Game of the month 3

ZjelcoP
This post was updated on .
Welcome to this third TripleA Game of the Month!
Because of a late start this GOTM will finish end of Oktober.

This month as requested:

Map:
   World War II v5 1942 Second Edition

Mission:
   The Axis onslaught must be stopped!
   Russia however has it's own mind on how to fight this war and has severed all communication lines (=AI).
   Uk and USA will have to team up and come with a better plan!

Objective:
   Capture 10 Victory Cities
   In case of a tie the player with the highest Total Unit Value (TUV) wins.

Game options:
   Set these options:

For all info, rules, results and discussion:
    http://www.tripleawarclub.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2074&forum=36

Have fun!

Those who don’t mind a bit harder challenge can compete in the Experimental league!

Experimental League

AI:
   Both challenges are to be played with standard 1_8_0_9 AI

Special conditions:
   Axis have developed a new mining technology that the Russians have managed to steal!
   But sharing this technology? Noooooo...
   All AI-powers will receive a 10 flat income rate bonus!
   Axis recieve 10 bid.

Game options:

Good luck!

Re: Game of the month 3

crazy_german
Good choice for the challenge! Looking forward to this.

Re: Game of the month 3

I just realized you can only do bonus income to all AI even if they are on different teams. Feel like options for each individual player would be better. But I like how you phrased the mining tech and the Russian's stealing it!

Re: Game of the month 3

An observation, there is no tie breaker, and I can very easily see several people get the same time on this challenge.

Re: Game of the month 3

ZjelcoP
Indeed, thx for noticing! Went for TUV as Production would only encourage suicide-actions near the finishline.

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
Yeah I requested that feature for separate bonuses a while back, it would be very helpful I think for AI balancing. Especially in more complex games like G40 with larger teams. That way you could assign different bonuses or penalties on a per nation basis.

I don't think it needs to be tied to the AI. A flat or percentage based bonus for the Human player might also be helpful in some instances. The income bonus should be handled the same way as the bid (separate for each nation, available to either human or AI.) It would have many applications. I for one would prefer a smaller repeating income bonus to a larger bid, in many games like G40, when playing against other humans.

This challenge should be fun, the experimental league will surely present a challenge since Russia is totally unreliable, you have to be very careful where you stack your fighters. Moscow for example, as opposed to W. Russia (which the Soviets may abandon.) Given  Japan's preference for mass bomber buys, I can see crossing the ocean presenting some definite logistical challenges. Perhaps in the experimental game, better to let Moscow die early and then recover the income with the west?

I'll give this challenge a try later tonight

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
First attempt... fairly dismal haha. I adopted the "screw Russia!" strategy, with no support whatsoever to the Soviets. Instead concentrating on some sort of long term Africa production plan for UK. At first this seemed like it might pan out, since the Germans took their time driving, but by round 5 the lack of western fighter support had Moscow on the brink. After Moscow, it was a cascade of attack counter attack from the bitter UK, just trying to bleed the AI in Persia, of course to no avail hehehe. Amusingly our last best hope, to destroy the IJN on some kind of sneak sub strike, was undone in the end by German bombers can opening with the Yunnan fly over. The German breweries in China will likely last a thousand years now! Alas

America sues for peace in the 9th

First_attempt_fail_German_can-opener_stomp_Brit_round_9.tsvg

Well that was fun for a first time out, but clearly gotta send at least something to the Russians, even if Stalin refuses to cooperate. Otherwise they die too quickly to properly steal their land! ;)

Will give it another shot tomorrow, with a different, more sensible attack plan.
Axis AI is a wrecking machine with that income bonus!
I dig it

Re: Game of the month 3

@Black_Elk - Yeah, I remember you brought it up a while back as well. Its on my radar and this happen to remind me that it would definitely be nice to add.

I think keeping the Russians alive is a must considering they get the +10 income as well.

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
Here is another amusing defeat, notable for the massive German navy that the machine developed. I goaded them into a bit sure, with a crazy Canadian production expansion and a pretty deep destroyer race, but they took the seas like salty veterans before long hehe.

The USN sent the IJN to the bottom of the Pacific in fairly short order, only to see Germany step right in to fill the void! Japan went with their bomber spam, as usual, while Germany sacked Moscow and then built up their naval power. Brutal

Rule Germania! Germania rules the waves? Alas.
Well done TripleA, well done.

Will try again again tomorrow with another sneaky plan ;)

challenge_3,_epic_German_navy.tsvg

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
This post was updated on .
New game, finally managed to crack Tokyo after 14 rounds, but the German AI is going fully monster. This one isn't even close to over yet, but I had to pause for the night after such an uphill grind hehe.

The Axis machine is on point with this experimental bonus. The German fleet is already gigantic and HardAI ground forces are stacking deep from Cape Town to Vladivostok. They just seized the Dutch East Indies from the Americans with an amphibious assault! Germans sneakily snatching up the oil reserves immediately after the Japanese capital was taken!

hehe well done TripleAI :)

Game_of_the_Month_v5_round_15_US.tsvg

Re: Game of the month 3

ZjelcoP
Nice game Elk!
Good luck taking back that continent!

Gave it a try just before posting this GOTM. Utter failure, got tempted to go for Japan with US.
Doesn't feel to be the winning strategy....

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
Hehe not sure its possible in the experimental set under LL conditions if you go for Japan. I got owned by the German AI once again...

