Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Can you post a screenshot of the data you entered... It's probably some data input issue. (Such as the cost textbox containing non-number characters)

Thanks

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

U-boat
When will this be usable on a Mac? Is this a 2.0 thing? How far are you on that?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Well, it's kind of like the AI, about half-done. I guess with both projects, doing the same sort of thing for long periods can make what originally was fun into a chore that gets more and more tiring each time you force yourself to work on it.

See, there are 27 different steps within the map creator program, and I've only coded about 10 of them. The framework is done, we just have to code the other 17 steps, then throw together some code to parse that into an xml file, and the program will be usable.

Actually, now that I look at my notes, we could just drop some of the extra steps, that way we can get the program running sooner, and get some user input in. Here are some of my notes:

Walkthrough Steps:

    Map Base:
        1. Map Information
        2. Map Base Image
        3. Territory Definitions
        4. Territory Polygons
        5. Territory Connections
        6. Unit Drawing Locations

    Map Xml:
        1. Map Presets
        2. Players And Alliances
        3. Player Order
        4. Unit List
        5. Technology List
        6. Territory Ownership
        7. Territory Production
        8. Unit Placements
        9. Map Canals
        10. Map Options
        11. Map Properties

    Map Extra's:
        1. Relief Images
        2. Territory Overlays
        3. Map Decorations
        4. Other Images
        5. Map Skins

    Map Finalization:
        1. Map Testing
        2. Map Notes

    Map Release:
        1. Add TripleA Map
        2. Upload To Repository
        3. Announce Your Map!

I think we could probably drop the extra's and release sections, that would leave only about 9 steps. (I've coded everything up to technology list)

What do you think?

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

its in java right?

if you get a working framework for the entire thing,
and post the source code on to sourceforge or google code,

then i'm sure i can help fill in stuff for the new engine

honestly, i wouldn't worry about the new engine stuff yet,

if you can get it to do the exact same stuff as the current map creator 1.0.1.5 does, then we can add on stuff later.

thx for all the effort,

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Yeah, it's in java. I'll start working on it then and tell you when the program is usable.

Also, to get a working copy out faster, I think I'll skip coding a number of the steps. (As well as coding the preset values for each step, for all five preset maps, that was really tiring...)

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

wood11
thx
made my first map ever.
i did it in 5 days.
but loved to do it.

www.pleestation.be/tripleA/wd_Libya.zip
Greetings

Werner dupont
wood11
werner.dupont@gmail.com

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Edwin van der Wal
Wisconsin wrote
Yeah, it's in java. I'll start working on it then and tell you when the program is usable.

Also, to get a working copy out faster, I think I'll skip coding a number of the steps. (As well as coding the preset values for each step, for all five preset maps, that was really tiring...)
Hey Wisconsin,

If you use the Gamedata object to create the "xml" in memory you can use the GamedataExporter class to convert it to valid xml.

Also the unitplacement could be done using the game using Editmode (and exporting it to XML) if that saves a lot of work.

Re: TripleA Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Wisconsin
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately the map creator uses its own class to store map data, which is incompatible with the TripleA GameData class. Though having unit placements done through TripleA would save development time, I think it's an important enough part of the map development process that it should be included within the map creator and specially coded for maximum efficiency.

The program's development is actually coming along okay. Atm, I'm working on the Unit Placements step, so this is what I have left to code: (- means I might skip coding it into the initial release)

        8. Unit Placements
        -9. Map Canals
        -10. Map Options
        11. Map Properties

    Map Extra's:
        -1. Relief Images
        -2. Territory Overlays
        -3. Map Decorations
        -4. Other Images
        -5. Map Skins

    Map Finalization:
        1. Map Testing
        2. Map Notes

    Map Release:
        1. Add TripleA Map
        -2. Upload To Repository
        3. Announce Your Map!

Thanks,
    Wisconsin

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

_EZell_
Is there a limit to the number of territories you can have when running map editor?

Would or should 367 territories and Sea Zones give your Map editor problems at any time?

Sorry, don't know, never tried it. I didn't and don't plan to code any limits, if that's what you're asking, I'll leave that up to the user.
fei

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

fei
i've been having this mistake
it's quite frustrating. i was editing the great war map, and every bloody time there's something wrong. convoys keep turning neutral everytime i reopen the map, the neutrals can't be made impassable apperently. and now, the game won't start up.  i tried it the a few times, and now my complete setup is gone!
all units more than 2 are gone!
what the hell is wrong??
please help; you won't believe it but i've been working on it for eight full hours now. and a fail every time.

