Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the files. I'll use these files in the next version. It may be a while for the next version to come out, though, because I'm completely recreating part 2 of the map creator project. The project was so messed up I'm just going to restart it from scratch. I'll reuse a few of the code blocks that are working fine, but for the most part it will be fresh new code. The next version will feature a more powerful and stable environment with the option to edit the xml code block directly in each step. There will also be the option to use simplified mode or advanced mode. The help for the program will also be a lot more intuitive with in-program dynamic assistance and an in-program xml code analyzer that can pinpoint errors in the xml and display solutions to the user. Although I will eventually add these and other features to the later versions, they will not be added all at once. I will first start with a stable working environment, and slowly add features the features like with TripleA. I will actually use stable and unstable releases, so that people won't constantly have to update the map creator. Thanks for helping everyone with their problems so much, Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

that sounds like a lot of work....
(with bugs and stuff coming up of course)

perhaps you could just release 1.0.1.6 as a stable, with the only fixes being in better notes, my extra txt files, and that fixed unit attachment for infantry?

also:

your production frontier is in the wrong order
instead of displaying the new units at the bottom, you should have it in order of cost
because the frontier is how it will display to the player
so rather than having artillery at the end of the production/purchase box, and infantry at the beginning, they should be together.

i suggest this order for BOTH the unit list, and the production frontier list (all three production frontiers, normal, industrial, and shipyards)

infantry
artillery
armour
fighter
bomber
transport
submarine
destroyer
cruiser
carrier
battleship
aagun
factory

(you can switch the aagun and factory, and switch the sub and transport... but other than that, it should look identical in order to the above example...)

currently your listing is assbackwards.
yes, it plays, but it is ugly

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Bas71
Hi Wisconsin,

Something strange on this end with Map Creator part 2. I've just created a map image filen and ran Map Creator part 1. So far so good. All files are there.

Then I started part 2. An error occured after setting the territory definitions. When clicking 'next', I got an error stating 'wrong image format'. I saved the xml file at that point and checked the code. It looked good, except that the capitals were not correctly added. For each added capital, the "true" was missing:

<option name="capital" value=""/>

I added the "trues" manually, started up part 2 again, and loaded the xml file. Then I directly got a new error message in the TripleA Map Creator Exception Viewer:

Base Exception:

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: De index ligt buiten de matrixgrenzen.
   bij TripleAGameCreator.Form1.LoadMap()

Complete Exception:

And the xml file will not load. Any thoughts on this?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Bas71
Tried it again from scratch, same error. Below is the full error message from the TripleA Exception Viewer for the 'wrong image format'. Translated, it reports something like: a graphics object can not be created (or: rendered) based on an image with an indexed pixel-'division' (or: structure).

Base Exception:

System.Exception: Een Graphics-object kan niet worden gemaakt aan de hand van een afbeelding met een geïndexeerde pixelindeling.
   bij System.Drawing.Graphics.FromImage(Image image)
   bij TripleAGameCreator.Form1.tabControl1_Selecting(Object sender, TabControlCancelEventArgs e)

Complete Exception:

System.Exception: Een Graphics-object kan niet worden gemaakt aan de hand van een afbeelding met een geïndexeerde pixelindeling.
   bij System.Drawing.Graphics.FromImage(Image image)
   bij TripleAGameCreator.Form1.tabControl1_Selecting(Object sender, TabControlCancelEventArgs e)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Bas71
Thanks, that worked!

A bit strange, though. It was a map that worked before where I only had adjusted some borders. With the same tool and settings as before.

Anyway, no more errors and that's what counts.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

you might want to include this for future information:

List of possible unit attachments:
cost
attack
defense
movement
blitz
bombard
aa
air
factory
sea
strat bomber
sub
carrier capacity
carrier cost
transport capacity
transport cost
destroyer
two hit
artillery
supportable
marine
infantry
paratroop (currently does nothing)
mechanized (currently does nothing)

rules on the unit attachments:
air units can not have: factory, aa, issea, sub, transportation cost, carrier capacity, blitz, bombard, marine
sea units can not have: factory, aa, isair, blitz, stratbomber, carrier cost, transport cost, marine
land units can not have: is air, is sea, bombard, strat bomber, is sub, carrier capacity, transport capacity
also, units can not have both (carrier capacity and carrier cost), (transport cost and transport capacity), and (transport capacity, transport casualty restricted, and (0 att or 0 def))

the following player attachments:
    private int m_vps = 0;
    private int m_captureVps = 0; // need to store some data during a turn
    private boolean m_takeUnitControl = false;
    private boolean m_giveUnitControl = false;

the following rules attachments:
    private String m_alliedExclusion = null;
    private String m_enemyExclusion = null;
    private String m_allowedUnitType = null;
    private String m_movementRestrictionType = null;

    //Territory lists
    private String[] m_alliedOwnershipTerritories;
    private String[] m_alliedExcludedTerritories;
    private String[] m_enemyExcludedTerritories;
    private String[] m_enemySurfaceExcludedTerritories;

    private String[] m_movementRestrictionTerritories;

    //booleans
    private boolean m_placementAnyTerritory = false;
    private boolean m_placementCapturedTerritory = false;
    private boolean m_unlimitedProduction = false;
    private boolean m_placementInCapitalRestricted = false;
    private boolean m_dominatingFirstRoundAttack = false;
    private boolean m_negateDominatingFirstRoundAttack = false;

