Medieval Europe

SantaClaus
Medieval_Europe.zip

MEDIEVAL EUROPE

Game by SantaClaus, graphics by Chili-Bear

UNIT LIST

NAME:     COST: ATTACK: DEFENSE: MOVEMENT: OTHER:
Pikemen     3          1            2              1
Swordmen  4          2            2              1
Archers      5          2           3               1
Catapult     6          4           1              1         Is Artillery
Knights      7           3           3              2          Can Blitz
Castle       20          0          4               0       Is AA on defense
Caravel     10          1           2              2           Carry 1
Galleon     12           3          2               2          Carry 2

ALLIANCES

Alliances are meant to be as historical as possible, however, some nations had to be moved to different alliances for balance.

MUSLIM:              NORTHERN:        SOUTHERN:
Moors                  England             Spanish States
Holy Roman Empire Hungary            Byzantine Empire
Fatimid Caliphate   Scandinavia       Novgorod
Golden Horde        Naples              France
Hafsid Caliphate    Poland-Lithuania Scotland

This game is still in the process of being balanced, and I've only played it against the AI. So all suggestions are welcome at this point.

Re: Medieval Europe

SantaClaus
Screenshot:

Re: Medieval Europe

Chili-Bear
Ah yes I will be updating the graphics soon.

Re: Medieval Europe

L & H Studios
How are we supposed to test and play a map with no units?
Bringing games to life with imagination and toil

Re: Medieval Europe

The download will not load because the game name is spelled differently in every location.  After editing the files to load, it runs into an error loading pikemen unit pics.

The xml file name usually, but does not need to match the game title at the top of the xml.
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE game SYSTEM "game.dtd">
<game>
    <info name="medieval europe" version="0.9"/>
    <loader javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.TripleA"/>
    <triplea minimumVersion="1.6.1.3"/>
    <map>

The folder name needs to match the game title given at the bottom of the xml(game notes area).
        <property name="mapName" value="Medieval_Europe" editable="false"/>

Re: Medieval Europe

SantaClaus
This is what i get for accidentally leaving both the zipped and unzipped folder in my games folder. Oops.
They're both fixed now. Hopefully...

First post updated.

Re: Medieval Europe

Playing a game as Scandenavia vs all AI.  It just turned round 6.  Muslims own more than half of the worlds production.  England is locked at war with Scotland and will probably not enter Europe for many more rounds.  The Muslims are crushing France, Naples is in a defensive hole.  I will need a Miracle to break into a win-possible situation, even against the AI.

Looks like a great idea though.

Possible quick improvements:
- change the game to medieval sounds instead of WWII
- Boost the North and South, or nerf the Muslim alliance.
- the folder name is still not the same as listed in the xml, the folder has a _ symbol, xml has a space.

*** AFTER 1 HOUR...  ok.  I won that one, but it was only because the AI is stupid.  I sent every unit I had at Brunswick(holy Roman capital) and barely took it.  Everthing collapsed, making it just a matter of time for the win.

Re: Medieval Europe

Rolf Larsson
First of all, great work!
The map covers a timeperiod that was missing here.
Map:
- Most territories look good, regarding the number of borders and the strategical effect in the game.
- Some names are a little questionable so.
- Malta was of strategical importance, it is missing.
- Some borders could be drawn cleaner.
- In most cases, except Palestine and Cyrene, it is possible to maneuver along, not beeing blocked by one single territory, which is very good imo.

Setup and Alliances:
- Alliances are hard to justify, for gameplay they seem to be fine. An FFA would be good, but can come later of course and will be hard to gather so many players and finish a game.
- Some more neutrals seem to be good so, Portugal, Zurich, Venice and Genoa were independent most of the time I think, etc.
- Golden Horde came rather late to the party 1300+.
- Seljuks in Turkey territory could be another player, while those territories in what is now called Turkey are a little big.
- What about Rome and a papal state? Could be allied to all christian nations.

