Middle Earth

Ajmdemen
I include 2 links to cool Middle Earth mods. They have been around for some time, but I think the other download links are no longer around.

http://ul.to/qg6751  (nicely balanced, with rivercrossing limited to bridges)
http://ul.to/owak95 (12 nation mod, very nice- though maybe favours evil side somewhat. File size is due to some map graphics I think)

BTW: I take no credit for creating those, am just appreciating player of them :)

Re: Middle Earth

GloriousWolf
I made these maps, you're right, I let my website lapse a while back. Thank you very much for posting them and for the nice review.

Re: Middle Earth

Stallheim
I'm having no luck installing these two mods (I found them at http://axisandallies.wikia.com)
I tried placing the extracted folder in maps, I tried taking out the unit and flag files and copying them into the master image file under flags and maps respectively. I can select the game under choose game, and I can choose and assign AI but when I hit play, either in 12 person or regular I get a very large error page, and it resets the players back to all human. I never get to the map or into the game.

Do you have any hints for me?

Re: Middle Earth

OnanTheBrBr
Usually, you have to copy the CONTENT of the "games" folder from the download into the TripleA "games" folder, and the CONTENT of the "maps" folder from the download into the TripleA "maps" folder.

That applies to every mod and should be sufficient.

You may also want to check if you are using the last STABLE version of TripleA.

Hope that helps,
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Middle Earth

could it be updated with notes about what support is needed by each unit that 'is supportable' and what the support will do?
i mean, does each 'gives support' unit support every single 'is supportable' unit?  and does the support just increase attack by 1 for every supportable unit, or does is it that certain units require specific support, and that specific support does unique things for each supportable unit?

Re: Middle Earth

OnanTheBrBr
You already guessed right here.
Each supportable unit is supported by every unit granting support, and support raises the attack by 1.
This happens on a 1 to 1 basis, so the attack is raised by 1 for a given unit, but not further.

Cheers
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Middle Earth

WhiteElk
I've enjoyed this mod very much!  Thank you GloriousWolf and Ajmdemen.  I've recently played the 12 player version but unfortunately the river crossings are not limited to bridges in that version.  Those choke-hold sites created by the bridges, makes for a more interesting game I think.  Is there any thought to including them in a future 12 player update?
A link to the TripleA wiki (work in progress)

Re: Middle Earth

Vork
I can't get it to load. I press START LOCAL GAME and get the list of players, but when I press play, I get the following message:

ava.lang.IllegalStateException: Found neither zip:C:\Users\acer\Desktop\TripleA\maps\Middle Earth 2 - Tofumod.zip or dir:C:\Users\acer\Desktop\TripleA\maps\Middle Earth 2 - Tofumod for skin:Middle Earth 2 - Tofumod

It appears to be seeking the map on my desktop. It is in my maps folder with all my other mods, which work fine. How can I solve this problem?

Vorkosigan

Re: Middle Earth

Ajmdemen
Veqryn.
Could I ask you to do an update of gamenotes for 1.5 version (guess it's too late for 1.3.2.2.):

1. Change hobbits attack in gamenotes to 0 (it is mistakenly given as 1)
2. Change hunters description to givesSupport (they are mistakenly described as isSupportable).

And the 3rd change I would like to imlepement:
3. Remove SBR ability from Balrog. Update gamenotes accordingly.

Re: Middle Earth

Done.

Actually i'd already updated the notes for middle earth that released with 1.5, and fixed that hobbits mistake and a ton of other little things.
I've now updated 1.5.1 for the hunters and balrog.

Re: Middle Earth

Ajmdemen
Thanks a ton Veq.

1 other little mistake I have spotted: there is a missing connection between S.W. Central Sea Zone and N.E. Central Sea Zone. Would you be able to correct that one also? Sorry about bugging you 2 times with these...

Re: Middle Earth

Ajmdemen
Hi Veq,
could I ask you to add the new version to repository:
[code]http://speedy.sh/Qn8F5/midearth-12p.zip[/code]

I boosted freefolk a bit, increased nazgul price to 27 and moved Rohan's capitol to Helm's Deep. I hope it helps the balance, if it is proved by playtesting, we could add this as default LOTR to next version.

Re: Middle Earth

did anything change other than the xml?

if the only change is in the xml, then please just upload the xml here

i can't access your link

Re: Middle Earth

Ajmdemen
Just xml, here it is

middle_earth_12player.xml

Re: Middle Earth

reecardo
I have been playing this one recently and I find it very difficult to win with Gandolf & co.  Glad to know it is still being tweaked.

Is blitzing problematic also?  For example, in the opening round, the light cavalry in E. Emnet can not blitz to Gladen, the only go as far as Anduin East Bank, though they have three movement.  Is this expected behavior?

Re: Middle Earth

Ajmdemen
Hi,
yeah that's expected for 1st round - you can't blitz through neutrals (it is mentioned in game notes).

Veqryn, any luck uploading it to repository?

Re: Middle Earth

ajm,

the xml you posted is the same on that triplea 1.5.2.1 comes with.

please post the one that you modified

if you have any changes to make, make them now

thx,
veq

Re: Middle Earth

Ajmdemen
Hi Veq,
it seems you are right, sorry.

I did some testing and would like to make the new version default for 1.6. - I will post updated version soon ( I also need to do some updates in game notes still and am at work now with no access to my modifed xml).

When is 1.6. coming out?

Re: Middle Earth

1.6 is already out

1.6.1 is coming out this coming weekend, hopefully

Re: Middle Earth

Ajmdemen
Ah alright. I attach the file that you could use for 1.6.1 then

Please let me know if I did anything wrong, it works well on my end, but Im kinda n00b with xml's.

middle_earth_12player_v1.5.xml
123