Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
Can someone tell me how to make an app out of the new unstable. I noticed it didn't include a .DMG file.

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

When you say an 'app', do you mean a simple mac release version, just like the mac version of 1.2.5.5?

If so, I'd be happy to tell you how:

1. Get a mac computer.

2. Download and install an SVN client.   I hear that SvnX is good, and free.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Subversion_clients

3. Edit: Mac computers come with JDK, so no need to download this.
[Download and install JDK.  JDK means java development kit, and is includes the JRE in it (java runtime environment, which is what everyone here has in order to play triplea).
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html ]

4. Download Apache ANT, http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi
Then unzip it, and put it somewhere out of the way.

5. Use the SVN client to download triplea 1.3 version.
Generally this involves:
Make a folder somewhere.
Right click on folder, select "svn checkout"
For the svn address, put: "https://triplea.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/triplea/branches/1_3_unstable/"
Then the SVN client will download all of the source files for triplea 1.3 onto your computer.

6. Create environmental variables / path variables for ANT.  I think JDK may already have all its variables set.
For ANT, you need to add ANT to the PATH variable, and also create a new variable called ANT_HOME

I am not too familiar with mac, but i think you open up your Consol / Terminal (Bash terminal), and type this:
export PATH=/home/users/ant_folder/bin:$PATH
/home/users/ant_folder/bin = the bin folder of the folder where you unzipped ant

and
export ANT_HOME=/usr/local/ant

and if you don't have JAVA_HOME set, then
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk-1.6.0.24
where /usr/local/jdk-1.6.0.24 = where-ever the heck your jdk is installed to

last, Restart computer

7. Open up the consol/terminal again, then navigate to the folder where you installed triplea 1.3
then to test if you got everything working properly, type:
"ant run"

this should compile the program, and start playing the game

if it works, go ahead and close triplea,

then go back to the terminal and type
"ant clean"
then, after that finishes:
"ant macRelease"

this should create the mac release

8. upload it somewhere fast!!
post a link on the forum

thanks,

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
thank veq! I'll get on it

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
I got it to compile, but "macrelease" isn't a command

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

ya, sorry

it is "ant macRelease"

just like "ant run", "ant clean", "ant zip", "ant release", "ant zipServer",

give that a try

you can also see all ant commands by typing "ant -p"

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
awesome, it worked

does 155mb compressed sound a little high?

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

yes it does....
maybe upload it somewhere and i will check to see if there are any 'extra' files in it somewhere.  I know that mac likes to add little invisible files into everything, especially for any folder that contains pictures.
The correct size should be around 80-100mb.

so just upload the zip somewhere, and i'll have a look.

by the way, what SVN client did you end up using?  i tried to help corsair use svnx, but it seemed rather difficult (and required a second svn binary behind the scenes, which may be annoying).

many thanks uboat,

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
I used svnx and it worked fine. Though this was just to bring it down to a folder. I don't know how well it will work for uploads or whatnot. I'll upload it tomorrow on some site, but I'm going to bed now.

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
http://www.mediafire.com/?odj258ty18w1w8o

155mb zipped and 200 for TripleA.app

that seems pretty high

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

ok, looking at the ant build file, it appears that "ant macRelease" will create 2 files:
a zip file for mac
and a ".dmg" file for mac

did you see the .dmg file?
it should be much smaller, like 80mb.

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
I re-ran it and it gave me the all platforms zip and the app. The app is still 202mb. i just compressed it an uploaded it last time. So I'm not really sure why it is that huge.

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
Ok, after viewing the hidden files, there are a bunch of these folder names ".svn" in just about every folder of TripleA.app. They're only about 1mb, at least for the ones I saw. That might be part of the reason. Any idea why Mac puts them there?

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

here is exactly what "macRelease" does:

        <target name="macRelease" depends="init,clean,compile,zip" description="create a mac os x application">

                <property name="dmg.file" value="release/triplea_${triplea.version}_mac.dmg"></property>
                <property name="app.file" value="release/Triplea.app"></property>

stuff....

so basically, first it does 'init', then it does 'clean', then it does 'compile', then it does 'zip' (which creates the all platforms version),
then it creates the dmg.file, calling it triplea_${triplea.version}_mac.dmg and putting it in the 'release' folder
then it creates the app.file, calling it Triplea.app and putting it in the release folder too

so...

did you see the dmg file?

if so, that is the one you need to upload

and yes, the reason the app folder is too big is because of the .svn files, which will be absent from the dmg and the .exe's that are created

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
The file I uploaded is the DMG file. I just zipped to compress a little of the space. This is not the "all_platform" zip. The reason I know there are .svn folders is because on a mac you can open up a .app file and view it's contents. Once I turned on show hidden files, it showed all of them there. So what I have uploaded is the one you want, but it's got all that stuff in it.

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
I just found a terminal code that will delete all the .svn folders. I'll go ahead and do that, then reupload it.

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
http://www.mediafire.com/?v6govzuamcgjext

Here you go. I created a script which deletes the .svn's automatically

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

Wisconsin
Hey Uboat!

Does the script you made work on Windows?
If so, can you email it to me, I've been looking for something like that for a while for one of my other projects.

Thanks!

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
Here's the one I use (first cd into the folder you want to start the hierarchy in)

then:

find ./ -name ".svn" | xargs rm -Rf

I read this works only for Mac and Linux. But I found this site here which gives an interesting way of deleting it without 3rd party software. You might want to check this out.

EDIT: when reading the comments of that page I found that the code he gives is a little off, and there are some extra quotations. Look at the comments at the bottom to get the fix.

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

ok, but i am very confused...

when i look at the mac download for 1.2.5.5, it is just a single file, a single .dmg file
if i open this .dmg file using 7zip, i can see that there are a list of several files within this, but it certainly is not any recognizable directory structure like your zip has

basically, the .dmg file for 1.2.5.5 looks completely different from the zip of the app file that you uploaded....

here are some pictures, to help me explain why i am confused:
the DMG file download for triplea 1.2.5.4

and the new APP file that you uploaded, for triplea 1.3

as you can see, the DMG file only has 7 files within it, while the 'app' zip you gave us has 4400 files within it.

I'll email sgb and ask him whats up,
in the mean time, i'll upload the app you have given us,
please have a second look for a file ending in ".dmg" in your release folder
(perhaps even do an 'ant clean', then start over with a new 'ant macRelease', and see if it makes a ".dmg" file)

thanks uboat, i think our mac users will be celebrating  :)

Re: Mac DMG TripleA 1.3

U-boat
Ok, I think I see the problem. I was giving you the actual app and not a dmg file. If you don't know, a DMG file is basically the equivalent to an ISO, otherwise known as a mountable disk image. What I did was I took the TripleA.app file and put it in a DMG and then compressed it to 75.8mb. It is now an actual DMG file. Considering the last DMG for 1.2.5.5 was only 10mb, 75mb seems like a big jump. Is this because of all the maps that you added, or is something wrong?

I'll post the link when it's done uploading.
1234 ... 6