    //Integers
    private int m_territoryCount = -1;
    private int m_objectiveValue = 0;
    private int m_perOwnedTerritories = -1;
    private int m_productionPerTerritory = -1;
    private int m_placementPerTerritory = -1;

the following tech attachments:

  private boolean m_heavyBomber;
  private boolean m_longRangeAir;
  private boolean m_jetPower;
  private boolean m_rocket;
  private boolean m_industrialTechnology;
  private boolean m_superSub;
  private boolean m_destroyerBombard;
  private boolean m_improvedArtillerySupport;
  private boolean m_paratroopers;
  private boolean m_increasedFactoryProduction;
  private boolean m_warBonds;
  private boolean m_mechanizedInfantry;
  private boolean m_aARadar;
  private boolean m_shipyards;

the following territory attachments:
    private String m_capital = null;
    private boolean m_originalFactory = false;
    private int m_production = 2;
    private boolean m_isVictoryCity = false;
    private boolean m_isImpassible = false;
    private PlayerID m_originalOwner = null;
    private PlayerID m_occupiedTerrOf = null;
    private boolean m_isConvoyRoute = false;
    private boolean m_changeUnitOwners = false;
    private String m_convoyAttached = null;
    private boolean m_navalBase = false;
    private boolean m_airBase = false;
    private boolean m_kamikazeZone = false;
    private int m_unitProduction = 0;

if you don't understand this all,
its ok

the tripleA engine allows for a lot more and a lot less than most people think
and the fact that certain things are not in most maps means that many people do not realize that the engine can do this.

i suggest everyone go download a map called "pacific" off the eb list (recently updated, so get the new one even if you have the old one), so see some of the cool things that most maps do not take advantage of (including convoy routes [different than normal convoys], naval and air bases [old and complicated rules, i can't wait til we have the new versions], giving units to a player every turn, victory points [not sure if these work], original factories, and ismarine.)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Okay. I'll include this and other information in the program help for the map creator in version 2.0.

Thanks,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Bas71
Hi Wisconsin,

Here's the full error.

C:\>java.exe -Xmx1000m -classpath "C:\Games\TripleA\triplea_1_2_5_4\bin\triplea.
jar" util/image/PolygonGrabber
Select the map
Exception in thread "Basic L&F File Loading Thread" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Arrays$ArrayList.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Arrays.asList(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2.isFileSystemRoot(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder.isFileSystemRoot(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.isFileSystemRoot(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.getShellFolder(Unknown Source)

        at javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.getFiles(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$LoadFilesThread.run0(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$LoadFilesThread.run(Unknown Source)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Is this a new error you've encountered?

What was the location of the image you selected?

Also, what format was the image in?

Thanks,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Bas71
No it's an existing error that is there consistently. The image is in PNG format. It happens with both the Paint.NET saves and the MS Paint saves.

The location of the map:
C:\Games\TripleA\triplea_1_2_5_4\maps\CampDavid

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Does anyone reading know how to fix this error?

I really cannot make any sense out of the error report except that it has some kind of trouble reading the file.

If no one responds with a fix for a while, try searching on google for a fix.

I know this doesn't help much, but it may have something to do with file access permissions(Just my guess). You could try running it on a different computer.

I hope you can get it working soon,
    Wisconsin

P.S. At least it wasn't a problem with my map creator this time!! Whew!! :P

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Bas71
Hi Wisconsin,

I've been searching and reading some forums. But for me it's getting way too technical. I found one thread that appears to be about the same issue:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5434308

Their conclusion: it has something to doe with netbeans (?), Windows 7 and permissions that may be different in Windows 7 compared to previous Windows versions. No solution though.

Anyone any idea?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Did you read the second page?

I just read it and the solution is on the 2nd page. The error was fixed for them by downgrading java to version 1.6.0_18.

Let me know if it works for you,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

ZjelcoP
Hi, i've had some trouble with the relief tile breaker. I usually get the same error. Some times i did get it running, but the result was that it made all jagged pieces based on contours of territories. This result does not load when i play the map. Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks Zjelco

C:\>java.exe -Xmx1000m -classpath "C:\Program Files\TripleA\triplea_1_2_5_4\bin\
triplea.jar" util/image/ReliefImageBreaker
Exception in thread "Basic L&F File Loading Thread" java.lang.NullPointerExcepti
on
        at java.util.Arrays$ArrayList.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Arrays.asList(Unknown Source)
        at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2.isFileSystemRoot(Unknown Sourc
e)
        at sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder.isFileSystemRoot(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.isFileSystemRoot(Unknown Sourc
e)
        at javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.getShellFolder(Unknown Source)

        at javax.swing.filechooser.FileSystemView.getFiles(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$LoadFilesThread.run0(Unkno
wn Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicDirectoryModel$LoadFilesThread.run(Unknow
n Source)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

use the basetile breaker instead

(i've never gotten the relief tile breaker to work)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

ZjelcoP
Okay, thanks seems simple enough!

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Red.Syndicate
I got as far as the unit definitions on Part 2 and I couldn't go on since I had too many units to fit on one page. Once I get past a certain point, clicking 'New Unit...' does not add new boxes to put information into.

Here's a screenshot of what I am seeing:
http://i.imgur.com/0n8lY.png

Is there any way to work around this, such as directly editing the .txt or whatever that this would go into?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Yes, there is a work-around to that problem.

Part 2 of the map creator is meant to help users create the xml file for their map using a graphical interface. Because of all the errors that haven't been fixed, though, it is sometimes necessary to create the xml file manually. There are different ways to go about creating the xml file, but I'll give you my suggestion:

1. Save the work you've already done in part 2 to a new xml file.
2. Open the saved xml file in wordpad or notepad.
3. Open the xml file of an existing map as a guideline next to it in wordpad or notepad.
4. Work on your map's xml file by scrolling down in it and entering in the information as you get to it. Use the other xml file as a guide as you go.

The contents of the xml file are straight-forward enough to understand, but if you need more help, I'm sure someone here will have time to help you.

Thanks,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Red.Syndicate
Awesome, thanks so much.
12345678