Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

we kind of already have a cannon picture.... the artillery
i guess if you want to try your hand at a new howitzer thats cool...

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
"Howitzers"-- what do you think?

I was also going to suggest, we could also align all the unit icons to be facing different ways for the different alliances.

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

yes definitely, france, spain, and uk could face to the right, and everyone else face to the left
or should we do it based on the alliances, instead of the direction they are travelling?

current arty piece.

current mortar

ok, so what the heck should we do with the Mortars artwork then?  i don't want to waste such a nice unit art
maybe make Mortars into a supporting 4/1/1/6 or 4/2/1/7 unit?
we might risk having too many unit choices in the game...

as for naming,
we have a 1/1/1/3 unit that supports, and a 2/2/1/5 unit that supports
Howitzer
Artillery
Cannon
Field Gun
Batteries
Field Howitzer
Field Artillery
Light Artillery

according to what i know, the cannon type had a longer barrel than the howitzer type, with the howitzer being used more for siege due to its higher arc....

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

OnanTheBrBr
NWO faced the same question. I went with having the oriented Alliance wise, even though that wasnt perfect in all situations. But it helps beginners to grab the big picture faster, and happy beginners are vital for a map.

Just my 2 Cents
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

caponier with sharpening

coponier

blockhouse

entrenchment

fortress

i am thinking of using the the first caponier, with the sharpening, except we will have to call it either Martello Tower or Mortella Tower, because a Caponier is a sunken building that fires into a tench line, not a tower.

I am also thinking of adding a gun or something on top of the tower...

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Hey, I like the sharpened version too, much better than my mellow original. I guess Martello Tower is more historically accurate, but they are specifically a British phenomenon. Perhaps we could go with something more universal, such as just "Tower" or "Guard Tower"?

As for the Mortar/Howitzer, I do not like adding a new unit, because i think 2 artillery-type units is enough. I think we just have to choose 1 of the 2 graphics to be the Mortar/Howitzer, OR, use them both, for example one for each allied side.

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

i tried and failed... my gun on the top of the tower sucked.

any way you could put a single cannon on the top of this?  not colorful, and at the same perspective angle as the tower is?  maybe a couple cannon balls and a barrel too?

i think i'm going to go with Mortella Tower.  It is the original name, and even if the british built more of them, it still doesn't sound british.  Plus, being a 0/1/0/2 unit, they are perfectly suited to absorb shore bombardments anyway.... which is historical.

For the mortars, how about an 8 cost unit, 5/1/1/8 that gives support?
i think i'm leaning towards 4/2/1/7 unit that supports...

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

cat2 says that Provence should become Marseille, and that it should be 2 production, instead of 1 (paris lowered to compensate)
also, he wants a special unit for france, 2 units actually, but only 1 can be produced:
Marshal of France: a 4/3/2/9 unit,
and Napoleon: a 5/4/2/10 unit that you can not build, but starts in the barque at egypt....

what do you think?
i guess we can modify the hussar to be these guys?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
I am indifferent to the Provence-Marseille name change. Provence is the name of the region, and Marseille is the name of a city in that region, so either one is accurate. Not sure what the purpose of the Napoleon unit is, because it would be bizzare/ahistorical if Napoleon died, and besides it would be difficult to get Egypt and then later get Napoleon back to Europe. Essentially the Napoleon unit will be stuck in Egypt the whole time. I like the idea of having a special French egypt unit, if the idea is to strengthen Egypt's neutral defense so that Ottomans/UK will have more difficult time taking it if the French did not take it. For that purpose I like the idea of the special powerful French unit but perhaps we could call it "Armee d' Orient," which in reality was actually left behind in Egypt.

As for the "super land unit" Marshal of France, I don't know whether players have an incentive to buy another expensive cavalry unit. I guess we could try it out. I did have a similar idea before, which is to give France a special land unit that is 2-hit and repairable, in order to represent French military dominance on land. Don't know whether this will disturb the balance. What is your opinion on these 2 units?

