Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Zim Xero
You need to start TripleA using svn - the latest version.  In that version of tripleA all mapping features are included in the main menu under "engine preferences".  To set up svn... enter svn in the forum topic search window in the upper right of the screen.  Find and follow instructions, then ask for help if/when you get stuck.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

EZell
an important tip for those using map editors....as you make adjustments to your XML...save your original XML then make additional saves along the way as you work out your bugs... common sense basically....this keeps you from making these time costly mistakes to get back to where you were before your mistakes....what i do is name my map XML ....(WW2)....then add numbers to it as you go....(WW2_1)....(WW2_2) ....and so on...

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

demagogue
Hello, I added a territory to my map by hand and I got this error when I ran it:

"No data of type centers for territory:Lake Baikal Region"

In my "centers.txt" file there is definitely an entry:

"Lake Baikal Region  (504, 248)"

Exactly like all the other regions that don't give an error. So I don't understand the error.
The territory also has all the other things territories want in the right format (territory definition, polygon, unit placement).

Can anyone tell me what the error means and how to fix it.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Zim Xero
The format is very sensitive for centers... must be the same as the others.  The main thing is that your other polygons cant overlap your new polygon.  Changing these "by hand" might prove difficult.  Your maps land tiles must be white and unbroken black only.  Polygons are the tricky part.  I would try using the new map editor under the engines preferences tab and try to pick new polygons... should fix the error, even though your error is about centers.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

polygons can overlap, not sure where you got the idea they couldn't

IF the format is correct, the most likely the error is being caused by either:
1. your map name game option property is wrong
or
2. you have multiple copies of the map (example: you have a zipped version still around, or a copy in both users/triplea/maps/ and also /program files/triplea/maps

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Ryuzaki
You mind making a video tutorial on this?

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

hepster
Wisconsin has not been here for some time.

Since Veq. has now included a much improved version of the map maker with Triple A 1.6.1.4. it is not likely that you will ever see much more development of this.

The new version of the map maker is contained within Triple A.  It has a much improved step-by-step guide.  Best you experiment with that.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

demagogue
For the record, I'm pretty sure it's because I did the polygon by hand. I was just splitting a polygon into two pieces cut down the middle, so it was very easy to just take the existing polygon text and "cut it" by just dividing it & typing in a new point (the editor crashes quite a bit, so at the time I thought it was the "easy" way), and I just typed in centers that seemed roughly right but obviously weren't. But I just redid it through the map editor and it worked then.

(More specifically, for some reason I thought I *had* gotten the centers from the editor, but then later I realized that didn't make sense -- I don't know where I got them now TBH -- but I just did the whole thing over again from scratch & it worked). Now I'm embarrassed for asking because seems so obvious & I was being reckless to begin with, but it's ok. I'm used to doing dumb things for this map, heh. =V

Thanks everybody.
NSP

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

NSP
Hello

Does anyone can help me with this?Why did this happen?

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.6.1.2
Could not parse:file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/TripleA/triplea_1_6_1_2/maps/img/games/Test%20Nr.1.xml.xml
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Rule already added:ProductionRule:buydestroyer
        at games.strategy.engine.data.ProductionFrontier.addRule(ProductionFrontier.java:53)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseFrontierRules(GameParser.java:1305)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseProductionFrontiers(GameParser.java:1236)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseProduction(GameParser.java:1132)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:160)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserEntry.fullyParseGameData(NewGameChooserEntry.java:57)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.GameSelectorPanel.selectGameFile(GameSelectorPanel.java:343)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.GameSelectorPanel.access$100(GameSelectorPanel.java:38)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.GameSelectorPanel$2.actionPerformed(GameSelectorPanel.java:162)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

eurofabio
"Rule already added:ProductionRule:buydestroyer"

Looks like you added this rule "buydestroyer" twice. It is easy for us if you post the xml.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Gregorek
I've written a PERL script for generating topology maps for the game.  It produces territorial groups and textures for Ocean, Shallows, Forest, Plains, Hills, and Mountains.  Other images are produced to make it easier to introduce your own background art.  Is it something the community might use?  Since I dont know the players and units you'll introduce into the game, the game's xml is incomplete and requires some manual filler, mainly just unit and effects info.

Before the script can be uploaded for public consumption, there is one potential problem:  The polygon data was generated from common line and arc boundaries.  Thus neighboring regions will share border points.  Is this bad?  I read in the forum something about overlapping regions causing problems.  Is pixel sharing along the border a problem?

