Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
This post was updated on .
invasion usa
I've created a Fortress America scenario for TripleA a while ago but decided to remove it because of the hassles regarding copyright and trademark issues.

However, playing the Zombieland scenario made me decide to use the new features that v3 now allows and make a new scenario inspired by Fortress America, using most of the work already done: Invasion U.S.A.

You can download it using the TripleA Download Maps menu option and from the TripleA Quality Mods EB site (installation is automatic).

You can also download it here. (version 1.5 - July 8th, 2010). To install simply place the .zip file (no need to extract it) on the /maps folder. Please check the game notes for a detailed description.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
Removed all copyrighted material and changed unit names. The basic map is still the same but the relief is original so there shouldn't be a problem.

Added National Objectives for each invader and made a few changes to balance. I still haven't playtested this version yet so balance is still a big unknown.

New version is on the link above.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Toronado3800
You'll have to walk me through this.  Pretty much I coped the files into a folder called Invasion USA and trying to use the more N Able AI got me this error.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not find file for map:invasionusa
        at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getPaths(ResourceLoader.java:67)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ResourceLoader.getMapresourceLoader(ResourceLoader.java:33)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.internalSetMapDir(UIContext.java:189)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext.setDefaltMapDir(UIContext.java:162)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleAFrame.<init>(TripleAFrame.java:196)
        at games.strategy.triplea.TripleA$1.run(TripleA.java:150)

I'm playing against myself now.  Thanks for the map.  I loved the game.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
I'll post a bug report later if it continues, I haven't tried the A.I. (seems to hang the game and I had more important issues at the moment. You don't even have to unzip, you can simply put the .zip file on the /games folder.

I've played twice tonight online without any problems. First one I conceded with the US by turn 12 and on the second I got lucky on the dice the invaders and it ended by turn 5.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Toronado3800
I just ran it through about a dozen turns solo.

U.S. put a serious hurt on the eastern and southern invaders early, letting the western invaders in with the intention of killing them later.  Oops, Western invaders eventually got to Chicago while the remnants of the Eastern and Southern invaders kept the US air force tied up.

Just curious, can the US take over the invasion zones?  I didn't read or try it for some reason.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
The US can't move or attack the invasion zones.

I've played 1 more time up to turn 6 against a human player. The US hit the southern invaders heavily and put a big defense on the West but Eastern managed to deadzone Atlanta by turn 4. Then the US couldn't hold out the southern front anymore. They still had some 10 inf on Salt Lake City but Southern was pushing towards Denver and about to take Dallas and Eastern was on its way to link with them.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
Uploaded today (May 4th) version 1.3.

Changes:
- Modified predeployed U.S. starting forces. Also added rule of placing only National Guard bid units on cities.
- Changed National Objectives for invaders, giving them more possible cities to achieve the NOs.

"
Got it with the new version.  If you're playing it them I'm doing something wrong.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Toronado3800
I used the auto install and it worked lol.  Go figure.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
Glad all worked out.

Are you just playing against the AI? How are your games going?

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
I was busy lately but I've managed to finish upload version 1.4, which introduces a few changes to try to balance the game and prevent it from being a massive frontline war.

On the previous version it seemed that the basic US strategy was to attrit the invaders as much as possible and prevent their production from getting too low. The invaders on the other hand were having to form big armored forces to break and hold gaps on the Americans line.

Now the US infantry produced has been reduced to half but it can now own money from 4 national objectives: at least 2 out of 5 oil territories, 3 out of 6 and 9 out of 17 and holding Washington at the end of the turn. Also, the US is now limited to placing units on cities and mountainous areas but it can 'liberate' empty enemy controlled territories, using the edit function.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
Finally managed to play 1.4 against a human opponent rather than solitaire (Able Moore AI doesn't work due to a bug that is already reported).

The US conceded at the end of turn 5 after it had lost Washington and the ability to retake it or guard the Northeast. It was keeping up the 18 cities though and would have been interesting to see if it could have prevented the Invaders from getting 19 cities until the end of turn 8. By turn 5 the invaders had ran out of their original money although Western could get its NO.

US kept liberating Los Angeles/San Diego with its ability to generate units on any empty city. This turned into a harassment for the Western invader. The necessity to guard the mountain territories on the West is also a drain for the invader.

US also focused on defending Texas and the oil territories. But the Southern invader switched the direction of its advance to Denver and Western was about to hit Salt Lake City, leaving the Midwest wide open.

A few ideas for the next version:
- Give helicopters the ability to transport paratroopers to increase their usage. Overall I think this will benefit more the invaders than the americans, I'm trying to think of a way to rebalance it.
- Replace the Washington NO: it turns the fight on the NE to a huge US buildup on the city.
- Redeploy some of the lasers, namely those on the Midwest to more frontline positions.

- Replace the Washington NO: it turns the fight on the NE to a huge US buildup on the city.
- Redeploy some of the lasers, namely those on the Midwest to more frontline positions.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
Version 1.5.0 uploaded.

