Quantcast

Empires - Napoleonic Wars

empires

The original game and map was created by LSSAH.  Since he has disappeared, I've converted it up to the current engine.
I have adopted the map, and it is currently on version 3.9.2, and has been balanced quite nicely.

The map now comes with TripleA, so just download TripleA to play: http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/

Suggestions are welcome,
though the game is very close to being balanced as it is right now, so I won't be making any radical changes.

Game Notes:

The empires of europe are at war.

The upstart French republic has followed in the footsteps of their American compatriots across the sea
and cast off the trappings of monarchy.
Can this new light in europe survive against a host of squabbling adversaries?
Or will it fall victim to its own aspirations for empire...
Will the russians be forced to sing La Marseillaise?
Will the English see the Guillotine raised in Piccadilly?
Or will the rule of the monarchs be insured by the restoration of Louis XVIII to the Parisian throne?

CANALS:
Oresund (Holstein,Sjaelland)(SZ10,SZ11)
Kerch Straight (Crimea,Astrakahn)(SZ97,SZ101)
Strait of Messina (Sicily,Calabria)(SZ70,SZ71)
Neva River (Karelia,Ingria)(SZ2,SZ3)(Russia can build navy in the lake)
Bosphorus (Constantinople,Kiutayeh)(SZ84,SZ92)(connects Turkey, Balkans by land)

UNITS and RULES:
Battleships DO NOT REPAIR at end of turn.
The number of Bombardments allowed is restricted to the number of units making an amphibious assault, however bombardments still kill units without the unit getting to return fire.
Extra Units are available starting on round 2. Un-check the game option 'Use Triggers' to turn off these units permanently.
Encampments are permanent, and can be captured.
Generals can move and raise troops in the territory they occupy, IF you owned that territory at the beginning of your turn.
Generals, Encampments, and Capitals are Factories, meaning they follow all normal factory rules.  They can be purchased and placed anywhere you owned at beginning of turn, they can produce anywhere you owned at beginning of turn, and they can be captured
Barques (green transports) are not able to capture convoy zones.
Capturing a Convoy Zone denies the enemy their income, but does not provide you with any income, and can only be done during your Combat Move.

Victory Conditions:
11 vc = Projections of Power
12 vc = Honorable Surrender
13 vc = Total Victory (default)

Actual Alliances in this game:
UnitedKingdom ............. Coalition
KingdomOfPrussia ........ Coalition
Russia ......................... Coalition
AustrianEmpire ............. Coalition

France ......................... Carolingians
Spain ........................... Carolingians
OttomanEmpire ............ Carolingians
Sweden ....................... Carolingians

Historical Alliances:
Nation................................ Allies
1.United Kingdom............... AUS PRU RUS OTT
2.France............................ SPN SWD
3.Kingdom of Prussia.......... RUS SWD AUS UK
4.Ottoman Empire............... UK AUS SPN
5.Russia............................. PRU AUS UK
6.Sweden........................... FRA SPN PRU
7.Spain.............................. OTT FRA SWD
8.Austrian Empire............... UK OTT PRU RUS

Unit List:
attack/defense/movement/cost .... special
1/2/1/4 Fusiliers . Supportable
1/3/1/5 Chasseurs . Supportable
3/2/1/6 Grenadiers . Supportable
2/2/1/6 Marines . Amphibious Assault +1 Attack, TransportCost: 1
1/1/1/4 Howitzer . Gives Support (+1 attack)
2/1/1/5 Artillery . Gives Support (+1 attack)
1/1/2/5 Horse Artillery . Blitz, Gives Support (+1 attack)
1/1/2/4 Hussars . Blitz
2/2/2/6 Dragoons . Blitz, Supportable
3/2/2/7 Cuirassiers . Blitz, Supportable
0/1/2/8 Barque . Transport Capacity: 3
1/1/2/6 Cutter . Gives Support (+1 attack)
1/2/2/8 Brigantine . Supportable, TCapacity: 1
2/1/2/9 Corvette . First Strike, Can Retreat (Is Sub), TCapacity: 1
3/2/2/12 Frigate . Supportable, Bombard, TC: 1
4/4/2/21 Battleship . 2 Hit Points (doesn't repair), Supportable, Bombard, TC: 1
0/0/0/11 Encampment . Can Produce Units, Can be Captured
0/0/1/15 General . Can Produce Units on Territory you owned at beginning of turn, Can be Captured, Can be Transported, TCost=3

