Game does not start

Skuderian
My problem is that when I start TripleA really nothing happens. Same thing when I start it as adminstrator.

Windows 7 64
Java 8 31
TripleA 1.805

Re: Game does not start

Quorthon4
Any more info you can give?
Is this the first time you have installed TripleA on this machine or has it worked before? At what point doesn't it load (do you get no response at all? do you get like the loading icon then no more? or do you get to the triplea game menu, but the maps don't load?)

I have a similar system, I use
Windows 7 64
Java JDK 1.8.0_25
TripleA 1.805

It works fine for me now, but I had a similar problem as you are having before. For me it was a corrupt save game in c:\user\myusername\triplea\savedGames\ that prevented triplea from starting. I just deleted that and then everything was fine. I imagine a bad file in any of the folders in c:\user\myusername\triplea\ could cause a problem. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Re: Game does not start

skuderian
Hi!

I also deleted what you suggested, rebootet and now it works.

Re: Game does not start

rambo919
Same problem, worked fine a few months back, don't know if it's the java or triplea that got updated that's to blame but now it does not start. Tried renaming the maps folder, moving all of them except 1 someplace else and deleting all saves.

Linux Mint 17.2 x64
oracle java sdk7 & sdk8

Re: Game does not start

aaalafayette
Administrator
@rambo919 - we will need your help to solve the problem. I did not have trouble with Ubuntu 15.04, so some unix systems do work. Notes on how to help troubleshoot have been uploaded here for future reference: https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/wiki/TroubleShooting-Game-Freezes

For convenience, those same notes are below, would you mind helping provide answers to the questions below?

- Which download file are you using? I'd like to be sure we're looking at the same file/problem.

- Could you please clarify a bit the steps you are taking to see the freeze. I'd like to understand exactly when/where you are seeing the game freeze to help narrow down what the problem could be.

- Last, could you help provide a stack trace to give us some debug data that will tell us what the game is busy doing (or rather not doing). The stack trace can be uploaded to  "http://pastebin.com/" or any public file/text sharing site. Instructions to generate the stack trace are below:

  -- launch the game from a console window, running: ./triplea_unix.sh  | tee output.txt

  -- recreate the game freeze.

  -- In a second console, "kill -3" the process id of the running game. As a one line that would:
 ps -ef | grep java | grep GameRunner | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -3

Re: Game does not start

rambo919
It's not a freeze, it basically quits as soon as it starts, in gnome-system-monitor it flashes in and out of existence as a running process.

I got it directly from the repository.

./triplea_unix.sh  | tee output.txt
 does not work since there is only a triplea.sh in the /usr/games directory

./triplea.sh  | tee output.txt
 when I open the directory as root gives
/bash: ./triplea: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
The problem seems to be the .sh itself though, on a hunch I now started the triplea.jar in /usr/share/triplea/bin directly and it all worked fine. Including the .sh.

triplea.triplea

Re: Game does not start

aaalafayette
Administrator
The ^M is very suspicious. We had a version that got packaged with bad characters (namely the ^M). I would guess this is the problem. Please try grabbing the latest 1.8.0.7 again if you would

Re: Game does not start

Like above, try re-downloading the 1807.  We had some issues with linux and mac that are now fixed, and one of the issues was carriage returns in some files.

Secondly, is there any output when you run the .sh file from command line terminal?

Third, did you change your settings.ini file at all?  You may want to delete it if you have.

Re: Game does not start

rambo919
Grabbing a almost 300mb file again does not exactly sound like a solution, you overestimate my capability for free use of internet.

Might be able to do that tomorrow but is there not just something I can do to patch it myself?

And no that is the only output.

Re: Game does not start

aaalafayette
Administrator
A suggestion: dos2unix is a program that will strip dos end of line characters (converting to unix end of lines).

To get it, either:

sudo yum install dos2unix
or:
sudo apt-get install dos2unix -y

Then try this:
cd ..directory_with_triplea..
dos2unix *.sh

Then try running the game and let us know if you would pls.

Re: Game does not start

rambo919
Yes that worked thanks, first startup after was a bit slow but the second was fast.
Only I have to add that the "triplea" file is identified as a sh but does not have the extension... however that happened.