List of changes:
- All flags redesigned.
- Changed each invaders' starting units to 60 predefined units +  6 factories (no production of new units available anymore). Invaders place 20 units initially then 8 per turn. There are no actual game limits to how many units the invaders may place each turn so the players need to count them. The ICs however have a unit production limit of 5.
- Paratroopers added, 1 infantry or regular for helicopters.
- Reduced the overall numbers of helicopter for each invader from 9 to 6 because of their limited usefulness, even with the paratrooper ability and added 3 armors to replace them.
- US player now places its 60 units and 12 lasers at his choice at the beginning of the game, 2 units for each city, plus distributes the lasers, 1 for each city.
- US now has a national objective worth 12 for holding Northern Command (the invaders can't take it) plus receive 1 inf for each 16 territories they control.

The game seems to be more or less balanced but it is hard for the Invaders to push inland to get the cities without suffering major losses. More feedback on this would be appreciated.

And there is now an additional scenario, AI playable, called Apocalypse. It's basically a free for all with a 4th invader added (Northern). Territories are worth PUs for the Invaders and each city has a factory and a production level of 3. Resource territories are worth 2 PUs and the rest 1 PUs. Americans receive no PUs but place 1 infantry for each 3 territories they control.

Have fun :)

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hi Hobbes,
I noticed your scenario uses paratroopers, among possibly other things.
From triplea 1.2.5.5 to 1.3.2.1, the engine was updated to change a number of things, and one of the consequences is that paratroopers no longer works for maps using the old way of doing things.

Can you please update your map?

The exact changes that need to be made to the maps (all changes only really matter for maps using v3 or later rules):

1. Fix a naming problem in the step name for the "BidPlace" for japanese.  The game registers a bid place by having the step name exactly end with "BidPlace"
                        <step name="japanesedPlace" delegate="placeBid" player="Japanese" maxRunCount="1"/>
becomes:
                        <step name="japaneseBidPlace" delegate="placeBid" player="Japanese" maxRunCount="1"/>

2. Fix repairing by deleting ALL instances of "factory_hit" from the xml
So, from <unitList>, delete <unit name="factory_hit"/>
In unit attachments, delete <attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="factory_hit" .... etc....
And in repairing, change the repair rules to read (change "factory_hit" to "factory"):
                <repairRule name="repairFactory">
                        <cost resource="PUs" quantity="1" />
                        <result resourceOrUnit="factory" quantity="1"/>
                </repairRule>

                <repairRule name="repairFactoryIndustrialTechnology">
                        <cost resource="PUs" quantity="1" />
                        <result resourceOrUnit="factory" quantity="2"/>
                </repairRule>
(obviously in custom maps, it might be "land_hit" that is deleted or changed to "land", or w/e, instead of 'factory/factory_hit')

3. To any "infantry" like unit (any unit that should be lifted by paratroopers), you need to add the following:
                         <option name="isAirTransportable" value="true"/>

4. To any "armour" / tank like unit (any unit that should be carrying other, when you have mechanized infantry tech [will carry any unit with 'isInfantry']), you need to add:
                         <option name="isLandTransport" value="true"/>

5. To any "bomber" like unit (any unit that should be lifting other units when you have paratroopers tech), you need to add:
                         <option name="isAirTransport" value="true"/>

6. Lastly, and Optionally, I am adding the following game options to maps:
                                <property name="Low Luck for AntiAircraft" value="false" editable="true">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Low Luck for Technology" value="false" editable="true">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Low Luck for Bombing and Territory Damage" value="false" editable="true">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Super Sub Defence Bonus" value="0" editable="true">
                                                <number min="0" max="1"/>
                                </property>

                                <property name="Battleships repair at beginning of round" value="false" editable="true">
                                                <boolean/>
                                </property>

For things like the new giveUnits code, or the new productionPerXTerritories code, see Pact of Steel 2's xml for examples of how to use it.

And any time "unitProduction" is above "production" in the xml, it has to be moved to be underneath production in order to work properly from now on, because production now overwrites unitProduction to be equal to production.

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

UnknownEntity
I recently downloaded this map and it is presently completely unplayable.  The US player cannot place units at all in current versions of the game.  Is there any fix, or is this map dead?  And, if so, shouldn't it be removed from the map lists?

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

Hobbes__
Sorry for the time to reply, haven't visited the forums in a while.

Which version of TripleA did you try it with?

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

mmurph12
Invasion U.S.A. 1.5.0 is not playable with TripleA 1.3.2.2.  Invaders deploy ALL units in the first turn.  USA cannot place any units anywhere during the placement phase (after the purchase phase).

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

hepster
Who is still using 1.3.2.2. ???

Re: Invasion U.S.A.

mmurph12
I am using TripleA 1.6.1.2 and Invasion USA 1.5.  I still cannot deploy American units at any point after the initial deployment.  And the enemy is deploying all of their units at once.  Are these versions compatible?
12