Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Rick Allen
Just tried 1.0.1.5 (1st time map attempt)  and set the image up properly 1200 x 1200 white countrys with blue seas black boarders, ran the center picker ok, but could not get the polygon selector to run,  xp 3rd selected the map in polygon and nothing happens,  made sure to run creator as admin but no go.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
I really can't say for sure, but it might have something to do with the files you selected in the Polygon Grabber. If you are sure you selected the correct files, then I really have no clue. I hardly ever heard of someone getting the Center Picker to work but not the polygon grabber. It's mostly either both or none.

Anyway, just double-check the files you're selecting and post again if you still can't get it to work. Also, please tell use more about your problem, such as posting the text that appears in a black window when you hold Ctrl when you press the Run Polygon Grabber button. (I made it so it shows some info when you hold control while launching the utility)

It would also be nice to see some screenshots and perhaps the contents of some of the map files. (Such as the map.properties file. This file may contain the cause of your problem, but I can't tell till I can see it)

Thanks, and sorry you've run into these problems,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

junk2drive
I had my first try with the map maker.

I use Paint.net. I wasn't sure about brush width or AA setting. After a couple of polygon grab fails I remade the map with AA off and a 8 brush. Maybe add a suggested brush size to the instructions.

I think you should suggest that the student create the baseTiles and games folders with the other create folders lines. (txt file)

I didn't get that water had to have a name and all the rest like a territory. This caused me to have to figure out which steps I had to redo and which I could skip, leading to much trial and error. My fault, just a comment, not a complaint.

The above points out the need for user content to be in a folder with quick access. I had to double click several times to open all the folders necessary to get to where each item gets retrieved from or saved to. My Documents\My Games\TripleA\maps\mymap is still a lot of double clicking. Maybe a shortcut or a default location in 2.0 would help.

I finished fixing the Sea Zone problems, got the game to display the map with units on it, and still got an error about ownership. It's probably something to do with the sea zone again.

I'll try again from scratch tomorrow or the weekend. Thanks for the program. It really does make it easy considering all that goes into a map. Auto fill is a godsend.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

TheArchduke
When will a new version be released?

With a working center picker?

I still would love to make my WW1 map.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

nicework
is there an other instruction on how to do this im a noob and would like to try to make a map but need some better help.much appreciated also if there is a way for someone to create a map for me i can pay something i always wanted to play so if there is someone out there who reads this and knows how to do maps please let me know.and i can tell you what i looking for and go from there thanks to anyone and this is a great place im glad someone made this game way better than regular axis and allies

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Thanks for the suggestions, I plan to use all of them in version 2.

If you're still working on that map, posting the errors here could save a lot of headaches.

Sorry for the late response,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
I really can't tell when it'll be finished. I haven't worked on it much in the last couple months, as I'm currently developing a new AI.

The current Center Picker actually does work, though the map creator has some issues launching it.

Because of how outdated the current map creator is, I suggest you just make the map manually. To do this, just take a look at the developer_documentation.html file located in the TripleA doc folder.

-Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Well, there is some documentation on map creation included with TripleA. Just open the developer_documentation.html file in the TripleA doc folder.

If you'd like to make a map, you can just follow the guide above, though it's a bit outdated and not comprehensive, or have a go at the map creator, which, unfortunately, is quite outdated and has bugs.

There are a number of people here on the forums who know how to create maps, including Veqryn, sieg, pulicat, and I. Making a map isn't as hard as many believe, though it can take many hours, and it can take a long time to balance and perfect it.

Thanks,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

junk2drive
The AI work you are doing is more important right now.

