Quantcast

Forum Migration To Warclub

Hey all. We are looking to merge this forum into the warclub forum: http://www.tripleawarclub.org/modules/newbb/

We will look to keep separate sections for development and for map makers like we have here. The main drive for this is to reduce maintenance, consolidate the community, and remove final dependencies on Sourceforge.

The actual technical migration is being finalized and then tracked in github here: https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/1071

If you have any thoughts/concerns around this please either post here or in the github thread. We most likely will finalize this plan in the upcoming weeks.

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

prastle
  I think most want posted in warclub forum

But amalgamation of sites if user friendly welcome by all

Ty red

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

epinikion
hi all,

the warclub community lives and politely asks for being involved in all that matters to the future of the warclub!

so thank you for moving this discussion to the warclub.

cheers,

epinikion

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

captaincrunch
This post was updated on .
I'm just gonna guess and say so basically down the road ... maybe 2 or 3 months from now ... hopefully a post will be made that tells us this forum is shutting down and we will haveto register at the other forum ...

is that correct?

Or is this forum still gonna be active?

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

@prastle/epinikion - Agree. I've added a thread to discuss there as well: http://www.tripleawarclub.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2317

@captaincrunch - Correct. We are still discussing the migration and will communicate to both forums on plans once anything is finalized.

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

ubernaut
i have user at the other forum but i haven't really used it too much and it doesn't seem to be recognizing me either :/

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

Cernel
If anyone has WarClub usernames for which the login is not working, please use the:
LOST PASSWORD?
button of the WarClub homepage.
http://tripleawarclub.org/
If that doesn't work, please contact a WarClub Mod.

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

ubernaut
message sent :)

TY Redrum :)

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

prastle
So I opened up three new forums in warclub give it a try gents hopefully they work

Gl Hf
 Pras

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

aaalafayette
IMHO next steps are to get the categories correct in warclub. Maps & Mods was popular here, I'd like to see that category in warclub for one.

Once that is done, would be nice to make this post stand out more, perhaps renaming the title to all caps or something similar

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

aaalafayette
Administrator
The WarClub forum is missing a few things (email notification for  follow ups, image uploads, and no emoji's!)

I'm not seeing a lot of people jumping over to warclub. Hate to say, but perhaps we should reconsider merging the two forums. Instead focus on migrating everyone to a third one  (discussed in https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/1067)

side note: to be clear for everyone, this third one would be on a new tech stack, would be integrated into either warclub or the triplea-game.org sites, and ideally we'll mass export all forum data into that forum. User login, and some details are not yet clear, as we are still evaluating the different options for forum software. It's an ongoing process, input and assistance are both welcome. The issue linked above is probably the best place to talk about forum software, while here is a better place to talk about whether we really want to merge to warclub, or wait and go to new forum host just once.

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

crazy_german
I don't have a strong opinion on where to migrate to, but I think that we do need decent file sharing options in the forum.

Also, if war club is the destination I think there needs to be a development sub forum created soon. I was going to start a thread on earclub to encourage moving over, but I don't know where exactly I should put it

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

aaalafayette
Administrator
I was convinced to consolidate to warclub, but it does not look to be taking off, and the more I use the warclub forum software, the less happy I am with it... Missing file upload is a big item.

RE: development - github/issues is working very well for the development topics. We've gone through hundreds of topics already, a forum would have been overloaded and quickly a mess with that volume. Github issue is actually not a forum, it's task tracking software. Task tracking can be used in place of a forum, but a forum cannot be used in place of task tracking.

So the new forum, warclub and any future ones, IMO needs a well advertised post to move development topics to github. On the other hand, if any set of topics want to be discussed at length in a forum, and then the resulting tasks tracked in github isssues, that would work.  My only concern is that we are creating process where someone needs to be watching all the forums, ready to move tasks over. That person then becomes the go-between, and it creates a lot of work. It's simpler more direct to create issues there directly in github/issues and to watch them.

I'm really not sure what the best answer is on the path forward here.

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

ubernaut
can we not set up redirects once all the content has been migrated to whatever we decide on?

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

What I meant by development was map designers, not the engine programming. Like lets say I wanted to release a new map I made, or ask a question about a feature, there should be a sub forum for it, like how there is a maps and mods section currently. Could a post made in the incorrect subforum be easily moved by a moderator?

EDIT- I just realized that there is now a maps and mods sub forum, but its not easy to find. I think that a big flaw of the warclub is the order in which those threads are listed. It seems like if someone did start a map thread in that section, it would still be listed below ladder threads from several years ago

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

prastle
The order is easily changed in xoops.  A plan is needed to be drawn up of how you guys wish it to look.

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

aaalafayette
Administrator
Warclub forum (Xoops) does not have image upload and email notification. Really seems like that is hampering it. The goal is perhaps going to be to spin up a third new forum, and then have one migration to that.  For more discussion on this topic, please see: https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/1067

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

prastle
Actually yes it does.  But the user/player has to turn it on in their profile

Re: Forum Migration To Warclub

epinikion@t-online.de
Sorry today i posted a bug to the devs forum. I didn't wanted to create an account for a third webside (github) for this. we have too much sides. i still hope we will move it all in one.

thx anyway for all help.

epi