EDIT: Further question--I wonder whether the entrechment/Martello Towers are overpriced. 0/1/0/2 sounds like a bad deal to me. For an additional 1 PU you could purchase a Fusilier which is 1/2/1/3.
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

they ARE overpriced if you can afford a fusilier
but they are great for countering shore bombardments
if something is going to die, to a shore bombard, then you want it to be as cheap as possible and its stats do not matter
and fortress is over priced as well, But again, it has its use.  if you have a limited amount of space, and want the best defense you can get NOW, then you are going to buy it

static defenses should be pricier than their moveable counterparts, in order to encourage more flexible gameplay and not turtling.  they will still be bought tho, for the reasons above

if we make any units have 2 hit points, they can't be repaired, not just because the game does not allow separate repair rules (bb's don't repair, therefore nothing can), but also because i dislike the concept of free repairing.
We can still make things two hit points tho, except with land units that means we will have _hit units running around the whole map all the time.

yes, i suppose napoleon could get stuck in egypt...
perhaps just having Marshal of France, and not extra special unit on top of that?
i do think people will buy it, just not many of it
if you have a general close to your forward army, and wish to make an attack in 2 turns, you will buy a mortar (assuming the new unit's stats of 4/2/1/7 supporting), and if you wish to make an attack next turn, you will buy a marshal of france (french only unit, 4/3/2/9 supportable).  (OR how about 4/2/3/9 ?  i really like that...)

what do you think?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

2.9.1 and 3.0 have been released

reason for double release?  because 3.0 breaks backwards compatibility, so I want people to still be able to play the game with their friends until 3.0 settles down.  I'll remove 2.9.1 after some weeks go by and if everyone likes 3.0 better.

pulicat: I changed the tower graphic again.  I loaded up the game and found that the "perfect" cylinder shape stuck out like a sore thumb.  I made it slightly fuzzier on the bottom and used a bulge effect on the bottom to disrupt the perfectly straight lines.  hope you like it:

Pulicat again: For the time being i've done some edits and created the IV Marshal of France unit using the old Lancer unit graphics.  However, knowing how good you are with graphics, would you be able to make it better, or start over and make a better version?  Right now it looks way too similar (same horse, same body) to the Lancer (now dragoon) unit.  Would be much appreciated.

changes:
Version 2.9.1 - 3.0 changes:
Changed names: Crete - Candia, Tras os Montes - Oporto, Urals - Tsaritsyn, Budapest - Zala, Flankers - Chasseurs, Lancers - Cuirassiers, Entrenchment - Mortella_Tower, Mortars - Howitzer
Dragoons and Cuirassiers graphics switched around
New Graphic: Mortella_Tower (replacing the old Entrenchment)(thx pulicat)
New Graphic: Howitzer (replacing the old Mortars)(thx pulicat)
Game name and folder changed from 'Empires' to 'Napoleonic Empires'
Unit Changed: Mortars is now a 5/1/1/7 unit that supports
New Unit: Howitzer, 1/1/1/3 unit that supports (taking over the old Mortars stats)
New Unit: Marshal_of_France, a 4/3/3/9 unit that can be supported, and has blitz
SZ86 Grenadiers changed to Marshal_of_France

Version 2.9 - 2.9.1 changes:
Added a connection between SZ67 and SZ70
Added a connection and canal between SZ70 and SZ71
Added an Mortella_Tower to Candia, changed Candia Flanker to Fusilier.
Removed 1 Fusilier from Essex and removed 1 Fusilier from Sussex.
Added an Mortella_Tower to Constantinople.
Moved 1 Fusilier back from Kiev to Severia, changed 2 Moscow Flanker into Fusilier.
Changed 1 Zala Flanker into a Fusilier.
Changed 4 French Howitzer into Horse_Artillery.
SZ29 1 Brigantine changed to Cutter
SZ30 Corvette moved to SZ24
Provence upped to 2 production and Paris lowered to 11 to compensate, and French starting PUs lowered by 1 to 46.