I got busy with another project and haven't worked on the map. I realised that I have to learn the game better before trying to create content.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

WilfredOwen
I made a test map to learn the process on Map creator and thought I managed to create it. However, when I try to load map i get this message:

Could not parse:C:\Users\David\triplea\triplea_1_2_5_5\maps\Testmap\games\Test.xml
games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: Invalid Unit Attatchment blitz:false bombard:false aa:false air:false factory:false sea:false strategicBomber:false sub:false attack:0 carrierCapactity:-1 carrierCost:-1 defense:0 movement:0 transportCapacity:6 transportCost:-1 destroyer:false
        at games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment.validate(UnitAttachment.java:414)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.validateAttachments(GameParser.java:160)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.validate(GameParser.java:144)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:135)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserEntry.<init>(NewGameChooserEntry.java:27)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.createEntry(NewGameChooserModel.java:163)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populateFromDirectory(NewGameChooserModel.java:180)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populate(NewGameChooserModel.java:82)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.<init>(NewGameChooserModel.java:35)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.loadDefaultGame(GameSelectorModel.java:217)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:61)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.GameRunner2$1.run(GameRunner2.java:61)

This is my game file:

Test.xml

I would really appreciate any help on this.
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Well, some things I noticed right away:

1. The trireme unit has no 'movement' value.

2. The trireme unit has 'transport capacity', but is not flagged as a sea unit. (Not sure if this'd cause an error, but I assume you meant this to be a sea unit)

After those fixes, try out the map again and let us know what happens,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

WilfredOwen
Hi

Thanks for the help. Yes that worked as far as allowing me to load the game but when I started the game it gave me this error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Player colors must be a 6 digit hex number, eg FF0011
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.MapData.getPlayerColor(MapData.java:358)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.screen.LandTerritoryDrawable.draw(IDrawable.java:699)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.screen.SmallMapImageManager.updateTerritoryOwner(SmallMapImageManager.java:99)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.MapPanel.initSmallMap(MapPanel.java:962)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.<init>(TripleAFrame.java:222)
        at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA$1.run(TripleA.java:150)

I believe I need to change the colours to 6 digit hex. Not sure what the rest means. Does this mean I have to run Map creation 1 again and thus do all again?

poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

WilfredOwen
Well I went back and redid the map creator part 1.Resolved all the issues.

However, when playing the game I can move Romans to ship in sea zone and then off load and attack barbarians but I am unable to move romans to neutral territories. The same for barbarians. I did make the connections.

test.xml

poplitibus timidove tergo."

poplitibus timidove tergo."
TCS

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

TCS
I've created Mac java applications for each of the tools that can do most of this stuff. The XML still needs to be done by hand with my method, though, and the placement picker saves only occasionally, but I'm working on improving them as best I can and then I'll put it up for Mac on my website. Is there any specific process other than as I've stated to make this available to the public?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

michael
hello

i get this message

Exception in thread "Triplea start local thread" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No attachment, newValue:PlayerID named:OberbaimbachCityClan property:originalOwner
        at games.strategy.engine.data.ChangeAttachmentChange.<init>(ChangeAttachmentChange.java:42)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.ChangeFactory.attachmentPropertyChange(ChangeFactory.java:179)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.OriginalOwnerTracker.addOriginalOwnerChange(OriginalOwnerTracker.java:57)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.InitializationDelegate.initOriginalOwner(InitializationDelegate.java:251)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.InitializationDelegate.init(InitializationDelegate.java:73)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.InitializationDelegate.start(InitializationDelegate.java:62)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startStep(ServerGame.java:603)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.runStep(ServerGame.java:482)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startGame(ServerGame.java:299)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher$2.run(LocalLauncher.java:125)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

do someone know how to fix?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Unless we can see the xml file, it's basically just guesswork...

Can you please post the game xml file here so we can check it?

Thanks

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

michael
hi tx for answer,

im not very experienced in such things. how to i upload a xml file here

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

michael
i solved problem ty

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

dadocracy
While running Part 2 of map creator at step one 'Map Properties', after entering all the information I get a pop up titled 'Error Parsing data'

'An error occurred while trying to process the data you entered. Please make sure you entered everything correctly and try again.'

'Do you want to view the error message?'

I clicked yes and got this:

Base Exception:

System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(String value)
   at TripleAGameCreator.Form1.ConvertStringToValidInt32(String s)
   at TripleAGameCreator.Form1.tabControl1_Selecting(Object sender, TabControlCancelEventArgs e)

Complete Exception:

System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(String value)
   at TripleAGameCreator.Form1.ConvertStringToValidInt32(String s)
   at TripleAGameCreator.Form1.tabControl1_Selecting(Object sender, TabControlCancelEventArgs e)

Which might as well all be greek to me, I can't figure out from this what I did wrong. Any help?
12345678