Global Dominance

Well I have been working away building a game.  I figured by this point I may as well share my idea's and see what the community thinks, because if this is ever going to be done I am going to need help from other people.  Some of the idea's may be possible with some work and others might either be unachievable or a considerable amount of work to make possible.

I am a fan of large scale games with plenty of detail and allowance for varying strategies.  So while I know that this will definitely not appeal to all TripleA players, I'd like to see if what I am designing is of interest to anyone out there.

Here is what the map looks like

And a couple blow up views
Europe

Asia & pacific

East coast & Atlantic

Here is two of the completed unit charts.

You will notice that as part of my game each of the teams have some unique units as well as having modified stats on some units.  Both are meant to customize each of the teams and create some differences parallel to the strengths and weaknesses of units during the war.

And finally all of the Static units.

The map itself is similar to Domination with a variety of differences.  It is utterly massive.  I will be posting it for view soon.

Re: Global Dominance

I certainly hope with all these massively big, and massively complex, maps coming out, that players will pick them up and give them a try.

Kudos on the work.

The graphics are too big for my screen though.... could you make them 20-50% smaller (yet still legible)?

Re: Global Dominance

Karl-591
Looks interesting. Though I am confused as to the meaning of the red lines. I shall keep an eye on this one.

Re: Global Dominance

Eschelon
Nice!

Re: Global Dominance

Karl-591 wrote
Looks interesting. Though I am confused as to the meaning of the red lines. I shall keep an eye on this one.
The red lines simply draw logical connections between unit development.  ie.  Basic infantry can be produced out of a recruitment center.  The remainder of the infantry units require a recruitment center plus a research facility to be produced.  A small tank only requires a minor factory to be produced.  However, all of the other logical extensions of that unit require a major factory and a research facility to be produced.  ETC.  This means that the vast quantity of highly effective units need to be produced out of defend-able Territories with moderate to high PU generation.  Furthermore, I have limited the placement of recruitment centers to Territories you owned at the start of the game (national boundaries) or acquired Friendly Neutral countries so that it limits what you can produce on foreign soil.  {I always found it silly that you could put a factory (or capture a factory) in a captured Territory and then produce infantry from the enemies population}. Under this design you can capture a factory and build mechanical units, but you still have to bring your infantry from home.  And that's only if you haven't bombed the crap out of it before invading it.

The idea of this game is to make the production process a much more strategic endeavor (along with everything else).   That is why I made; cities & victory cities a bomb-able unit, separated factories into producing individual units and gave them all "hit points".  Territories containing these units constitute the economic centers for the nations and if you let them fall into disrepair you will suffer the consequences of reduced production and limited defensive capabilities.  However by doing this I also intended to slow the rate at which either team could completely decimate the opposition.  So if the Allies want to cripple the Germans its going to take a concentrated effort, not 4 bombers over 2 turns, but 8+ bombers and supporting (escort) aircraft to really make a difference without it becoming a total back fire and costly blunder.  Conversely, the Germans can now produce A.A. guns (which are far more effective) and aircraft to counter such a strategy at the cost of units for the Eastern front.  By utilizing the much increased PU generation, each team can create the units that suite your strategy and you will have a far more dynamic game.   That is why infantry units are intentionally not scaled up statistically speaking in relation to other units.  They are cheap, and for all intensive purposes ineffective ground fodder, if you will.  I added peripheral units and special abilities to add a new dimension to the game and increase their value & effectiveness.  ie. Commanders, Trenches, fixed positions, etc. etc.

I have started to write an overview of the game principles that I hope will clarify what it is I am trying to do here.  I will post it when it is ready for general consumption.

Cheers & thanks for the response.

Re: Global Dominance

Veqryn wrote
I certainly hope with all these massively big, and massively complex, maps coming out, that players will pick them up and give them a try.
Me too!

Veqryn wrote
The graphics are too big for my screen though.... could you make them 20-50% smaller (yet still legible)?
Why are you checking TripleA with your iphone?

I'm not sure I can reduce it much without the smaller script becoming unreadable.

Just right click, view image and then cut and past into whatever you use to view images.

Re: Global Dominance

i don't use any apple products, due to their company's closed and anti-competitive policies

FYI, most laptop screens are 1366x768 pixels large

good luck with the map!

Re: Global Dominance

hepster
Lol! I was just kidding.

I will try to reduce it tonight and see whether it is readable.

Thanks.  I may need your assistance at some point during this.

Re: Global Dominance

hepster
Oh and I left this out but it the other thing I was looking to add to the game.

Units would require oil to be built.  I have charts that show it, but for now I'll just show the images.

Re: Global Dominance

Zim Xero
This game looks really cool.  I think many of the game maps will eventually convert to multiple resource systems like this one.  What app did you use to make all of those unit description graphics?

Re: Global Dominance

hepster
Zim Xero wrote
This game looks really cool.  I think many of the game maps will eventually convert to multiple resource systems like this one.  What app did you use to make all of those unit description graphics?
I used paint.net.  I now use it for just about everything I do graphically.  Its free and its pretty versatile.

