Game of Thrones Maquis

Maquis
Hihu Guys,
Im taking over the Game of Thrones Map, since the original creator isnt here anymore and i think the Map has some potential.
I am working on a 4 Player Version, since you will never get 12 Players to Play it for an FFA.
I will choose all things just for Gameplay reasons, it obivous that my Alliances wont be possible in the books, but ist more important to have a playable map for me.
I guess in some days i have a playable Version and corrected some bugs.

But i got bug i cant correct, the territory Qohor keeps changing ist collor every turn. The owner stays the same even after the Color changes, i have no idea why. Can someone help me here? Its the same in the original Game of Thrones map so you dont Need my code for that.
I will post more News soon!
Maquis

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

Mike
This has been a fun map. The main problem seems to be whoever controls the eastern island has a huge advantage. 3 players on the western island and 1 player on the eastern island would greatly favor the easterners.

The way the map is set up, I don't see how a balanced game can be made.

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

aoun
Split the eastern map into more regions, and make the regions worth less. That way, it will take longer for one player to control the entire east. Some places can also have more neutral monsters, depending on how difficult you want to make it for the eastern player.
You can also introduce neutral enemy ships, that way eastern players will have a decided or semi-controlled course of landing on the western island.
Maybe add a unmovable structure. Stats at 0/4/0? It is a coastal defense against landings, so the western players can have some reassurance against the eastern player landing on their shores.
spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com : Red Night Saint fallen-nations.net : a.o.u.n. triple.sourceforge.net : aoun

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

Maquis
after some pc Problems i continued working on the map.
At first ist not really important for an ffa map to be 100% ballanced, if 1 Player is stronger the others will ally vs him. And i dont plan to put 3 Players on the Western Island and 1 on the eastern. All Players will have Nations on both Islands.
These are my planned alliances so far:
Lannister              Martell Freefolk
Baratheon Stark Dothraki
Arryn Greyjoy Targaryan
Tully Tyrell FreeCities

Just for gameplay reasons, they wont be possible in the books.
I also fixed the 2 Hit repair Problem and corrected some unit stats, still testing if they work. Guess the next stage is a playtest with humans, vs ai it works and it seems playable already.
Do you have other suggestions for the alliances?

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

wvessels
Thanks Maquis for taking over this map.

I agree that 12 people for a FFA is just about impossible to organize but my friends and we love this map with 4-7 "families" as AI. We haven't been able to pull it off yet (still new) but we would love it if it would be balanced as a 6 person FFA with each player controlling 2 families.

No I don't have a list yet of what I think would be balanced but as we play I will give what input I can. My recommendation is if you update the current one as it is to make the freefolk a little less strong. Whenever they and the Starks are AI the Starks get squashed every single time I have played (6).

Again thank you for restarting this map!

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

thsw
Hello

Just a comment...
GoT is quite a beautifull map and the game runs smoothly, but:
- 2hit cant heal; some units are not aktivated/buyable (allthough the name and unit are in the unitfolder)

The FreeCities can`t buy      Sellswords
The Grayjoys can`t buy       Ironraiders
The Starks can`t buy           Northmen
Tyrell can`t buy                   Warship

Regards

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

Qyrti
I have been skirting the fringes of TA for a while and been playing a heap of different maps 1 vs AI including this one which is one of my favourites because it is so Epic. It inspired me to buy the novels and read up on it, so check the box for TA providing free advertising to copyrighted works. Next I started fixing little bugs in the map code, like the Midlands Road connecting all over the place, then I tried adding extra stuff and it sort of snowballed. I guess what I would like to do is either make a mod for the big GoT map or help whoever has already worked on it to make it better. I see there isn't much activity on the forum about this particular map, which is all cool, I was mainly updating it for myself, but I decided I might share what I have done with the map once I feel it is ready. I noticed another smaller Game Of Thrones map is being worked on, which is cool, because not everyone wants an epic.

Thing is, I am only an average coder, and there are some bugs I can't nut out on my own. If someone was willing to look at my code I would appreciate it as I can't get objectives, triggers or tech to work. I have started to put in some of my diplomacy experiments (which work as intended), but have not completed it because I wanted to have a solid plan before I code the 300+ relationship changes that I feel would do justice to the complexity of the world created by George R. R. Martins. I want to allow players and the AI to go down alternate paths that the novels hinted at, but didn't transpire the way certain main characters expected, ie Lannister doesn't have to start the war vs Tully, or the Dothraki don't have to be neutral to the Free Cities. Stark doesn't have to ride to the aid of Tully, and Arryn might ally with Tully, but they still have the option of staying out of the war for a good part of the time-frame of the game. Also I wanted the AI to ally up and form teams, not sure how well my idea will work, but I think it would make a very interesting game if you didn't know who's team your AI (or Human) neighbours are going to choose.

I also added defensive units, but I am thinking of leaving them out as I have seriously unbalanced the map and made it even more epic. Although one idea I am thinking of trying is changing the unit movement for land units to 2 and ships to 4, in the same way as the author of the map Greyhawk has done. This would keep the game moving along a bit quicker and defensive units would help keep it balanced. I just need to tone down the number and strength of the defensive units I have been experimenting with. I found that the defensive units in the LotR map were not very cost effective in the long run as it is better to go out on an all out attack with that map than to sit and wait to defend, even if you are playing Gondor.

The zip file is my working folder, and the xml has only the code.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddguwpcdsdln68x/Game_of_Thrones_v2.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/s2u9qsb5vijon8c/Game_of_Thrones_v2.xml

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

thsw
Hi :-).
There are some nice nice models out there for the older ages, which suits the map quite nicely.
And then I have made some models myself as well:

The map really is deserving more detailed models than the generic filled forms - so I have made and use these (among others) myself. They look quite good on the game board, I think ;-).
Feel free to use if u like em!
Btw - looking forward to try your mod some time, too.

Regards Thsw

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

fuzzykitty
Some of the Dorthraki territories seem to be miss-linked.  In particular the pass cannot be reached by Lhazar and there is something funny with the territory to the left of the mountain range .  I also suggest, while maybe a departure from the books, giving every faction some sort of combat naval unit.  In the Dorthraki example it turns the game into a stalemate.

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

fuzzykitty
Allowing for new capitals would be plus too.  Lose all income for one round the a new headquarters is set up.  It would make for a much more interesting game

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

Qyrti
Thanks for those unit images, I have been giving the v2map a rest for the last month or so, but I may start working on it again soon. I have realised where I was going wrong with my technology, objectives, triggers and a whole lot of things I couldn't get to work before now. Maybe I will write about it sometime, but for the moment I am eating humble pie and working on a different map. What I am figuring out, I will probably put into GoT_v2 eventually.

Re: Game of Thrones Maquis

alkexr
I don't know if Qohor has already been corrected or not, but I guess I know what causes this behaviour, and also explains why Midlands Road is unexpectedly connected to some territories. If you have a look on the borders between Lhazar and Qohor and the one between Qohor and Midlands Road, you can notice that they are not complete, and thus not separating the territories. Therefore Polygon grabber grabbed the wrong polygons, which overlap, and when one territory changes owner, all the others get recolored as well. Then wrong polygons misled the auto connection finder (or something like that) causing unexpected connections. Finally, the "Midlands Road" name appears somwhere in the Dothraki sea, for the same reason. I didn't check if actually this is the problem, but seems very probable to me.

I was talking about the version downloadable from the map repository.
Have you played any of my maps? Share your opinion!
Large Middle Earth
Russian Civil War