How to upload newly finished map

BeornTheBold
I have completed a new map, I call it Empire Version 2.  (Version 1 is also available but it is much improved now).  It is an 18 player free for all.

Only I can't figure out how to upload it so others can download it.  I read the page on github that is supposed to be a guide for this and I am only more confused.

Can anyone provide a step by step procedure?

Re: How to upload newly finished map

Cernel
Under Veqryn's leadership v1, v2, etc. were reserved for the basic games only, and no other games could have used them, unless they wanted to be fully compliant with one of the relative rulesets, and, in this case, they would have had something like "v3 Rules" at the end (not just "v3").
I don't know if the new leaders want to keep up with these restrictions, and I'm not sure if having "Version 2" instead of "v2" would have been acceptable (I guess not).
Just saying.

And, yah, I'm interested in the topic as well. Haven't really looked into the GitHub thing, yet, but it seems really difficult. Frostion managed to get it done, tho.

I'm almost sure that Topic is obsolete. If it is so, I believe the admins here should lock it and make a post telling so, or people will keep proposing their maps in there.

Re: How to upload newly finished map

Re: How to upload newly finished map

BeornTheBold
Unfortunately, that link just takes me back to what I already saw and couldn't make sense of.

Re: How to upload newly finished map

I have stated this many times, whenever I get the chance, I think there is a problem with Github not being that user friendly towards new (and old) mapmakers. It is simply too complicated and the “skill set” needed to understand and use Github is nothing like what is needed to craft a map or make mods of existing maps. There is no guarantee that the “drive” a mapmaker has when creating a map extends to also giving him an urge to learn something like Github for the purpose of getting the map listed ingame. Github seems more like a programming and developer friendly universe than a mapmakers, and it is probably with good cause very liked by developers. I also know that a lot of work have been laid into writing Github uploading and posting guides and instructions. These are also great, but I don’t think they can stand alone.

Maybe a better system would be to:

1. Allow mapmakers to post their zipped maps here at forum alongside a fitting description for the ingame map listing.
2. Have a developer verify the quality of the map (even a “work in progress” unfinished map) and judge it ready for upload.
3. Have a developer upload it to https://github.com/triplea-maps and make the first edit to the Yaml file (ingame map listing file) so the map gets listed with description. This would also allow new people to maybe join the map development if help is needed and wanted (or if the original poster mysteriously abandons his project).
4. Now the mapmaker would just need to make a Github account, get access to the map, learn to edit/update the files at Github (edits and drag and drop in the browser is really simple). The mapmaker could then learn to manually download his own newest map zip from Guthub, place it in downloadedMaps and test if it works. If it seems fine, a request could be sent to a developer to update the Yaml file again.

Ofcouse some potential mapmakers could learn (maybe already knows) Github on a more advanced level. Then these mapmakers could and would of course get more involved, but I don’t think it should be expected. I would imagine the current map releasing process might lead to some maps never getting released or maybe only posted as a zip on a forum.

I know my proposal would not remove all the developer involvement in the map releasing/updating process, something I imagine developers would like. But I just don’t think it is realistic to leave everything up to potential map makers and expect them to dig in, learn Github, post new maps and thereby adding to and expanding the TripleA game.

(BeornTheBold, I also think all maps deserve to be tested out by other TripleA enthusiasts before going live in the game. This might lead to some constructive feedback and map changes, and it might satisfy our curiosity concerning your new map )

Re: How to upload newly finished map

captaincrunch
I like your idea only because it keeps this forum alive and ya keeping things easy and simple are preferred like I hate when webpages hide links but whatever I like ergonomic stuff but its all fun no matter what the developers decide

Re: How to upload newly finished map

@Frostion - Not a bad idea. Though it might be better to have other mapmakers or folks that are helping test that do know how to upload a new map do it rather than developers. Hopefully this is a larger group of people and minimizes the chance the developers become a bottleneck.

Re: How to upload newly finished map

ZjelcoP
I believe I can create a new repository and get all map files up there, but can anyone complete all steps necessary?
As far as I can see all files extra in the repository are standard and can be copied except for the
api_key: secure: in .travis.yml
No clue what it is or how to generate that. Do you need Admin-access in any step?

Re: How to upload newly finished map

BeornTheBold
Thank you Frostion, even programmers who have no experience with github (such is my case) are a bit lost trying to figure out what to do.  Having programmed for over 33 years, my skills however are old school and I have done little collaboration with others; it has always been just me alone working on the project.  I grasp the concept of github; I've made an account there; but when I look at the page where that link leads I can't easily determine what to do next.

I have no problem with someone vetting my work; I would expect it.  I'm not objecting to there being such a process.  I just don't know how to begin the process.

I would like to learn how to use Github.  But it's not very intuitive, and having had no prior experience with even anything similar, I'm lost.  A step by step instruction set would be very helpful.  Perhaps such exists; I haven't searched for tutorials on it which now I will probably do.

My map by the way is tested.  I have a group of guys here who have over a lot of years played my game as an actual board game, using a gameboard created on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and tokens "borrowed" from axis & allies, other board games, and even crafted from wooden shapes from the hobby store.  Now since I've completed it in the TripleA universe, we have had several LAN sessions and played it.  I'm confident it is ready for wider release.

I agree that making this process easier will result in more involvement and enthusiasm, making the TripleA universe larger.  I have other ideas which I will dabble with for future maps, and seeing what others have done brings new ideas.

Re: How to upload newly finished map

aaalafayette
The github maps project is brand new. Please ask questions and help with the documentation, otherwise it could be best to wait for the official 1.9 release and some extra time for the map making process to mature.

To be most helpful, please comment on what is confusing or incomplete in these two pull requests:
- http://github.com/triplea-maps/Project/pull/40/files
- http://github.com/triplea-maps/Project/pull/41/files

It's pretty simple to get maps playing in the end. It's really helpful to be super specific about what is confusing, where you are running into trouble. Screenshots, links to documentation you found are really helfpul too.  Please prefer to ask questions here: https://github.com/triplea-maps/Project/issues/new

Forum threads are great for long running conversations where nobody really needs to take any actions, but they suck for operational issues where you want to be close down and move on to anything that needs new attention.

The way tripleA was set up, it required about 20 hours per week for full time admin stuff. I would rather those 20 hours go towards new game features. Furthermore, we've lost capacity, and there is no 20 hours of admin time available. This means that the game would be just frozen with no admins around to push forward your requests.

The new github system is designed so admins can be more efficient. It is also designed to allow for a self service option. That process is still rough, and the easier and more streamlined we can get it, the better for the project.

The last option is somewhere to post map zips for processing. That option has not been opened up for 1.9 yet. This was the *only* option available in 1.8.0.9, and similar, the turn-around time will not be any faster, measured in weeks or months.  Hence, the self-service option, with a 2 hour turn-around time, is a good thing for us to make easy. It also requires the least work from the admins.

@Zjelco - the api key is the only thing that non-admins cannot do. We can update the process to loop in more admins, and allow them to generate the api-key.

Re: How to upload newly finished map

captaincrunch
This post was updated on .