Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
I think you can set it using the Java control panel, but I've always done it by using the Windows system properties window. Here is how to get to the window where you can set the environment variables:

1. Click on start, right-click on 'My Computer', and click "Properties".
2. In the new window that opens, click the "Advanced" tab.
3. Click the "Environment Variables" button.

This window has a list of system variables and user variables. What you want to do is create a new user variable named "JAVA_HOME" with the value being the path to the installation folder of Java. Here is a screenshot for reference:

I hope it works out,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Requiem
Hi Wisconsin,

Thanks for all your work on the program, and the walkthrough.
Unfortunately, after setting the environmental variable, I still seem to be getting the same error.
I'm using a 64 bit OS, could this be part of the problem?

Thanks

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Requiem
It seems to have clipped my image. Right click it and select view image to see the whole screenshot.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Baen
When I run the center picker it says:
"unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you qlick Quit, the application will close immediately.

Access to path 'C:\temp.cmd' is denied."

If I click continue it the box closes but nothing happens, If anyone could help me out that would be awsome.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Sorry, I forgot to add that you also have to create a new user variable named "PATH" that has this value(Copy this exactly!): "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_18\bin\"

It should work when you create this variable.

Let me know if it works,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
That error is occuring because the computer isn't allowing the program to write to a temporary CMD file located on the C drive. This file is used to start the Center Picker with multi-line commands possible.

You can fix this problem by running the map creator with Administrator rights. You can run it as an Administrator by right-clicking on the map creator .EXE file and selecting "Run As Administrator".

Let me know if it works,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Baen
Ok thanks I had to changes a few things because I'm using vista and the example was xp(i think) but now I'm getting some other problem...

The cmd opens and it says:

"(The command the center picker is trying to run)
Error occured durring initialization of VM
Could not create Java virtual machine"

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Requiem
It worked!
Thanks! My map is going along quite nicely too.

Never mind I just ran the command manually with a lower memory and its working fine now thanks for your help.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Requiem
I get this error when trying to progress to the Unit Attachments Section:

Base Exception:

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at TripleAGameCreator.Form1.tabControl1_Selecting(Object sender, TabControlCancelEventArgs e)

Complete Exception:

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at TripleAGameCreator.Form1.tabControl1_Selecting(Object sender, TabControlCancelEventArgs e)

It doesnt seem to be in the forums.
Additionally, part 2 seems to be unable to save my unit descriptions. Is this a glitch, or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
I'll look into it once I start working on the next release.

Thanks for reporting it. The faster the bugs are fixed, the better.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
For the unit descriptions, are you sure that you proceeded past the unit attachments step before saving?

This is a common error that I hear a lot of people encounter. The most common one in fact. I'll have it fixed for the next release.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Requiem
I completed the unit descriptions and saved before finishing the unit attachments. Are they meant to be completed in one whole step, ie: both steps must be completed for a successful save?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

perhaps you should add a note Wisconsin:

"Part 2 must be completed completely in one whole step"

"Part 1 and Part 2 may be completed separately"

"While completing Part 2, pausing part way through and saving may generate errors.  It is highly recommended to finish all Steps in one single go."

"Re-Loading an xml file into Part 2 may cause errors.  It is recommended that to edit a game xml file, to either do it manually in notepad++ or to start over at the beginning of Part 2."

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Good idea... I'll add that to the next version.

Oh, but by the way, Part 1 is able to be completed in fragments, because it has no saving and loading. (Meaning that all the information entered must be saved to files in the map utilities right after they are completed. Part 1 just links to these utilities, so it shouldn't cause any problems.)

I'll include warnings like this with the program until I fix the saving/loading problems.

Thanks for the tip,
    Wisconsin

P.S. By the way, the main reason that information is lost while saving and re-loading is because the users don't know the correct way to edit the map and save using the map creator.  Since I know how the program works, the program works perfectly fine for me and greatly decreases the time spent editing. If I could give them instructions on it, we might not need these warnings. If I can think of a way of explaining it plainly, I might just do that until the problems are fixed.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
No, you can edit the information step-by-step and save and reload it.

It's just that you have to press next after you add the information for the data to be included when saving.

So after you finish the unit attachments, click the next button and then save it. It should work if you do that.

Let me know if it works,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Requiem
Thanks, I managed to get through the map creator successfully, mainly by restarting the section and doing it all at once. However, every time I try to access my mod in the game selection screen, I get this error message:

Could not parse:jar:file:/C:/Users/username/triplea/maps/civilwarbeta.zip!/games/civil%20war.xml
games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: No setter for attachment option. Setter:placementAnyTerritory Class:games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.setValues(GameParser.java:1181)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseAttachments(GameParser.java:1101)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:125)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserEntry.<init>(NewGameChooserEntry.java:27)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.createEntry(NewGameChooserModel.java:163)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populateFromZip(NewGameChooserModel.java:128)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populate(NewGameChooserModel.java:86)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.<init>(NewGameChooserModel.java:35)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.loadDefaultGame(GameSelectorModel.java:217)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:61)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.GameRunner2$1.run(GameRunner2.java:61)
Could not parse:jar:file:/C:/Users/username/triplea/maps/civilwarbeta.zip!/games/civil%20war.xml

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
The "placementAnyTerritory" attachment is a game setting(or property), not a unit attachment.

Place the game setting at the end of the xml with the other game settings and the error shouldn't occur.

I hope it works,
    Wisconsin

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Requiem
I got that error fixed, but now I'm getting repeated No data of type polygons and No data of type centers errors even after I double checked everything, and have no idea whats wrong. I uploaded the file and would appreciate it if you could look over it a bit. (The unit graphics are dummies, I'm mainly concerned with getting it up and running)
qwertyuiop.zip

Thanks a bunch for your help

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Ummmmm...

This is really strange... The map works fine!! It loaded fine and I was able to move the union's 'invisible' units around. It worked without a single error!

Try deleting the civil war map folder in the triplea maps folder and replace it with the zip file you sent me. Then rename the zip file to "Civil War Beta.zip" and it will probably work.

Let me know if it works,
    Wisconsin

12345 ... 8