Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

dnparsons
This post was updated on .
TripleA Map Generator is a tool to generate hexagon-based, random maps for the TripleA game platform. It was designed and tested on a Win7 x64 machine using TripleA version 1.6.1.4. It is written using C# and .NET 3.5.

Its main purpose is to generate a variety of tactical maps that will provide a few hours of entertainment against the AI.

Download:
http://code.google.com/p/triplea-map-generator/downloads/list

Instructions:
http://code.google.com/p/triplea-map-generator/wiki/Instructions

A PDF manual is included with the download.

A screenshot of the UI with the default settings:

RC_Example_FFA screenshot:

- David

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

eurofabio
Any print-screen?

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

Rolf Larsson
Awesome, totally awesome, excellent work.
This brings a whole new dimesion to triplea, no more boring standard maps, just random fun, very good.

Leaves a few small requests already, could there be a config.txt or something, where units could be configured, plus maybe make the map examples the standard folder, so that new images could be added to new configured units.
Idea would be that one maybe want to have a fantasy scenario and another one maybe a medieval background...maybe that can be plugins simply, too.  maybe later
For now, let me call you a hero.
We now have custom dice!

There is now.
- David

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

dnparsons
Thx for the kind words. I'm sure there is plenty of room for improvement. All suggestions are welcome.

Rolf Larsson wrote
Leaves a few small requests already, could there be a config.txt or something, where units could be configured...
In my first pass, I had code to discover player and unit names from the \units folder, but... doh!... the UnitOptions were unknown. The simplest solution for a working prototype was to hard-code units and unit options, and that is where it stands for the initial release. Rather than base units or base plus additional units, I too would like to be able to choose what units are available and customize attack, defense, etc., but I have not thought it through, yet.

Rolf Larsson wrote
...plus maybe make the map examples the standard folder, so that new images could be added to new configured units...
I'm not sure I understand. Could you clarify?
- David

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

Rolf Larsson
dnparsons wrote
In my first pass, I had code to discover player and unit names from the \units folder, but... doh!... the UnitOptions were unknown. The simplest solution for a working prototype was to hard-code units and unit options, and that is where it stands for the initial release. Rather than base units or base plus additional units, I too would like to be able to choose what units are available and customize attack, defense, etc., but I have not thought it through, yet.
Yep that would be great, although I think it would be easier to allow for few xml, predefined to choose from.
Plugin like, chooseable Background: Medieval, Fantasy, Ancient etc.
Cause defining all the stuff within the map generation, would take a long time. although it would be very flexible.

dnparsons wrote
...plus maybe make the map examples the standard folder, so that new images could be added...
I'm not sure I understand. Could you clarify?
Sorry the Random_Campaign is already the default map folder, so unit images can be customized/exchanged already.

Would be great if this could be available online easily, be integrated to the engine, so that the map does not need to be uploaded, but could be generated online for all players....hopefully later someday.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

hepster
dnparsons, great work.  Neat new concept.

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

Rolf Larsson
Even better, I tested to just generate a map, start it and saved immediately, then hosted it , loading the save and one who had the Random_Campaign folder copied to map folder could just play it with me.
Excellent, I was mistaken, thought each new generated xml would be needed to uploaded/shared with the one you want to play.

The color of the bluearmy is very close to the water color, maybe a little darker would be good.

So, I think what is left is really only a way to select the background (fantasy, ancient, etc. ) somehow.
For the images, it means maybe having unit folders like FBlueArmy(Fantasy) etc. and a way to customize the values, names and some features for units, while dicesides would be nice, too.
Another thing would be maybe territoryeffects randomly generated, for terrain... a bit much maybe.
The map size itself could be bigger maybe and every hex, too.

Can only guess it is a lot of work, but this is already so good imo, that enhancing it, is worth the time and effort. Often people are sceptical about non standard A&A stuff, but give it some time, I am sure a lot of people will recognize how nice it is to be able to play a new map everytime they want it.

We now have custom dice!

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

Raymond
This is great! I've made maps using the Empty Hexes download to make hex maps for other games. I am working on one map now that is 70x30. Will this generator make larger maps than 20x20?

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

This obviously took much longer to make and get working than most would guess.  It will provide many hours of entertainment for players who find it.  It could be much more... but I also think simple and userfriendly first.

Game value added improvements:

Short-Term: user defineable color pallete.  (I cant even focus on the map with impassible as red, so I'll hack mine to black)

Long-Term: Unit set plug-in capability

Is this some sort of grad/undergrad project... do you plan to continue developing for TripleA?

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

dnparsons
Rolf Larsson wrote
The color of the bluearmy is very close to the water color, maybe a little darker would be good.
I agree. FYI, the colors are not part of the generated XML. They are located in map.properties. Changing the hex value for the blue army changes it for all Random_Campaign maps, including the example maps. You can change it for yourself with a text editor without waiting for a new release. I thought changing it to 00A0FF looked pretty good, but I'm open to suggestions.