Special/Extra Units:
0/2/0/3 Mortella Tower
0/4/0/6 Fortress
5/0/1/7 Mortars . Gives Support (+1 attack)
4/3/2/9 Marshal . Blitz, Supportable
4/3/3/9 Ney/Wellington/Blucher/Charles/Kutusov . Blitz, Supportable

Infantry-type units have TransportCost=2, while Cavalry-type units have TCost=3
Marines have TCost=1 (can fit on any boat), Marshals and Artillery have TCost=2
Corvettes are treated as submarines.  Corvettes can retreat separately from the main force during offense, and can retreat when on the defense to any adjacent friendly/empty sea zone.
Fortresses and Towers are normal units, and as such they must be placed with a factory of some kind (a general, encampment, or capital)

STRATEGY HELP and OPENING MOVES

On Units:
Barques are the Green-Bottom boats, and they are the Transports of this game.
Fusiliers and Howitzers are the most efficient units to buy.  If bought in pairs, they are essentially 3att/3def/1mov/8cost with 2 hit points (Hitpoints matter alot!).
Cutters and Brigantines/Corvettes are the most efficient naval units to buy.  If bought in pairs, they are essentially 3att/3def/2mov/14cost with 2 hit points, (or 4/2/2/15 if cutter + corvette, assuming you have ships for the cutter to support).

As France:
You have many options and no required opening moves.
Obviously you should take Flanders, Cologne, and Provence.
Option 1) Go Heavy into Germany and NorthWestern Europe
Option 2) Go Heavy into Italy
Option 3) Atlantic Fleet builds
Option 4) Med Fleet builds
Option 5) Take Egypt and Optionally build an encampment or general down there.
Option 6) Send the Egypt fleet back towards Italy (or up to black sea)
Generally speaking you can probably do 2-3 out of those 6, as trying to do more would spread you too thin.

As England:
You have the most options and no required opening moves.
Try to kill the remains of the english channel french fleet.
You can use the frigate near ireland for shore bombardments into ireland (with the marine), and even help with the northumberland marine too.
Your Majorica fleet can kill the spanish fleet if the french did not support it, and otherwise you can take corsica, sardinia, valencia, or tunisia with the marines there, or you can head for the french convoy zone and steal it.
Your other med fleet can go towards the french med fleet, or try to link up with the majorica fleet, or head to Candia (crete).  You can also build an encampment in either Candia or Majorica, though Candia can usually last longer, and can be used to pressure the ottomons.
England should try to have more fleet than the spanish at all times.
It is generally a good idea to help the Prussians push Sweden out of Jutland.  After that, you can turn your attention to northern france, northwestern europe, or invade norway and sweden.
Get the Swedish and French convoy zones near England as soon as you can.

As Spain:
Take Oporto.
Position Units and choose your build in order to take Lisbon on the second turn, and maybe Andalusia (Gibraltar) on the third turn.
Your general can head for Valencia and build fleet, or La Mancha and build units this turn.
Usually not a good idea to threaten England in the Atlantic the first two turns, though you can and should threaten them later.
You also need to send some guys into North Africa, and can do so on the first turn depending, but at least by the third turn.  Your goal should be to eventually be getting +10 pu's a turn out of africa.
Option 1) Attempt to rid the Med of the UK
Option 2) Begin a Naval building war against the UK in the atlantic
Option 3) Build all land, sending to either northern france or italy.

As Prussia:
Take Mecklenburg.
You can choose to attack Moldovia if you want.
Generally speaking your goal should be to push Sweden out of Holstein, while keeping the French OR Swedish in check.
Option 1) Go 100% navy.  Assuming Jutland and Finland fall by the end of turn 3, you can win against Sweden's Navy on turn 6, even if Sweden goes 100% navy also.
Option 2) Go a little navy to start, to hold on to your convoy zone for a few turns, then switch to 100% land.
Option 3) Go 100% land.  You will have to garrison Prussia and your north.  Can pay off quickly if France can be stopped from advancing.

As Sweden:
Consolidate your fleet in SZ9 and move General to Ostra Gotaland.
You should attack St. Petersburg with everything that can make it in Finland and Karelia.  You should retreat to Karelia after 1 round.  You should not win in St. Petersburg.
You can build 1 Battleship and 1 Cutter first turn.
If Prussia builds 100% navy, your choices are 1) to keep up and build 100% navy also, hoping french can pressure prussia, or 2) send your fleet to sz11 or build extremely defensive fleet, or just save your money for multiple turns
If Prussia does not go navy, you should still build navy first turn, but after that you can build a barque or two and begin reinforcing jutland, finland, and invading all the coastal areas around you.  Perhaps even drop off a general somewhere to build on the mainland.

