Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Requiem
 You're amazing.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

I tried building a map from scratch with 1.0.1.5

everything went pretty much perfectly

only bug i found:

Infantry's Attachments has <option name="artillerySupportable" value="true"/> listed twice.

it should read:

                <attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="infantry" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
                         <option name="movement" value="1"/>
                         <option name="transportCost" value="2"/>
                         <option name="isInfantry" value="true"/>
                         <option name="isParatroop" value="false"/>
                         <option name="isMechanized" value="false"/>
                         <option name="attack" value="1"/>
                         <option name="defense" value="2"/>
                         <option name="artillerySupportable" value="true"/>
                </attatchment>

Anyway, this is NOT A BIG BUG

because it is boolean, getting listed twice does not make a difference at all

however, it might confuse people, so i recommend fixing for 1.0.1.6

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Thanks a lot! :)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Dalek
Hi, when I get to Center Picker it tells me to locate the folder where I installed TripleA, so I select Program Files (x86).  Then a new window pops up and asks me to find the triplea.jar, so I select it, and for a split second a small black window pops up and fades away before I can see what is on it.  Then if I try to do the Polygon Grabber or anything it makes me select the triple.jar again and the same thing happens.  Have I done something wrong?  Thanks.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Press and hold "Control" when you press the center picker button. This will cause the program to show you the error by keeping the black window open.

Then take a screen-shot of the window(You can google it), and post it here. Then I can help you out.

Let me know if it works,
     Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Bas71
Hi Wisconsin,

Just had an auto-update to Java 6u19. In Map Creator part 1, I now suddenly get an error message when the "DOS box" tells me to select the image file for the map (e.g. the Center Picker, Polygon Grabber).

The error:
Exception in thread "Basic L&F File Loading Thread" java.lang.NullpointerException
at java.util.Arrays$Arraylist.<init>(Unknown Source)

You can however then select the map and keep working.

Don't know if it's someting in the map creator, or in the new Java update (or something evil on my PC), but if there are more reports like this, it may be worth looking into it.

Kind regards,
Bas

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Dalek
Hi, I selected Program Files (x86) for one of these (error2) and the triplea folder for the other (error).

 (error)

 (error2)

Thanks!

Okay I noticed someone had the same problem and followed all the instructions, only I have different folders in Java so I changed the environmental variables a little, but here's a picture of what I did and the problem.  (Both PATH and JAVA_HOME have the same thing typed in them.)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
You fixed that problem correctly, but a different error is happening now. The java heap size is being set to something higher than your computer can supply. Change the "Max Java Heap Size" setting in the settings.txt file to something lower than your computer's memory.

If it still doesn't work, just keep lowering it until it does work.

Let me know if it works,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Dalek
I don't think Java likes me very much...

And here's the error log the report was refering to.
hs_err_pid7160.log

I very much appreciate your help!

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Dalek
Nevermind, I was selecting the wrong folder I think.

I understand all of the steps except when I try to open my map there are no polygons for any of the territories.

35. If you want the program to automatically find the connections between all the territories do the following:
    A. Click the 'Auto-Fill' button.
    B. Click 'Yes'.
    C. In the 'Line Width' textbox enter the width of the lines in the map.
    D. If you want the program to search for connections to islands, check the "Perform Island Searching" option.
    E. Click the "Start" button and wait for it to finish.

I don't know if this step went correctly because I never saw a finish and I randomly set line width as 4 or 5.

Also in my map folder my "polygons" and "place" folder are empty.  I don't know if this means anything.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
When you ran the polygon grabber did you remember to save it once you were done? If they are empty, you must redo the polygons file and placement file with the map utilities in Part 1 and save after completion.

Note that you save the polygons in the polygon grabber using the "File" menu.

Let me know if it works,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Dalek
Is line width very important?  What units is width measured in?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
The line width is measured in pixels. And, yes, the line width is pretty important. If it's too high, it will find connections that don't exist. If it's too low, it will not find all of the connections. Then you would have to confirm all of the connections to make sure you don't miss any.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Bas71
hi, same thing here...

are you by any chance using windows 7? maybe the 64bit version?

i suspect a serieus java-windows 64bit buggy something - don't know if it's the map creator, java or windows

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Dalek
I learned that 2 pixels is not large enough for the polygon thingy :(

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

you can do 2x2 if you do it manually in notepad
1 pixel is not large enough, you will get a java error, even if you do it manually
but 2x2 works just fine (this is 4 total pixels tho)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Dalek
So the black barrier should be 4 pixels?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

no, i mean
(1,1) (1,2) (2,2) (2,1)
manually in the polygons file

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin,

TripleA_Map_Creator.zip

I edited your map maker's .txt files and added some .txt files of my own.
mostly, i just added some information to the readme, map creator guide, and mod guide, as well as adding my 5 files about properties.  i thought you it could use it.

also, you are now being hosted on the depot list, under developer resources

thx man,
keep up the good work,
veqryn

edit:
i forgot to add to the map maker guide, in capitols in the first part:
UNIT NAMES ARE CASE SENSITIVE, the name of the .png and the name in the xml must match exactly
(when in doubt, use lower-case for everything in the xml and for all the art and .png files too)

you should add that to the next go around of the map maker
(and don't forget to check the infantry attachments having 2 copies of isSupportable, when it should only have 1 copy)