Quantcast

Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

Trenacker
I'm looking for a map-maker to help with building a TripleA map to test some modifications to the A&A core rule set.

I plan a new map, new units based on a d12 combat system, and new gameplay mechanics, including a "naval combat search" rule to simulate fleets being unable to find one another at sea.

The new game is based on an alternate history that imagines what would have happened had the German High Seas Fleet not managed to scuttle itself. The goal of the alternate history was to draw more countries into the war since my group of players has found that large areas of the board (namely, South America and the Balkans) rarely get much attention.

Re: Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

RogerCooper
Why build a new map? Try your rules on existing map like Big_World or Domination. Building a map from scratch is a lot of work.

I don't see anyone of supporting a "naval search" mechanic in TripleA. The best you can do is limit the number of naval combat rounds.

D12 combat is fully supported.

Re: Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

Trenacker
Is it possible to add new combatant nations such as Portugal and Greece?

I am familiar with some d12 systems. I suspected, however, that I might have trouble integrating other rule sets...

Really, I want to use a nice Triple A map as a basis for possibly printing a much larger map on vinyl.

Re: Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

beelee
This post was updated on .
yea you can add new nations. Check out pact of steel 2 xml. It explains a lot. Total world war uses a D12 so you might want to check that out too.

pact_of_steel_2.xml

you might find this helpful also

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Any-help-for-a-total-beginner-Regarding-XML-etc-tp7592325.html

Re: Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

RogerCooper
I think that the Domination map will suit your purpose

Re: Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

Trenacker
You're absolutely right that the map gets most of the way there, but I'd like to edit the size of certain territories.

Re: Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

Cernel
While Domination is a good suggestion if you intend to use it as a starting point over which to remove and add a lot of borders (that map was actually originally created with that in mind), as is, in that map, Berlin-Paris is 5 moves and Moscow-Peking is 6 moves...
For real, they are about 900 km vs 5,800 km; thus, if Moscow-Peking is 6, then Berlin-Paris should be 1.
If you have in mind a realistic game, and want a map with a somewhat realistic drawing, or at least not practically representing another world, you have not much here to start with, but take a look at Total World War (3 moves vs 9 moves) or Global War (2 moves vs 7 moves) or Global War 2 (1 move vs 8 moves).

Re: Looking for Map-Maker to Help with New Game Idea

Trenacker
That's a terrific point, Cernel.

My challenge is that I envision certain wars taking place in certain locations. For example, I think Angola should be broken down into many different regions.

On reflection, I'm less concerned about accurate representation of distance than about creating opportunities for tactical play, which often means having one front and multiple ways to get troops to that location from different directions.

All this said, while World Domination is a good example, I think my objective would be best served by a new map, which I hear can be very technically demanding to create.