Feedback from new player

Attila
First, very nice game. I already spent more time with it than many other games.

I'd like to comment on a few things that should be easy to fix/add and imho they would enhance the game:

1. It is very difficult to differentiate the US marine from the regular infantry unit. Something better than a few black pixels is needed. Perhaps a different icon altogether. Not sure about other marines, but I assume they are differentiated from infantry the same way.

2. The unit icons in the Territory tab cannot be scrolled when mousing over a territory, as the mouse cannot be in two places at once. Perhaps the page up/down keys could be used to do this. When there are many units in an enemy territory (multiple nations), it is nearly impossible to tell how many of each unit is actually there, as the list is cut off after 6 units on a 1366x768 display.

I know that ctrl+b can be used over an enemy territory to see the exact number of units, but this is not very convenient, nor obvious when playing for the first time.

3. It would be nice to have an indication in the Territory unit list that some of the units have not yet moved. I find it very easy to forget to move transports, especially if they are in the same group that already moved the other way. Perhaps following the unit count (x2), there could be something like mN, where N is the number of units of that type that still have movement points. So "x2 m1" would mean that one unit of that type can still move. Maybe m0 could just be omitted for better clarity.

4. The AI simulates its moves before it makes them, so it knows it will move 50 units of infantry from one territory to another. It would be nice if the AI moved them all at once and not one at a time. Watching all AIs moving their units one at a time takes a lot of time.

That's it for now as I am not proficient enough with the rules to comment on the AI, but I plan to be. :)

Re: Feedback from new player

beelee
Hi Attila

These are what I use for US and Japanese marines. Open the maps folder in triplea and open the one you want. You'll find a units folder. Replace the marine unit with the new one. You'll have to rename the Japanese one. You can use any image you want obviously but I find these two to work quite well.

In the upper left hand corner of the game there is a help box. It tells some commands for checking movement and stuff.

I'm pretty sure you can adjust the AI move thing. Maybe ask under the AI feedback thread.

marines.zip

Re: Feedback from new player

Attila
Thanks for the art and the info.

Re: Feedback from new player

@Attila - You can change the setting 'Game' > 'AI Pause Duration' to 50ms which will speed things up considerably.

Re: Feedback from new player

Attila
Thanks, I noticed that the default delay was 400ms.

I don't mind seeing the movement of the different unit types, as that gives me an idea about what is going on. I just thought a group of 50 infantry could be moved in one shot instead of one at a time.

Re: Feedback from new player

Cernel
I think the default delay should be 200 ms, which is probably about the fastest level at which you can still clearly see what's going on.

If you try Medium AI, that moves stack together, but I think this way of moving is confusing, because you don't really get a clear idea of what was moved.

Anyway, I'd suggest 200 ms normally and 50 ms if you are playing maps with an otrageous amount of units (200+ units for each player; which means 10+ seconds to move all at 50 ms).

In general the AI tends to destroy much more TUV than good players do; so you really need to be playing crazy big maps to go at 200+ (while you would easily go over it, even for single stacks, in human vs human play, on about every not small maps).

Re: Feedback from new player

I will rarely ever play TripleA again unless the speed of AI gets back the option to use 0ms or close.  I simply wont wait for minutes for the AI to make its move because some community members think its the way TripleA should be played.

Re: Feedback from new player

@all - I've decided to change the Hard AI to move the same unit types along the same route at the same time. I think this in general is better than moving every unit separately. It also makes the move history easier to read and analyze. This is similar to the Medium AI though it actually moves all units along the same route at the same time. I think moving each unit type separately makes it easier to follow yet scales as the number of units increases.

Re: Feedback from new player

Cernel
The best would be that you get in history that A,B,C units have been moved from X to Y (whole stacks), but the AI actually visually move them 1 at time; but I guess this is not possible.

Since moving same units stacks doesn't allow you to watch clearly at what the AI is doing, while doing it, anyway, I would suggest for going to move entire stacks of all kind of units (like Moore), then, so to make history the easiest to read. Definitively, that 1 movement thing made history messy, sadly.

So, if the single movement is gone, just better to go for moving entire stacks, so to make history the cleanest and redable, since the nice visual effect of unit distribution while moving is lost, this way, anyway.

At any rate, I still think that mapmakers should keep the total number of units at reasonable levels, cause I still can't see why having hundreds of units per territory, when you can balance things differently, to have tens of them, instead. So, a map that ends up having an enormous quatity of units hasn't been well devised.

Anyway, I don't play with AI (sometimes I like watching the AI playing with itself). So, whatever, just my feelings.

But, yeah, now the history looks better. Maybe better go ahead and just move entire stacks, like Moore, and have it looking best, at this point.
History plays dice