Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Wisconsin
This post was updated on .
TripleA Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta has been released, you can get it here: http://code.google.com/p/tripleamapcreator/downloads/list

Download description: Fixed some image saving issues, fixed small button disabling issue, increased default max java heap size setting to 750m, etc.

Changelog:

* Added description to java project/jar through Netbeans.

* Increased default Max Java Heap Size setting to 750 megabytes.

* Fixed issue where user is able to press "Next Step" when the project is loaded onto the last step.

* Fixed issue where flag and unit image files do not have an extension and thus do not work.

Thanks,
    Wisconsin

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Rolf Larsson
Thanks Wisconsin,
the best addition for Triplea ever, without it I think there would be much less maps available.
I´ll take a look at it and see if I could find any strange behaviour.
Keep up the great work!!!
We now have custom dice!

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Hey Wisconsin,

Would mind updating your two maps to triplea 1.3.2.1 ?

both Sleeping Giant and Great Lakes War use repairing, among other things, so it would be good to update them.

If you were to update them by using your new map maker, i could check the xml code for you to make sure everything is good.

The exact changes that need to be made to the maps (all changes only really matter for maps using v3 or later rules):

1. Fix a naming problem in the step name for the "BidPlace" for japanese.  The game registers a bid place by having the step name exactly end with "BidPlace"
                        <step name="japanesedPlace" delegate="placeBid" player="Japanese" maxRunCount="1"/>
becomes:
                        <step name="japaneseBidPlace" delegate="placeBid" player="Japanese" maxRunCount="1"/>

2. Fix repairing by deleting ALL instances of "factory_hit" from the xml
So, from <unitList>, delete <unit name="factory_hit"/>
In unit attachments, delete <attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="factory_hit" .... etc....
And in repairing, change the repair rules to read (change "factory_hit" to "factory"):
                <repairRule name="repairFactory">
                        <cost resource="PUs" quantity="1" />
                        <result resourceOrUnit="factory" quantity="1"/>
                </repairRule>

                <repairRule name="repairFactoryIndustrialTechnology">
                        <cost resource="PUs" quantity="1" />
                        <result resourceOrUnit="factory" quantity="2"/>
                </repairRule>
(obviously in custom maps, it might be "land_hit" that is deleted or changed to "land", or w/e, instead of 'factory/factory_hit')

3. To any "infantry" like unit (any unit that should be lifted by paratroopers), you need to add the following:
                         <option name="isAirTransportable" value="true"/>

4. To any "armour" / tank like unit (any unit that should be carrying other, when you have mechanized infantry tech [will carry any unit with 'isInfantry']), you need to add:
                         <option name="isLandTransport" value="true"/>

5. To any "bomber" like unit (any unit that should be lifting other units when you have paratroopers tech), you need to add:
                         <option name="isAirTransport" value="true"/>

6. Lastly, and Optionally, I am adding the following game options to maps:
                                <property name="Low Luck for AntiAircraft" value="false" editable="true">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Low Luck for Technology" value="false" editable="true">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Low Luck for Bombing and Territory Damage" value="false" editable="true">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Super Sub Defence Bonus" value="0" editable="true">
                                                <number min="0" max="1"/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Battleships repair at beginning of round" value="false" editable="true">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

For things like the new giveUnits code, or the new productionPerXTerritories code, see Pact of Steel 2's xml for examples of how to use it.

And any time "unitProduction" is above "production" in the xml, it has to be moved to be underneath production in order to work properly from now on, because production now overwrites unitProduction to be equal to production.

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

crazygerman
Great job love the direction that you are taking this.
I cant code Java, but ill provide moral support :)

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

RODTHEGOD
I don't know  if you've heard about this but when I try to run this program I get this simple message

"corrupted. 1.5.0"

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Wisconsin
Nope, haven't seen that before... what OS are you're using? Windows, Mac, Linux?
and the java version?

Also, did you try running the jar file directly?

Thanks,
    Wisconsin

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Wisconsin
I've been spending a lot of time lately on another project(a document/book), so I haven't been working much on TripleA-related stuff. (Though I could make time, if necessary) Maybe when I'm done with that, I'll start the upgrade process, depends on what I happen to decide is the 'next big project'. :)

The map creator beta doesn't have map loading coded yet, but it's definitely at the top of the list, kind of important for a program announcing itself as a map creator/editor!