Units:
- Caravel and Galleon, well 2Pus seem a little low for double transport capacity and +2 attack. Images here are much more from 16th or 17th century(Galleon).
- Castles do both, be good defensive units and allow for production. Having two different ones instead
seems better to me. The AA ability of castles is nice, you should mention the targets and descripe more clearly.
- Catapults, hm, pure siege weapons imo, not early field artillery, I think it is possible to turn those into Kamikaze Strategic bombers with 1 movement and trigger back the unit properties after combat, to make them strike castles only and not beeing forced to retreat them as well as not targeting ships.
- Pikeman came very late ( if not just considered as a close spearformation unit), means you would have Crossbows and Longbows ,too.

Suggestions, Hints:
- You should always test the file you are going to upload. (missing _ etc.)
- If possible for you guys, check the 2nd Total War game : Medieval Total War, had some good setups, and a lot more stuff you may want to think about. Medieval 2 Total War can be a good resource, too.
- The flags seem good, a little big so, I would consider turn those into baseplates (toysoldier or tww alike).
- I would consider some Crusade aspects and maybe religion within the game, reflected by alliances.
- Politics? more for a possible FFA version.
- I would consider double or triple mapsize, with much larger unitimages, zoom in is acceptable, graphics remain good, while units can look very pretty and have a lot more details. The fact that there are no airunits you have to be aware of adds to this.
- Maybe some impassible territories, swamps, mountains(alps etc.)
- Some technologies? do not have to come easily, but during the ~500years that are represented here, a lot of inventions and weapon and warfare improvements have been seen.
- Rivers, resources, upgrades... if you guys want to heavily go into this.

We now have custom dice!

Re: Medieval Europe

SantaClaus
Updated the first post again, I think I finally fixed the problem with the map name.

I'll actually update the XML etc. once I know that the download actually works.

Re: Medieval Europe

hepster
Another suggestion for this map is to change the North.

You have a bunch of Sea Zones that lead to no where and the Purple team has a S.Z. tht isn't actually a S.Z.

Why not shorten the Kola peninsula and give that faction the option to product naval units?  Otherwise you could just cut the entire top row of sea zones off the map as they really serve no purpose.

Re: Medieval Europe

Just out of curiosity, where did you guys get the unit images?  They look identical in style to the originals that were in the 270 BC game and I'm wondering if all of these are coming from a site.

Also I did a little playing around with a couple of unit images...

Mainly was to try and see what the national markers would look like if they were just a bit less pronounced.

Here's what I came up with.

Original Knight

Revised with new national marker

Original Pikeman

Revised with new national marker

Original Castle

Revised Castle with new national marker

These were just some stuff I did after downloading your map as I was excited to see a Medieval themed map.

Wondering are you guys still working on this?

Re: Medieval Europe

soulfein
unit and castle images are from civilization 2 I think. At least they look the same :)

I played my first game yesterday, (a more balanced (I think) 4 plyr ffa mod made by cernel) and it was really fun

loved the map, thank you for your work.

Re: Medieval Europe

SantaClaus
Yeah, I'm still working on it, I have a really long list of things to do, I'm not sure about Chili though, he told me he'd have relief tiles ready back in November :P

Soulfein is right, all the units come from downloadable Civ 2 unit modpacks.

Re: Medieval Europe

SantaClaus
Yes, I'm still working on this, I've just been so busy with school that I've hardly had any time to work on this. :(

Several people had mentioned the problem with the borders in the Holy Land and Turkey, so I've changed these and added the Seljuk Turks east of the Byzantines. Cernel had suggested that I add the Bulgars too, but when I've been playtesting, I can't seem to find a way to include the Bulgars without completely screwing up the balance. Either Constantinople falls very early, and the Bulgars take over much of eastern Europe, or the Hungarians take Sofia and then push on to Constantinople.

I'm also working on fixing the balance problems in Spain and France.

Re: Medieval Europe

SantaClaus
Medieval_Europe.zip

Uploading a new version because my computer is dying and I don't want to lose all the code...

Added Seljuk Turks, however it has probably not been playtested enough (because of  the computer problems).

Redid many borders in Turkey and the Balkans as well.

Re: Medieval Europe

RogerCooper
Your description of Castle in the notes is inadequate. Yes, it has "AA", but you should mention that the AA is 5 shots at strength 4 against all units!

Re: Medieval Europe

SantaClaus
Now that I've finally got my computer back, I can work on this.
The castle should be firing at 3, I'll have to fix that and I'll update the notes.