Fog of war, making all countries accessible, and terrain effect

Fog of war, making all countries accessible, and terrain effect

Zims
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to have a map with a form of fog of war.  That the player can only see their own territory and any allied territory.

Some territories are restricted in the 6player FFA map.  Is there a way to make the territories accessible?

Lastly,  can terrain effects be added to me map?  For example, some territories are mountainous and reduce all unit movement to 1 or reduce them movement slightly.

Thank you, if this was in the wrong forum I apologize.

Re: Fog of war, making all countries accessible, and terrain effect

BeornTheBold
I don't have any ideas about how to have fog of war, but terrain effects are easily done:
1. Make sure this line map.useTerritoryEffectMarkers=true is in your map.properties file
2. Make sure you have a folder named territoryEffects in your folder named for your game, that includes artwork for each territory type you are going to have.  The artwork must be named the same as the effect (e.g. arctic.png, desert.png, etc.)
3. In your NameofGame.XML file, make sure you have a section like this:
                <territoryEffectList>
                        <territoryEffect name="land_territory"/>
                        <territoryEffect name="mountain"/>
                        <territoryEffect name="jungle"/>
                        <territoryEffect name="desert"/>
                        <territoryEffect name="arctic"/>
                </territoryEffectList>
   It should come right after the relationshipTypes section and just before the gamePlay section.
4. For each territory you want to add an effect, make sure something like this appears in the territoryAttatchment definition for that territory: <option name="territoryEffect" value="land_territory"/>

As far as restricted territories, I presume you mean they are impassable.  To change that, remove the tags similar to this one: <option name="isImpassible" value="true"/> that appear in the territoryAttatchment definition for that territory.

(Yes, I know impassable is not spelled correctly there (impassible is a word but means to be incapable of feeling suffering or pain).  Neither is attachment.  You have to work with the misspellings, at least in version 1.8.0.9 (I don't know about 1.9))

Re: Fog of war, making all countries accessible, and terrain effect

BeornTheBold
As far as what effect the terrain has, you can reference this in other areas of the xml file.  For example:

<attatchment name="territoryEffectAttachment" attatchTo="mountain" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TerritoryEffectAttachment" type="territoryEffect">
                        <option name="combatDefenseEffect" value="militia" count="1"/>
                        <option name="combatOffenseEffect" value="armour" count="-1"/>
                        <option name="noBlitz" value="lt_armour:armour:hvy_armour:halftrack:lt_cavalry:cavalry:hvy_cavalry:mech_infantry:mobile_infantry"/>

                </attatchment>

These type of sections should be added in the same area where supportAttachments are added.