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

1 pixel thick borders is recommended.  not sure if that is what you mean by "sharing" a pixel.
MH

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

MH
I have created a map, but just as the game is about to open, this message pops us:

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.7.0.3
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.AbstractStatPanel$ResourceStat.getName(AbstractStatPanel.java:85)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.StatPanel$StatTableModel.getColumnName(StatPanel.java:359)
        at javax.swing.JTable.addColumn(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JTable.createDefaultColumnsFromModel(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JTable.tableChanged(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JTable.setModel(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JTable.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JTable.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.StatPanel$1.<init>(StatPanel.java:98)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.StatPanel.initLayout(StatPanel.java:97)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.StatPanel.<init>(StatPanel.java:87)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.<init>(TripleAFrame.java:345)
        at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA$3.run(TripleA.java:297)

What does it mean? Thanks
MH

Is there a way to get heavy bombers to roll 2 dice on defense? I am creating a fantasy themed mod, and want the dragons to be especially strong on defense.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Zim Xero
        <attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="battleshipX"
            javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment"
            type="unitType">
            <option name="movement" value="2"/>
            <option name="isSea" value="true"/>
            <option name="attack" value="3"/>
            <option name="attackRolls" value="2"/>
            <option name="defense" value="3"/>
            <option name="defenseRolls" value="3"/>
            <option name="canBombard" value="true"/>
            <option name="Bombard" value="3"/>
            <option name="isTwoHit" value="true"/>
            <option name="carrierCapacity" value="1"/>
            <option name="isAirBase" value="true"/>
        </attatchment>

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Ranillon
I am trying to start Part 2 of the Map Creator so as to work on the XML file and I instantly get a long Java error without even getting at all into the program.  I have the latest version of Java loaded and part 1 works just fine, so what could be going on with this part 2?

Any help in this would be much appreciated.  I've already done a good amount of work on a scenario and would hate to have to do the XML file from scratch.

Here is the java error listing:

Base Exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at TripleAGameCreator.UnitAddingWindow.UnitAddingWindow_Resize(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnResize(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnResize(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnSizeChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetBoundsCore(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, BoundsSpecified specified)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetBoundsCore(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, BoundsSpecified specified)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ScaleControl(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.ScaleControl(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ScaleControl(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ScaleControl(SizeF includedFactor, SizeF excludedFactor, Control requestingControl)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.Scale(SizeF includedFactor, SizeF excludedFactor, Control requestingControl)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.PerformAutoScale(Boolean includedBounds, Boolean excludedBounds)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.OnLayoutResuming(Boolean performLayout)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ResumeLayout(Boolean performLayout)
   at TripleAGameCreator.UnitAddingWindow.InitializeComponent()
   at TripleAGameCreator.UnitAddingWindow..ctor()
   at TripleAGameCreator.Form1..ctor()
   at TripleAGameCreator.Program.Main()

Complete Exception:

[...]

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

sean
how can I run the map creator on linux?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

mjnagle

Hi, Sean.

You asked:

how can I run the map creator on linux?

Well, it's been a couple of years since Wisconsin has posted any messages on this forum, so I doubt he'll respond.

You can't run Map Creator v1.x natively in linux. It was written and compiled using Microsoft C#, and so will only run natively in Windows.

For what it's worth, however, it might be possible to run the Map Creator v1.x in linux using WINE. I don't currently have a linux machine, so I'm not certain it will work, but you can give it a try.

As you may already know, Map Creator v1.x comes in two parts. The first part is used to create the map support files (*.properties, *.txt, etc), while the second part is used to create the XML file.

If you start the TripleA program, click the "Engine Preferences" button in the opening screen, and then click the "Run the Map Creator" button in the screen that opens, you will run a java-based program that allows you to do everything that the first part of Wisconsin's v1.x program supports, and a little bit more. Unfortunately, there is no functionality for producing the XML file.

Before Wisconsin dropped out, he started writing a new version, Map Creator v2.x, which is written in java. The latest version Wisconsin released, v2.0.0.2, can be downloaded here. It is not as fully developed as v1.0.1.5, but you may find it useful anyway.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Good luck.

Why search for artificial intelligence when there's such a crying need for the natural kind? — Michael J. Flynn

   at TripleAGameCreator.Form1..ctor()
   at TripleAGameCreator.Program.Main()

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Zim Xero
Map Creator is no longer supported.  The dev for it has left.  Some still use it, but you would have better luck using manual map creation within TripleA itself.