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Wisconsin
Also, can someone confirm that the map creator is cross-platform? I currently have it in the project tag list, and want to confirm it before future releases/first stable release.

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

illern
Hi
I'm new here, so a short introduction might be appropriate. Ran into TripleA when trying to find the '98 Axis & Allies-game for my mac. Impressed by the functionality, but unimpressed by the graphic design (I do graphic design for a living, thus the interest) particularly of the maps, flags and units, I tried to get a hold of a map creator/editor, and found this!

Obvisously, the Map Creator 1 doesn't work on mac, so I switched to my Windows-machine (Win 7) and found it didn't work there either... Got the classic "center picker"-error that I've read about here. So I tried the Map Creator 2 and already loves it, although I haven't been able to actually complete a playable map yet, since I always get some sort of error message. And I'm missing the image-layover/relief functions. So, I'm just hanging around until the next, complete release! Waiting impatiently. When will it come?

I'm absolutely green when it comes to the coding and xml parts of map creating, but I'm an ace (I try to be humble...) when it comes to graphical design, so if there's anything I can do for you just let me know!
Any map, flag or unit-look you'd want to see realized, just let me know and perhaps we can collaborate. I do the designing bit, you do the programming bit?

Gotta' stop typing now... Take care!

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Edwin van der Wal
illern wrote
I'm absolutely green when it comes to the coding and xml parts of map creating, but I'm an ace (I try to be humble...) when it comes to graphical design, so if there's anything I can do for you just let me know!
Any map, flag or unit-look you'd want to see realized, just let me know and perhaps we can collaborate. I do the designing bit, you do the programming bit?

Gotta' stop typing now... Take care!
Hi,

I think it would be good to collaborate on a map with a map-designer on a map.. maybe pick up some mapping skills from there.

What type of map were you trying to create?

Cheers!

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

I highly highly suggest you create a "practice" map first.  The map can be super simple, like 4 territories big, 2 factions, and whatever default rules the map maker program uses.

If you can get that to run, then you are well on your way to understanding how to make a map, and you can begin making whatever you want.

btw, what kind of graphical work do you "like" to do?

I need help in the art area of a map I am making, the map is basically done but there are only "unit" art for 1 of the 4 factions right now (and all 4 factions are very different, unlike most maps here).

thx,
veq

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

illern
Veqryn - I actually made a super simple map yesterday in MC2, but when I tried to extract it no file was created, and a massive jibberish error-message showed in the error-log. Tried a couple of times with some changes made but gave up and thought that it must have had to do with a) me running Windows 7, or b) The MC2 beeing a beta-release and not fully functional...

Anyway - I'm pretty sure I get the basics of map-creating. I've read most of the tutorials etc and have played the game long enough to understand what most of the rules etc are about.

What kind of graphical work do I like to do?
Well, professionally I do everything from logotypes and graphical profiles to websites and prints (see www.cupoftee.se/media - in swedish, though) but when it comes to TripleA I could do anything that concerns the look and feel of the maps. "Land-map", flags, units etc. But of course, I'd rather do the entire map myself, for that homogeneous look.

Edwin - I haven't started any yet, except from a simple test map, but I'll be open for any ideas. I'm swedish and likes the "Napoleonic"-setting a lot so perhaps I would have started off with a "Thirty year's war"-map or the great nordic war. But I'm open for any ideas. As soon as I need to kill some time at work, making a map would be the perfect timekiller!

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

You should post that error message here.

The graphical work I need help with is Science Fiction unit graphics.

The map art is just beautiful, the map was drawn by LSSAH, the guy who did Napoleonic Empire's map art.

However, at this point, I don't have any/much unit art.

let me know if you are interested,

thx,
veq

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

illern
Sure, I can have a go.
But I'd like to see/adjust the map- and flag-files as well, so I can get the same "style" on everything. Just make some sort of list of the units you want, and if you have any ideas on the look.
Just sprend the image-files to media@cupoftee.se and I'll dig into it as soon as I need to kill some time.

I'll get back with that error message later.

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

illern
Allright, so here's my elegant error log.

