Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

tedrocker
Well, I would still be grateful if someone could give me some clue about that error message.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

mjnagle
Hi,

There is a bug in the Map Creator Part 1 v1.0.1.5 package that causes that error. Short of fixing the bug and recompiling the package, there is no way to fix it.

The bug does not exist in Map Creator Part 1 v1.0.1.3. If you run that, you will not have that error. For what it's worth, I don't believe there is any significant difference between v1.0.1.5 and v1.0.1.3 of Map Creator Part 1; the differences between the two versions all lie in Part 2.

So, simply install a copy of Map Creator v1.0.1.3, but do not uninstall v1.0.1.5. Then use Part 1 from v1.0.1.3 for the map files, and use Part 2 from v1.0.1.5 for the XML file.

However, the Map Creator within TripleA (accessed through the "Engine Preferences" button on the startup window) replaces all the functionality of Map Creator Part 1, so it is not really necessary to install v1.0.1.3. at all. And, of course, you can still use Part 2 of v1.0.1.5 after you have set up your map files to set up your XML file.

Just remember that a lot of features have been added to TripleA since v1.0.1.5 was released, so you're still probably going to end up extensively editing your XML file by hand, anyway, after initially creating it with Part 2, and any newer features you add manually to the XML file will cause Part 2 to crash if you try to load the modified XML file into it.

Why search for artificial intelligence when there's such a crying need for the natural kind? — Michael J. Flynn

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

tedrocker
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that, I like for things to work and if they don't work I like to know why!  :)

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

tedrocker
But actually it is part 2 that will not run, and it still won't!

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

mjnagle
tedrocker wrote
But actually it is part 2 that will not run, and it still won't!
Really? On my computer Part 1 v1.0.1.5 crashes, and Part 2 runs fine.

I can't explain the source of your problem. Sorry.

All I can suggest is that you use v1.0.1.3 instead. I have never heard of any problems with that version.

Good Luck.

PS: I'm sorry for not replying sooner, but I haven't visited the forum since I posted my last message to you.

Why search for artificial intelligence when there's such a crying need for the natural kind? — Michael J. Flynn

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

aaalafayette
Administrator
The old C++ map maker tool has been ported to Java and will be in the next release. Some more work is needed to launch it from the game UI.

jar with the code can be found at: http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/releases
Main class: tools.map.xml.creator.MapXmlCreator

Tracking ticket for integration with the game UI: http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/843 "MapXML creator cannot be launched from the game "

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

tedrocker
So how does one launch it?

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

aaalafayette
Administrator
The latest pre-release has a button to launch

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

tedrocker
Can you take me through it step by step?  :)

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

aaalafayette
Administrator
In Triplea 1.9, the prerelease, on the main screen there is a 'settings / preferences' button. click that, you should see a button to launch the old map creator, and another to launch the new one (labelled as in beta).

The new one has some issues, and the old one does too. There is work to be done to fix them both, but right now efforts are more on the game engine proper side... Not enough people to work on everything that needs to be done.

Let me know if that helps.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

tedrocker
Thanks for the reply, I see it finally. I can be slow sometimes.  :)