WELCOME to the Historical Board Games' sponsored BATTLE OF THE AGES Tournament!
The purpose of the tournament is: 1. To promote Historical Board Games (For those who don't know, Historical Board Games sells stuff like DICE, Plastic unit pieces, boards, any just about any other A&A or war game accessory you can think of.)
To this end, ALL PLAYERS who WIN AT LEAST 2 GAMES, and play all the way to the end, WILL RECEIVE $5 towards any purchase at Historical Board Games. The Grand Winner of the tournament WILL RECEIVE $40.
2. To promote TripleA
All games must be done with TripleA, either play-by-forum at A&A.org, or live in the triplea lobby.
3. To get people to try NEW BOARD GAMES. Everyone here is here for one thing: Axis & Allies. We all love it. There are a multitude of A&A boards, like Classic, Revised, AA50, Global, 1942, etc. But what many people don't know about, is that there are many Axis & Allies based boards out there that have been perfected, polished, and balanced over years of work by the TripleA community.
Games like New World Order (Same rules as a A&A Revised, but using a board that only covers the European theater of war during World War II), have been played for more than 5 years, and balanced in over 10,000 games, to a point of perfection that can only be reached by something that is constantly tweaked and fixed by its creators.
How the Tournament will work: This tournament will be a modified Swiss style tournament, where each win gets you 2 points, and each draw gets you 1 point, and each loss gets you zero points.
Players will be paired up with opponents of a similar level to themselves, based on the number of points they have.
Players will not play the same opponent twice, unless it is required during the final round.
There will be 5-6 rounds of play. Goal is 32 players total.
The first 2 rounds will be organized at the beginning, and will happen concurrently. When the 1st round is finished, the 3rd round will get started. When the 2nd round is finished, the 4th round will get started.
This way, all players will be playing 2 games at a time. This will hopefully speed things up considerably.
Each round will have a different map/game. The games to be played are:
1. Napoleonic Empires(the 1v1, non-political version) [1800 - 1850]
2. New World Order [world war 2]
3. 270BC [rome vs carthage]
4. Great War [world war 1]
5. Lord of the Rings: Middle Earth [fantasy]
(Optional Tiebreaker round if needed: Total World War)
Rules: 1. Veqryn, Gargantua, and coachofmany, are in charge of this tournament. If you have questions or need rulings, direct them to us!
2. No teams. All games are 1v1. Entry is free.
3. All players who are participating must make an account at Historical Board Game's website: http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/register.asp?cg=0 This is so that you can receive your prize money at the end of the tourney. (This is mandatory, even if you plan on losing all your games)
All players must also make an account at A&A.org website: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/ (please contact me if you have any trouble making an account or logging in.)
4. The Tourney is Swiss style, noone is eliminated. Any players who play ALL 5 rounds AND Win at least 2 games, will receive $5 on Historical Board Games.
5. The Grand Winner of the Tournament will receive $40 on Historical Board Games. (You have to cover your own shipping costs if it goes over your prize amount)
6. Because everyone is new to most of these games, rulings will be based on a "Common Sense" approach, and will not be very strict. Everyone should post regularly, like at least several times per week unless you notify everyone you are on a holiday or something.
7. Games will be played in the A&A forum, unless both players agree to play the game live on the lobby, or by email (please post the result save when the game is over). All games will use the DEFAULT rules in TripleA, unless both players agree. (So for example, Great War is dice, while New World Order is low luck)
We will start either when we reach 32 people, or within 3 weeks, whichever comes first!
Re: Historical Boardgames sponsored BATTLE OF THE AGES Tournament
The Final will be Total World War, I think, and when I can get the save from the end of the game, I thought about going through the game, make a videocapture with comments. I only have a freeware screencapture prog, so no promise, that it will ever happen.