When using Map Creator 2 on Windows 7, everything works just fine until I press
"Export Temporary Map Copy and Launch TripleA"
Two dialog-boxes suddenly appear. One sais "Could not load game. com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 2 of 2-byte UTF-8 sequence".
And the otherone is the usual error-log with this massive message:

Could not parse:C:\Users\Oskar\triplea\maps\Testmap\games\Testmap.xml
java.lang.IllegalStateException: com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 2 of 2-byte UTF-8 sequence.
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:94)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserEntry.<init>(NewGameChooserEntry.java:27)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.createEntry(NewGameChooserModel.java:163)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populateFromDirectory(NewGameChooserModel.java:180)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populate(NewGameChooserModel.java:82)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.<init>(NewGameChooserModel.java:35)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.loadDefaultGame(GameSelectorModel.java:217)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:61)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.GameRunner2$1.run(GameRunner2.java:61)
Caused by: com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 2 of 2-byte UTF-8 sequence.
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.scanLiteral(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.scanAttributeValue(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanAttribute(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
        at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.getDocument(GameParser.java:192)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:92)
        ... 16 more
java.lang.IllegalStateException: com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 2 of 2-byte UTF-8 sequence.
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:94)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.load(GameSelectorModel.java:90)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame.loadGameFile(MainFrame.java:137)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame.access$000(MainFrame.java:32)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame$2.run(MainFrame.java:154)
[...]

If I instead go directly to "Export map to your TripleA Maps folder", the program exports the maps without error-message, BUT there's actually no new map or folder created, and the map-files are nowhere to be found, or played...

Help

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Zieleniuk
is there a certain directory this needs to be installed in? I have downloaded both 2.0 and 2.0.0.1, and when i try to import maps it does nothing. I can create one from scratch though.

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Wisconsin
Hi illern,

Sorry for the really late response... Can you look up the xml file, and see what's inside it?: C:\Users\Oskar\triplea\maps\Testmap\games\Testmap.xml

Then I can see why TripleA wasn't able to load it...

Thanks,
    Wisconsin

P.S. (The way the program is coded, you might have to check the xml while the map creator is open on that 'Test Map' step, and after the button is pressed.)

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

Wisconsin
Sorry, the map creator beta doesn't have map importing functions coded yet. (Which is really bad for a 'map editor'!!!)

Future versions, whenever they be finished, will have this capability.

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

RogerCooper
I am working with a fairly simple map (a Risk board). There about 10 territories for which the polygon grabber did not work. Which leaves me basically stuck.

Editing the map directly is difficult without a zoom function in your editor. I can't insert the polygons information directly into the tmap file.

The only thing I can do is to edit the base map externally and then import it back. Fortunately Map Creator indicates the problem locations.

What I would like to see is the option of defining the polygons directly but just clicking on the map (which should be relatively easy). A zoom option in the editor, so editing individual pixels can be done would be nice as well. I understand that you don't want to rewrite Paint or Gimp, but to make polygon-grabbing work, you need to be able to work on the pixel level.

I also wonder if the polygon-grabbing function could be improved.

Map Creator is impressive in many ways, but it not quite there yet.

Re: Map Creator 2.0.0.1 Beta Released

demagogue
I made a map through all of the steps in the v2 release.
Now at the end, when I export the map info to a folder, the only things that export are

the folders: baseTiles, flags, games (with the xml file), and units (with the right files for each)
and the files: map.properties, and centers.txt.

BUT it does not export the files: place.txt, name_place.txt, polygons.txt, and smallMap.jpeg, which I see in other modules. I didn't see any error message related; the files just aren't getting exported.

(I saw three places to export, from the menu, Map export, Base Map export, and at the final step in the walkthru, all of which consistently didn't export these files.)

So... do you know why these files are not getting exported?
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong because the Creator didn't red flag anything.
To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the Map Creator making the places & polygons & smallMap in the program itself. I just can't get that data *out* of the creator exported into files.
And of course I can't do anything unless I have those files.
(The program was otherwise very helpful by the way. I don't want to sound unappreciative. =) )
Thanks, cheers.

The map, BTW, is East Asia ~1948- to connect all the early Cold War conflicts (1st Indochina War, China Rev, Korean War, one historical version, and another hypothetical version adding a Japan Civil War), so, e.g., Comm. China can intervene in Korea and Vietnam, and America can intervene in China & Vietnam.