I'm going to re-post the German units list including the oil resource.  Just to let people see what I was planning.

Thanks for the post.

Re: Global Dominance

hepster
Ok, so here is the re-done German list including oil requirements.

Re: Global Dominance

hepster

P.s Veq. I shrunk it down.  Hope you can see it better.

Re: Global Dominance

Damzek
how can I download this map please? I can't find it in last version.Thanks

Re: Global Dominance

Zim Xero
One thing about your game... and many others being developed with higher dice than six that will become annoying to us all is when single units fight each other and each has a combat value of one.  It can take a lot of button hits to get the combat over with.  Maybe Veqryn can code a button or hotkey for 'quick combat' that will automatically re-roll if there are no hits.

Re: Global Dominance

Eschelon
Just wanted to say that your supporting documentation above is very nicely done.  You obviously have a flair for graphic arts!

I am assuming you will be providing a manual with said graphics along with the scenario at some point?

Re: Global Dominance

Damzek wrote
how can I download this map please? I can't find it in last version.Thanks
The game is still being developed.  I created this thread in the hopes that some of the able-bodied skilled individuals might want to help make many of the idea's here a reality.  As soon as the game is ready I shall be inserting the link in the first post.

Zim Xero wrote
One thing about your game... and many others being developed with higher dice than six that will become annoying to us all is when single units fight each other and each has a combat value of one.  It can take a lot of button hits to get the combat over with.  Maybe Veqryn can code a button or hotkey for 'quick combat' that will automatically re-roll if there are no hits.
Yes!  One of the things I'd like to see implemented is an "auto combat resolution" option.  It would definitely help this game out (as well as other planned & existing games)!

Eschelon wrote
Just wanted to say that your supporting documentation above is very nicely done.  You obviously have a flair for graphic arts!
Thank you, I appreciate it.  I have gradually become more comfortable with manipulating Paint.Net and it has made creating new units, charts and maps very easy.  Graphics won't be the problem.  Getting a functional XML is where I hit a brick wall!  I have a plethora of idea's, just no skill at implementing them.  That's why I started this thread hoping people would join in to get it working.

Eschelon wrote
I am assuming you will be providing a manual with said graphics along with the scenario at some point?
Yes.  I have a very rough hodge-podge list of things that I feel people will need to know based on how I have designed the game.  But for right now I'm still working on getting all the unit designs done and plotting out the starting unit placements (3/4 done), starting PU levels (Done, but changing as I get placements done), conditions and triggers I want to see, etc. etc.  Still a long way to go before this will ever be playable.

Re: Global Dominance

Eschelon
You are most welcome!

My approach for my own scenario stuff is to get the map working first, then get some base units running on it to get a feel for things, than add the extra stuff.  In your case, I see a lot of technologies and conditions to code, so I wouldn't sweat them until you've got the baseline working like you want it.  Plus, this will give you a better feel for how the code works later down the road.

I'm still a 'newbie' of sorts, and there are others here that have a much stronger grasp of the .xml than I do, but if I see anything I can help with code wise, I'll definitely chime in.

I'm finding that the AI seems to like to build mixes of units at least (navies aside), so that helps.  As for combat modifiers, I haven't worked with many of these yet, so I have no idea if Dynamix sees these or not when it does its calculations.

I have noticed that Dynamix doesn't defend well against blitzing, i.e. leave a cheap unit behind to block potential blitzing.  This is my main way of whittling down AI opponents - chip away at their PUs with cheaper, 'throwaway' units, so their industrial base dwindles.  But that's a thought problem for down the road when someone with the proper skills decides to pick up where Wisconsin left off.  Dynamix is by far the best Land AI, and I enjoy the situations it throws against me, blitzing weakness aside.  In the meantime, I suppose I could disable blitzing in my ancient scenarios to compensate, but WWII would not be the same without it...

Re: Global Dominance

Well for the time being I'm working to my strengths.  Speaking of which, here is the almost completed Italian chart.

I've re-designed almost all of the Italian units. I have always felt they have been weakly represented in all the games.

I gave the Italians a midget Sub as a special unit.  However they are handicapped by not being able to build; Advanced Fighters, Mechanized Infantry, Mechanized Artillery, Tank Destroyers and Heavy Tanks (H.T. is the same for all teams) until after the 4th round of the game.  These limitations are meant to reflect the slow development and limited production capabilities that the Italians suffered from at the outset (and throughout) of the war.

Re: Global Dominance

Rolf Larsson
Hey Hepster,

looks like a very cool map. I am curious about the map itself. The title for the most complex map will be going to this one I think. I haven´t read about all your ideas, but most of them are possible I think. You asked for help with the xml and any help I can provide there, I will do happily. For me it was comparing to other xmls most of the time and then try if it works. You can also email me the raw map or the link to download it if you want to. Glad to do some pay back here for your outstanding help on the units in TWW.
We now have custom dice!