Rolf Larsson wrote
Another thing would be maybe territoryeffects randomly generated, for terrain... a bit much maybe.
I've already been working on that as it seemed like a fairly easy addition that would add a lot of variety to the generated maps. I've already committed a change to source which allows specifying a percent of territories to designate forest, mountain, hills, desert, marsh, or city. The actual territory effects for each terrain are hard coded, e.g., no blitzing through anything except hills, different units have plus/minus to offense/defense. I need to do more testing and update the docs before I include it in a down-loadable zip.

Rolf Larsson wrote
The map size itself could be bigger maybe and every hex, too.
Larger maps would be nice, but the 20 X 20 meant grabbing, naming, and center-picking 400 hexagons. I was grateful that the automatic placement picker did its job well. Doing that for larger maps just seemed too daunting. 30 X 30 is 900 hexagons. 40 X 40 is 1,600. Hehe... any volunteers?
- David

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

dnparsons
Raymond wrote
This is great! I've made maps using the Empty Hexes download to make hex maps for other games. I am working on one map now that is 70x30. Will this generator make larger maps than 20x20?
Thx. I looked at the Empty Hexes download, but mkhexgrid seemed easier to use. I included the mkhexgrid spec file I used in the docs folder.

Wow! 2,100 hexagons to grab, name, and center-pick. About half way through the 400 that I did, I considered hiring a monkey and training him to finish the job. ;-) Larger maps are on my wish list, but I'm wishing someone else would do the map. The code already could accommodate larger maps assuming they used the same polygon naming convention, e.g. 0101 through 7030 for a 70X30 map. But, for now, the validation routine prohibits anything larger than 20 width and height.
- David

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

Zim Xero
This setting creates a lot of variety for a DYNAMICS AI game (+give AI 5 or 10 PUs bonus)

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

dnparsons
Zim Xero wrote
This obviously took much longer to make and get working than most would guess.  It will provide many hours of entertainment for players who find it.  It could be much more... but I also think simple and userfriendly first.
Thx. If anyone is familiar with h4util for HOMM4, that is kinda my goal... run it, click a button, then while away a rainy sunday afternoon playing against the AI.

Zim Xero wrote
Short-Term: user defineable color pallete.  (I cant even focus on the map with impassible as red, so I'll hack mine to black)
For now, it's only generating the game XML files. It sounds like you've already edited map.properties to make the change. I just tried black and it worked well for me, too. I don't have a real preference. Unless there are objections, I'll change it to black (along with a darker BlueArmy color) in the next release. User defineable colors probably wouldn't be too difficult, but since it involves writing out the map.properties file, there are some other things I'll tackle first.

Zim Xero wrote
Long-Term: Unit set plug-in capability
That seems to be a popular request, and probably the most difficult. The case-sensitive unit filenames ripple thoughout the game XML file; production, tech, unit attachments, territory effects, etc. Coming up with a system that is easy to use and does not start producing parsing and other errors within TripleA is going to take some thought.

Zim Xero wrote
Is this some sort of grad/undergrad project...
LOL! I graduated 40 years ago. I hope the prof doesn't dock my grade for getting this in late.

Zim Xero wrote
do you plan to continue developing for TripleA?
I guess I'll continue working on this project as long as it holds my interest, which is pretty high right now. The blessing of open source GPL projects is that anyone can pick up the ball and run with it. The curse, of course, is that they die pretty quickly if they do not have a strong lead willing to put in the time. About the only commitment I can make is that another release is already in the works.

PS: Cool Dynamix map
- David

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

Raymond
Here is a sample of one of my hex map projects. I am still working on some cosmetic issues but i have the game itself up and running. Right now it is a 18 player free for all, the map itself is 6856x2916.

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

dnparsons
Wow! That looks incredible. Let me know if it's available for download, or if you need play testing.
- David

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

Raymond
I can go ahead and post my empty hexes mod if you want me to. Its the same map, 70x28 hex map of the world. I have it in a 3 player free for all and 18 player free for all with politics. Its just a generic mod that is playable but needs some modification to the xml if you want to make it more realistic. There are so many hexes that I haven't had a chance to go in and adjust territory values yet (All the values are set at 2 right now). I'm still working on drawing borders and adding terrain images for a relief map, so it will be a while before I am done with it. Its a good start for someone who wants to make a game using a LARGE hex map! I can also include the blank hex map so you can do whatever you want to it.

Re: Map Generator 0.9.2.0 Beta Released

dnparsons
I pushed up a new map generator release (0.9.3.0 Beta).

http://code.google.com/p/triplea-map-generator/downloads/list

It includes a few user suggestions and other enhancements.

  • Changed to a tabbed UI to allow for more settings
  • Changed Impassable color to black
  • Darkened Blue Army color
  • Added Territory Effects
  • Added percent Industrial Tech cost reduction
  • Added selectable initial tech for all players
  • Added configurable dice sides
  • Changed to alpha-numeric territory names, e.g. c10r11
  • Added optional victory conditions
    • Own all capitals
    • Own a specified percent of victory cities
    • Capture the flag
  • Added choice of rule sets
    • WW2V2
    • WW2V3

There is no installer, yet. If you have the previous version installed, over-write all folders and files when copying.
- David