So I've had my first attempt at creating a map, with no luck. Editing the XML seems beyond me.
This seems like a simple mod so maybe someone out there would like to take it on?
I just want to do a version of 1940 Global with six allies. This would come from removing UK Pacific from the game and giving it's territories, units and some or all of its objectives to ANZAC. Otherwise all the same. The capital would remain in Sydney while India would just be a regular minor factory for the side. So ANZAC would be the british colonial forces for the india and pacific theatres effectively.
The african and middle eastern territories would remain as UK British.
The idea is to make them a bit more of a powerful and dynamic land and sea based side, which would shake things up in the pacific. It would make a japanese invasion of Australia much more worthwhile, but would also give the ANZACs much greater ability to resist. A knockout move in india no longer works, so japan would have to work to contain the ANZACs instead.
Anyone keen to give it a go? I figures it's just some copy paste on the XML.
Try editing the xml. You can use Notepad. Make tiny edits first to get comfortable. You could actually do most of this using the edit mode of the game itself. Test the scenario after the edit. You can post here if you get an error.
That what I had tried, but I got piles of errors and the game wouldn't even load. I suppose I'll just have to keep going through iterations until I get it right. Maybe I was trying to do too much in one go, will try a single change at a time.
I have done a save game with edit mode to change ownership and units, however the goal is to get a 'clean' version without the UK Pacific side at all and to make the objectives work.
Yea, what Roger said is the way to go. If you're not aware of it, Pact of Steel 2 by Veqryn, has a pile of xml information.
I found you have to be very meticulous about the whole process. When you get a error, a lot of times it's just a minor typo or something left out. They can be hard to spot. I think there's xml editors out there that can find some errors easier than others.
Anyway, what I've found to work is having a backup folder, and then work directly in the downloaded maps folder in triplea. Do one change. Then test. If it passes, you copy it to your backup folder.
If you get stuck, post again. There's a lot of people that'll help