings your bell and i will make them to spec fyi this are coming form here:

flaticon.com

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

aaalafayette
Administrator
The extra vertical line at the end of the arrow ">|" is bugging me a bit. I think we can go simpler  ">" . Otherwise they look good, clean/simple.

Out of the center images: A, B, C;  I like B and C quite a bit. Perhaps B more, Ican see clicking that and having the map center.

For skip I was thinking more of an X shape. The multiple arrows might seem like 'skip forward', rather than 'skip this unit'.

'>' will cycle through units indefinitely, 'skip' is similar but cycles through units only once.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

aaalafayette
Administrator
Another thing I just realized, we'll probably want a button for the highlight all 'f' key functionality of the game. Not sure about the placement/size/location, but it's a 5th button likely we'll want to incorporate.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

I was thinking at the X for the skip too.

And I think the converging black arrows (second one) are best of the 3 for the center. The target (third one) definitively not, because it's like you are gona fire on your units.

Regarding the left / right I think those should not have an image, but just a not-image symbol, ideally the same one used in the button for going back and forth in history.

If there is a simple arrow symbol, I suggest that.

Btw, you should give the exact pixels dimension of the images you want.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

Cernel
For info, the X I drew it myself (no rights reserved), here it the red version one:

And what about a different symbol for the units that will die if you don't move them (normally, aircrafts)?:

(skull image by Hepps, modified by me, no rights reserved on my side)

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

ubernaut
This post was updated on .
if the buttons are meant to be intuitive visually without any text cues then i don't think an x shape really says "skip" more of a "cancel" i think. i think a dash or a triple z snooze icon probably says that better myself. i do sort dig the idea of highlighting units which will die if not moved though.

what is the size you want these images to be?

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

aaalafayette
Administrator
The unit image you see on the territory panel when you hover over territories can be used as a reference. That'll be the same image that appears in the center. The entire unit scroller can be at most 200px wide and 250px tall.

So.. with that, 50-100px square roughly per image.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

aaalafayette
before i forget:
- 'zzz' or 'sleep' is much better than 'skip'

@cernel, the skip will not disable the end of turn "you have units that will crash". One problem we have with the "n" key alone is that units you do not want to move keep cycling through. So the space bar / sleep option  would let you say "yes, this AA gun is going to stay here this turn and I'm not moving it, show me other stuff that can still move"

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

The X I posted are 64x64, but with borders, the X itself being 30x33; that should be fine.

I agree that X seems like nullifying all movements for that unit but I like the alternatives less. I guess just leaving the "skip", then. "zzz" is dumb, imo. If I must choose a proposal, I prefer the "dash"; but not enough telling.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

aaalafayette
Administrator
In the code I've been calling it "skip", but it's probably better to call it "sleep", and in the help notes  / hover notes it's better to not use the "skip" terminology as well IMO.

The buttons are not going to have text on them, they shouldn't need it.  We have room to be creative, either of these two images/icons could work:

Probably not the clock, but the point is that it won't be a button that just says "zzz", that is dumb, I agree. The entrenchment tool is perhaps my favorite "do nothing for this round" icon.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

Cernel
I really dislike the silly clock-zzz and don't like the showel either, especially since the image should be referring to whatever mobile units from ancient times onwards; but if others like them, all good.

I guess if we are going for not abstract images like a showel, we should give mapmakers the freedom to customize them.

What about a gif animation for the center?

(made by me starting from the above image posted by ubernaut from flaticon.com, no rights reserved on my side)

(only problem with anymations is that there are no commonly compatible anime formats that allow shadow (only full transparency or nothing for gif), but maybe ubernaut knows better, if we might use a format allowing animations and partial transparency, like an animated png, that would be interesting to know; in my xp there are not such formats being in widespread use, thus highly compatible, but I'd love to be called wrong)

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

I still believe that just having the button with the word "skip" is good and better than whatever we've come up thus far.

And, yes, I believe "skip" is much better than "sleep".

Anyways, these are just personal preferences, at the end of the day.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

ubernaut
what about these?

not big on having an animated graphic unless we start animating other things.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

Cernel
I still don't like any of the proposals for the skip, but my vote so far would be the refresh with the clock inside.

I'd rather change the clock to a X tho.

So here are my suggested images (both at 128x128 with borders):

center:

skip:

(all images modified by me, starting from the above images posted by ubernaut from flaticon.com, no rights reserved on my side)

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

Cernel
My votes so far are in order:

1. The refresh with the X in the middle.
2. The refresh with the clock in the middle.
3. The moon without the zzz.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

ubernaut
heres a thought, if we want to animate something why not animate a pulsing halo type effect on air units which will die if not moved? a simple pulse effect would be great UX and adaptable i think to any unit zoom.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

ubernaut
just thought of another thing if we can happen to find unicode symbols that will work for these buttons is the of any particular benefit?

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

I believe this would be not easy to add (and mostly out of the scope of this topic), since I've tried and verified that the board does not currently even support animated gif (meaning if you make a gif image as decoration etc. the anymation won't run).

With this said, what's the format you would use for animations with transparency? I only know gif, and it supports no transparency.

Re: Need Gfx for Unit 'scroller': Left / Right / Center / Skip Icons

ubernaut
yeah good point transparency is either on or off with gif