As Austria:
Do not forget to move your troops in Hollande (and each turn after that until they get where you want them to go).
Take Bavaria and Venetia.
You can also take 1 Ottomon territory this turn most likely.
Build cheap units as fodder.
Sit back and build, perpare for french assault eventually.  Play check with French forces.
You can also swing into Italy when the time is right and the French are not prepared to prevent you taking Rome.
Pressuring Ottomons can be done but is risky, as if you get too far away from Vienna the French might decided to take it from you.

As The Ottomons:
Retreat northern forces closer to Constantinople.
Move Brigantine in SZ93 closer to Russian Convoy, take russian convoy on turn 2 with brig.
You use your marines against an enemy in moldovia, or you can move them to use turn 2 or 3 in the med against the neutrals.
If you pick up your general with the barque and drop him off in Sinop, you can build a cavalry there and use it against Armenia.
You can attack Edessa first turn, but if you lose any guys taking Armenia turn 2 gets more painful.  Might be worth waiting and moving all troops closer to Armenia turn 1 without attacking.
Overall, your goal is take significant money out of the middle east, while holding off Russian hordes, Austrian adventuring, and the occasional UK amphibious assault.
Survive long enough while taking neutrals and you become a threat who can push back, but at the beginning you mostly just try to survive.
If Austria does not send much against you, or Sweden forces Russia to head north, you can go on an early offensive, but don't get in over your head.
You can also send all your navy to the med and challenge the UK for supremecy there.

As Russia:
Your job is to push Sweden out of Finland, and Push the Ottomons out of Armenia, while threatening and holding down any Ottomons near Constantinople that way they do not pressure Austria.  You can also send a few spare troops to defend Prussia and Austrian capitols.
Pretty simple, you want to send at least 20 units north.... then send everything else south.
If Prussia is not going navy, you will need to send a unit north every turn just to build up a defense up there in case sweden attacks.
Otherwise, send everything you build south every turn.
You can also send a general south and build Navy.  After you take the two neutrals there, your navy can exit the harbor and take back your convoy zone.  The navy builds often force the Ottomons to keep up in navy, which is not something they can easily do.
Mordvins does touch sz101, so you can build navy with a general there.
SZ2 touches SZ3, and a general in Novgorod can build a fleet in sz2 that Sweden can not touch until you are prepared to exit the lake and attack Sweden's fleet. It is difficult to for Russia to defeat Sweden alone, and it is much better to have UK or Prussia attack Sweden at the same time.

Optional Rules:
Optional Rule: Turn on 'Units Can Be Destroyed Instead Of Captured' to have the following effect: Captured Generals are executed, Encampments burned to the ground, and Capitals razed (if a player loses their capital, then regains it, they must build a camp or general there in order to produce there).
Optional Canal: Andalusia (Gibralter) must be controlled to move between SZ53-54
Optional Andalusia (Gibraltar) rules: Gibraltar does not touch any land, therefor no units can enter it by land, and no units may exit it onto land.  Must be invaded by ship.

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

OnanTheBrBr
Map looks awesome. No doubt absolutely top in terms of graphics, from units to relief tiles to unit documentation.
Map mechanics also seem very nice and well though of. Well designed units - although a few seem a bit to similar to each other for my taste (artillery and grenadier, riders).

Seems with all the long coastline, trading is mainly done by means of bombard, and not (pseudo-)air. A skirmisher cavalry unit could be made "air", but you pointed out that this would call for a rule to disallow "seahorses" attacking ships.

Careful with "fully balanced". Took NWO an estimated 300 games to get close to that. ;)

Map surely deserves to be moved up a category though. Just let me know when u want that.

Excellent find and adaption.

Cheers,
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Just want to throw it out there that I love this game.
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
As a more substantive comment, though, I do believe some unit names should be changed for historical interest purposes. Specifically, "Flankers" seemed to me a substitute name rather than a real unit. The heavy cavalry should be changed to "Cuirassiers," which is iconic of the French Revolutionary era, and the unit art for dragoons and Cuirassiers should probably be switched.
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Ok, so here is my list of "cosmetic" changes:

Change territory name "Budapest" to Zala
Change unit name "Flanker" to "Riflemen"
Change unit name "Lancer" to "Cuirassier"
Change territory name "Crete" to "Candia" (more historically accurate)
Change territory name "Urals" to "Tsaritsyn" (more geographically accurate)
Change territory name "Tras Os Montes" to "Oporto" (more meaningful)

regards,
Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

ubernaut
nice one!