Warning: validation was turned on but an org.xml.sax.ErrorHandler was not
set, which is probably not what is desired.  Parser will use a default
ErrorHandler to print the first 10 errors.  Please call
the 'setErrorHandler' method to fix this.
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=559: Element type "relationshipTypes" must be declared.
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=560: Element type "relationshipType" must be declared.
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=561: Element type "relationshipType" must be declared.
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=562: Element type "relationshipType" must be declared.
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=563: Element type "relationshipType" must be declared.
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=1058: Attribute "type" with value "relationship" must have a value from the list "unitType territory resource player ".
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=1062: Attribute "type" with value "relationship" must have a value from the list "unitType territory resource player ".
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=1066: Attribute "type" with value "relationship" must have a value from the list "unitType territory resource player ".
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=1070: Attribute "type" with value "relationship" must have a value from the list "unitType territory resource player ".
Error: URI=jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/Documents/TripleA/triplea_1_3_2_2/bin/triplea.jar!/games/strategy/engine/xml/ Line=2273: Element type "relationshipInitialize" must be declared.
Could not parse:jar:file:/C:/Users/Marleen/triplea/maps/World%20War%20II%20Pacific.zip!/games/ww2pac40.xml
games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: Class <games.strategy.triplea.delegate.PoliticsDelegate> could not be found.
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.getInstance(GameParser.java:328)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseDelegates(GameParser.java:851)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseGamePlay(GameParser.java:729)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:121)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserEntry.<init>(NewGameChooserEntry.java:27)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.createEntry(NewGameChooserModel.java:163)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populateFromZip(NewGameChooserModel.java:128)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populate(NewGameChooserModel.java:86)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.<init>(NewGameChooserModel.java:35)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.loadDefaultGame(GameSelectorModel.java:217)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:61)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.GameRunner2$1.run(GameRunner2.java:61)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
[...]
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooser.createComponents(NewGameChooser.java:56)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooser.<init>(NewGameChooser.java:45)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooser.chooseGame(NewGameChooser.java:123)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.GameSelectorPanel.selectGameFile(GameSelectorPanel.java:282)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.GameSelectorPanel.access$100(GameSelectorPanel.java:17)
fei

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

fei
apperently, they keep mentioning a pacific 40 what has nothing to do with this map!

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

beelee
you shall not fail fei
be patient someone will help

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

your errors relate to having a map made for triplea 1.4, and using it on triplea 1.3.2.2

move your pacific 1940 map (world war II pacific) to the triplea 1.4 maps folder, or delete the map zip altogether
fei

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

fei
This post was updated on .
okay, i've done what you said. the amount of errors has decreased. but problem still isn't solved;

Exception in thread "Triplea start local thread" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No attachment, newValue:PlayerID named:Ottomans property:originalOwner
        at games.strategy.engine.data.ChangeAttachmentChange.<init>(ChangeAttachmentChange.java:42)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.ChangeFactory.attachmentPropertyChange(ChangeFactory.java:190)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.OriginalOwnerTracker.addOriginalOwnerChange(OriginalOwnerTracker.java:57)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.InitializationDelegate.initOriginalOwner(InitializationDelegate.java:252)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.InitializationDelegate.init(InitializationDelegate.java:73)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.InitializationDelegate.start(InitializationDelegate.java:62)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startStep(ServerGame.java:647)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.runStep(ServerGame.java:520)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startGame(ServerGame.java:301)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher$2.run(LocalLauncher.java:125)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

it has something to do with the ottomans...

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Observer
Can I just say, as a non registered observer trying to figure some things out myself, that Wisconsin has to be one of the most patient and helpful coders I've ever seen in my life? Thanks on behalf of everyone else, Wisconsin.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

newuser
When I try and download this for Mac it says that it's a Windows application. It then opens it in TextEdit. How can I make this work?

Does this work for Mac?

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Edwin van der Wal
No it doesn't (unless you run it in VMware or bootcamp)

the 2.x version of the mapmaker works on mac.

Re: Map Creator 1.0.1.5 Released

Cleisthenis
The 2.0 version DOES NOT work for Mac. Frustrating because I've spent hours doing a map that will be stellar! How do we go about creating a map normally?