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

if you guys want any further name changes or new units, you need to let me know very very shortly (like before 3.1 comes out), because name changes and new units break compatibility (old versions can not play against new versions, and new versions can not play against old version), and I want Napoleonic Empires to settle down and start attracting more gameplay than re-downloading's

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Well, here's my "Marshal of France" graphic based on Marshal Ney:

Marshal Ney without the Roman Numeral:

And then I thought, what the hell, I might as well make a Wellington:

And a von Bl├╝cher:

And a Marshal Kutusov:

And an Archduke Charles:

No idea what the other leaders could be used for, but at least Marshal Ney won't be lonely.

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

absolutely freaking beautiful
i had no idea you were this good at art
how exactly did you create them?
marshal was going to be a french only unit... but i can not resist making it available for all now... (tho probably with differing stats)
just wow!

edit:
a picture sampling of our game's units:

the look great,
but there is a little bit of "white fuzz" around our new marshals
I'm going to see if there are any after-effects i can use to eliminate the white fuzzy lining.
I'll repost if i am successful

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

i can not find any after effects for eliminating the white fuz.

did you make these units out of bigger graphics then shrink them?
if so, can you post the bigger graphic?
i could probably take the bigger graphic, eliminate some of the white around the edges, then shrink it again for a less fuzz version....

edit:

i used the magic wand at around 80 to remove most of the edges,
this also got rid of the shadow underneath, so i added a drop shadow instead (which matches the other units anyway)

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

3.1 is up
you should go download it to see the new art
it includes the new art work by pulicat, though i did a good number of modifications to them

exact changes:
Version 3.0 - 3.1 changes:
New Unit: Marshal, a 4/3/2/9 unit that is supportable and has blitz, similar to Marshal of France, but available to all non-france powers.
New Graphics: Marshal of France based on Michel Ney, United Kingdom Marshal based on Arthur Wellesley the Duke of Wellington, Prussian Marshal based on Gebhard Leberecht von Blucher, Austrian Marshal based on Archduke Charles, Russian Marshal based on Mikhail Kutuzov (thx Pulicat for these, i did a number of after effects on them tho).
Fixed baseTiles to reflect new units.
Battleships increased in cost by 1, to 20.
Sweden and Prussia starting pu increased by 1 each, so that they may still do an opening purchase of 1 bb and 1 cutter.
Returned the Fortresses to Majorica and Candia.
Returned 1 Fusilier to Sussex.
Removed 3 Fusilier and 1 Marine from Navarre, that I had placed their earlier.
The 2 Chasseurs removed from Lisbon earlier have been re-added to Algarve.
Paris has 1 less production, Auvergne has 1 more.
Cheshire has 1 more production, Northumberland has 1 less.

2.9 was slightly weight towards the Coalition, 3.0 was weighted towards the Carolingians, and I suspect that noone will be able to tell which way 3.1 is weighted until we have all played a LOT more games.

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

OnanTheBrBr
Just my compliments on the new unit art: awesome!
And the balancing process looks excellent.
Looking forward to trying the map once I finished my last 2 NWO's.

Cheers,
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Cal2
Hey Veqryn,

Sent you an xml (I also sorted the territories by first letter, so I go less nuts finding 'em while playing with values.)

It is a scenario for 1805 Ulm-Austerlitz campaign.

It takes some liberties with units but then leaves the base scenario in place, as it is really close to working as is.

If it makes some sense, maybe some die hards can test some ideas here that the existing map makes available?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Where is the scenario. It doesn't seem to be in your repository.

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Roger, did you check the "eb" repository?
the "veqryn" repository is just a backup at this point, and i have not updated it in a long time

http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/home/mods/TripleA_Quality_Mods_EB.xml

"Napoleonic_Empires" is in the list, under "quality maps" which is the 3rd catagory, like 1/3 of the way down the list.