Loss_Game_of_the_Month_v5_round_19_US.tsvg

The narrow theater focus 'kill first' game feels hard to pull off, because of the Axis boost. Maybe a more split theater approach will work better

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
This post was updated on .
OK just played another total slog.

It took me 15 rounds to take Berlin with USA... But its debatable whether that will have any real impact, given how insane the Japanese have become! heheh. They are going full scale invasion USA! heheh

We snatched the German purse, but at a very heavy cost. Holding Berlin will not be possible. And the goal of a 10 VC win seems like a fantasy pipe dream at this point.

Anyhow, this is the most progress I've made so far vs the Machine under the experimental conditions. Basically just trying to hang on by the fingernails and hold out as long as I can. Nuts

Fall_of_Berlin_Elk_vs_AI_Axis_GOTM_3_round_15_US.tsvg

In this game I made a save for round 2 with UK, max carrier purchase. It seemed to have promise, but again the Kill first theater focus seems to fail regardless of which direction I chose.

Next time I'll try something more two directional I guess haha

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
This post was updated on .
Alright, this here might be the best my Allies have been able to open thus far.
UK went Indian tanks, saving the rest for 2nd round carrier purchase. sz37 hit + Borneo and New Guinea. Both amphibious assaults were successful. Japan sent almost their entire fleet to New Guinea.

This is the most balsy attack I could think of with USA, to try and screw Japan...
What do you think?

Elk_vs_AI_GOTM_1_US.tsvg

Hehe fingers crossed!

Re: Game of the month 3

I have had success splitting the USA about 80-20, with 80 going to Japan. I assure you that 10 VCs is possible! I think the key is hitting Japan's East Indies navy turn 01. Otherwise you will never be able to challenge the imperial fleet, and holding India is a nightmare.

You might be able to take Borneo turn 02, and starting turn 03 you can trade in Europe for income.

Re: Game of the month 3

GhostWriter
Black Elk: ...In this game I made a save for round 2 with UK, max carrier purchase...

do you pair your UK CV purchases with US fighters (land them on the same turn) tactic? i am not familiar with this map, but in the standard map i also move my one transport to the UK CV...

just curious, GhostWriter

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
This post was updated on .
Ok not too terrible. I played on for 5 rounds before grabbing the save. Here is the situation at the head of the round, after Russia/Germany AI. Debating my UK purchase. I'm thinking this is the point when I should probably just redirect from heavy Pacific to Heavy Europe with USA, since the Russians only have a few turns left before center collapse. But its always a dilemma. Whichever side is ignored, even for a single round, just seems to just go crazy with their builds hehe.

Last time I went Pacific to open I think I got too caught up destroying the IJN, but then Japan just spams bombers like nobody's business. So maybe its better to leave them with some naval ambitions for a spell haha? Such a grind. But this seems as good a position as any for the Allies after 5 rounds up.

Elk_vs_AI_GOTM_5_UK.tsvg

I guess I can see 10 VCs, but it seems damn hard to make one of those a capital haha. I guess it's a TKO type challenge? Like rush to take Philippines and Karelia, then sneakily grab Shanghai and Paris before the round is over?

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
This post was updated on .
 KGF... gunning for the 1-2 punch Allied Airblitz

Trying to decide what to purchase...???
10VC_UK_round_8.tsvg

Right then 9 inf 1 fighter

Re: Game of the month 3

Black Elk
This post was updated on .
OK so far so good. First the British uppercut at the head of the round sacrificing their Lancasters for the good of the empire. USA to finish the round with a series of jabs! pow pow pow pow! haha...

Elk_vs_AI_GOTM3_10VC_Win_USA_round_8.tsvg

I gotta admit it feels pretty damn sweet to take the 10 VCs and crush Berlin, after suffering like 3 pathetic trouncings in a row by the machine heheh.

It seemed the key to keeping Russia afloat here was to stack Caucasus rather than W. Russia, though even with this approach the Soviet AI nearly screwed us by withdrawing right at the critical moment and exposing the RAF to attack by G! Victory was achieved only by the narrowest of margins.

TKO for sure, since Germany is sure to fire back with a vengeance. Controlling 10 VCs at the end of the American turn seems doable, holding them for an entire round seems like a much different proposition. I will click through just to see what the Machine does.

Fun stuff!

ps. I just went one more turn into the 9th round and the German AI immediately recovered their Capital and Paris, and just sacked Moscow to boot! They seem all pissed and out for blood now hehe. I'm not sure how to best use the American cash. I doubt G will give me another shot on Berlin, maybe use the loot to smash Japan? I'm not sure there is any way to actually beat the AI under these experimental conditions, like beating them to the point of inevitable total victory. Just too much money for the Axis hehe.

Re: Game of the month 3

Total victory is possible! Here is game I played where Berlin fell. I securely held 10 VCs for a full round, and with Berlin in American hands I'd say it is an inevitable Allied win. With that said, after turn 12 or so I did allow myself to use edit mode in ways that players typically allow, so it isn't perfectly in line with GOTM rules (I also saved and reloaded whenever I felt done for the night, not on every 5th turn)

I might do a write up of this game if anyone is interested. I had a great time playing it (mostly). Mid-game when I was just tiptoeing around giant bomber squadrons wasn't that enjoyable. The key was to get the money islands with USA and put factories up. This way, you can get manpower onto the center continent. I also had many many battles that were material losses but tactical gains. I tried to avoid exploiting can-opening moves up until it gave me a shot at Berlin, which was just too sweet not to.

Whoops forgot to upload the savegame!
GOTM03TotalVictory.tsvg