Graphics

For developers looking for open source graphics it can be a painfully long search.
Here are two excellent sources for open source game art which might be helpful:

http://letsmakegames.org/resources/art-assets-for-game-developers/
http://opengameart.org/

Besides starting from scratch or using graphics from archives, it is possible
to create our own art and sound effects through manipulation.  I ran out of open
source 2D planet textures for one of my maps with 100 planets so I started making
planets with a camera.  Took a 1000x1000 circle out of them, applied extra contrast,
darkened, streched, applied a lens effect, made the background transparent.
All images made grayscale then white converted to transparency and shrunk to 192x192 pixels:

Planet 01: Indoor white painted wall

Planet 02: Toilet seat cover

Planet 03: Towel

Planet 04: Flowery curtain

High Definition Relief Images

Zim Xero
While improving in graphical ability, I stumbled upon a realization:

Most grayscale relief tiles are created by one of three methods:

* Coloring White to Alpha (final color is never brighter than its base faction color)
* Coloring Black to Alpha(final color is never darker than its base faction color)
* Converting to Black & White, then adding transparency(has darks and lights but they are muddled)

I'll add an example later but here is a much better method for some applications.
1) convert to black and white and save as copy1
2) convert white in copy1 to alpha and save as copy2
3) convert black in copy1 to alpha and save as copy3
4) overlay copy2 and copy3. save as copy4

Copy 4, the final copy, now has low transparency in the bright and dark regions, and high transparency in the middle.  This creates a higher definition in-game than standard methods.  It may be desireable to add slight transparency to this final copy before adding to the game.

Re: High Definition Relief Images

Zim Xero
Here is an example of high definition using a green faction color:

Base Image

B&W half transparent

High Definition

Re: High Definition Relief Images

hepster
Looks great Zim.  Very high quality.

Re: High Definition Relief Images

Zim Xero
Here is a collection of Open Source units which might be useful.  Some WW2, napoleanic, ancient, future, and general but a lot of it is fantasy.  (4.5 MB zipped)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kwxs48

Copy 4, the final copy, now has low transparency in the bright and dark regions, and high transparency in the middle.  This creates a higher definition in-game than standard methods.  It may be desireable to add slight transparency to this final copy before adding to the game.
Could you explain what "alpha" is? I'm somewhat of a PS noob.

Re: High Definition Relief Images

Alpha means clear or transparency in Gimp.

I put together an example of different terrain texture types for TripleA relief maps to show options available.  "Hi-Def" relief is made by pasting a white-to-Alpha(clear) version on top of a black-to-Alpha(clear) and discarding the original image.  Hi-Definition makes midranges more transparent while preserving contrast.

Row1 is the original texture and the Colors the texture terrains were pasted on to.
Row2 is close to how most maps do their terrain right now.
Row3 Half-color dual Hi-Def is interesting but makes it difficult to differentiate similar color factions.
Row4 Black and White double processed Hi-def is the best for color plus detail.
Row5 Sepia Hi-Def is an option with less detail but adds character.

Re: High Definition Relief Images

Occasionally unit images are too blocky(ORIGINAL).  Here's a way to improve them(MODIFIED):

ORIGINAL   MODIFIED  STANDARD

Enlarge the original image using paint.net  1600%, choosing "Bi-linear" quality.  Save.
Next, Reduce the image to original size in Gimp, choosing Sinc (Lanczos3) quality. Save.

For comparison, the STANDARD image is what happens if you enlarge 1600% using "best quality" and then shrink using "best quality".

Re: High Definition Relief Images

i like the original...