How do Invisible Units Work ?

beelee
So I see maps that use invisible units, but when I try to use one I get an error saying the unit is invisible. I searched around and looked at some xmls but couldn't find an explanation.

Anyone care to explain how they work ? It would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How do Invisible Units Work ?

Zim Xero
Invisible units are usually stationary, and not meant to be played.  Their purpose is to exist, because conditions can sense their presence, and activate triggers off of them.  An example would be an invisible "Winter" unit placed in certain Russian territories an certain turns.  When present they might give allied infantry a +1 defense modifier.   Another example might be to put an invisible unit on a territory which is destructible, for the purpose of knowing whether the territory has ever been conquered by another nation.  Maybe it would give +1 PUs to the territory.

Re: How do Invisible Units Work ?

beelee
Thanks for the quick reply Zim. Hmm... it seems what I have should work then. It's a move 0 is infrastructure unit whose purpose is to allow UK Pacific the ability to place and repair bunkers. UK Pacific's units all turn into British so I made 2 units. One is UKP, which allows placement, the other is British, which allows repair. Perhaps I need to remove the attack/defense values.

Well, that didn't work either. When Japan attacks a TTy where they're present, it throws the error. Do you know of a way to do this ? Right now everyone is on the same production frontier and I wanted to avoid giving everybody their own if I can.

This is what I have if you'd care to comment further.

<attachment name="unitAttachment" attachTo="UKPBunkerAssist" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attachments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
<option name="movement" value="0"/>
<option name="attack" value="0"/>
<option name="defense" value="0"/>
<option name="isInfrastructure" value="true"/>
<option name="repairsUnits" value="1:bunker"/>
<option name="canBeCapturedOnEnteringBy" value="French:Americans:British:Russians:Germans:Italians:Japanese:ANZAC:Chinese"/><option name="canBeGivenByTerritoryTo" value="UK_Pacific"/>
</attachment>

Maybe someone fresher on xml can comment.  I do remember there is other code to add if you want to be able to transfer units between nations.  It should be noted in POS2.

Re: How do Invisible Units Work ?

beelee
Thanks Zim. Yea you gotta have a territoryAttachment "changeUnitOwners". I tried some other stuff but...went ahead and started the separate production. I should have done it from the git go but the whole thing kinda grew on me :)

Hey ! Used your "Solo Challenge" intro for notifications. Works great !