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

version 2.9 is out, updated the links.
we've come a long way from 2.0, and this map is getting very fun, and more balanced by the day.
each nation has multiple viable strategies, and each is fun to play in its own way.

go check it out

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Prussia
I once tried make this map like "Deplomacy" game (FFA) with Britain, France, Germany, Austria, Turkey, Italy and Russia as playable nations. I haven't touched that xml for years and it is still under very old engine code. If anyone is interested in working on that mod I can post it.

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
I have a 2.9.1 with my proposed name changes (as well as changes on that basetiles).

Included in the files is an unused unit graphic "blockhouse" which I was thinking could possibly replace "entrenchment," but I dunno.

http://pulicat.webuda.com/pulicat/files/empires.zip
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

can you repost the zip with your changes?  i've downloaded it 3 times now and each time it won't open / says there is an error.

also, do you think you could just package the actual files that have changed, and not the files that you haven't changed?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Hi Veq,

Same link, rehosted. I have deleted from the zip everything I have not changed. Note I have only kept the baseTiles I have changed.
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

just wanted to confirm the changes:

Changed names: Crete - Candia, Tras Os Montes - Oporto, Urals - Tsaritsyn, Zala - Budapest, Flankers - Chasseurs, Lancer - Cuirassiers
Dragoons and Cuirassiers graphics switched around
New Graphic: Blockhouse

if i make these changes, all previous versions of Empires will not work with the new version of empires... and it will also not be backwards compatible...

so are there any other possible changes we should make?  I'd like to get all name changes out of the way, and only change the names once, for the reason above.

also...
what is a better, perhaps french sounding, name for a blockhouse?
and is it possible to get a masonry blockhouse instead of a wooden one?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Hi Veq, I confirm all these name changes.

As for the blockhouse, I could certainly make a masonry-colored blockhouse. Alternative names could be Blockhaus (French translation) or Caponier (derived from French, meaning a fortified ditch or entrenchment)

Cheers,
Pulicat

EDIT: another change I had made was the II and the III on the dragoon and lancer graphics were switched
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

sweet,
the current wooden blockhouse looks a little too much like a cottage right now,
so i am excited to see a masonry blockhouse (and perhaps a little more foreboding and imposing too, you can make it bigger if you need more room for details, etc.)
i will replace entrenchment with the new design

also, I'm going to change the map name from empires to Napoleonic Empires, both in the zip name and the game name, (since we are breaking compatibility anyway), so everyone will have to delete their old zip...

and the only balance changes I have in the works are:
+1 entrenchment/blockhouse/xxx to crete/candia
-1 flanker from wessex (british island)

any other balance changes to make for 3.0?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

OnanTheBrBr
New name is much more crispy and appealing.
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Cal2
Respecting names,

Feel the name Mortar is wrong for the time period. Typically the mortar was a large, semi-mobile siege weapon, and not a field piece. Better name maybe would be Light Artillery. Even Howitzer might be better, although these where mixed into the field gun batteries.

I like the rest of the name ideas, and the map name change must catch a few eyes?

Cheers for 3.0

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

mortars are usually semi-mobile siege weapons,
but there are small portable versions too
and the current picture is of a small portable version
a howitzer is actually the picture currently called artilllery...

edit:
i found pictures of small mortars online from that era,
but none of them had wheels...
so i guess the picture is wrong...

does anyone want to make a new picture for a 1/1/1/3 supporting artilllery type unit?
if so... i will have to delay 3.0 since it would require a name change...
and it would also mean the current piece of art, which looks great, would go unused.

i am fine with keeping mortars in the game as is...

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Veq,

Here is my masonry blockhouse/Caponier. I am calling it Caponier because it is French-sounding and keeping with the theme.

Caponier.png

As for the mortars, I really like the current mortars graphic. However I do agree that mortar is an inaccurate term and I support the suggestion to change "mortar" to "howitzer."

How have the changes in the Baltic (new Russian fleet) played out in games so far?

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

prussia can go 100% navy and defeat (actually destroy) the swedish navy (sweden going 100% navy also) by the 5th turn at 55% chance or 6th turn 95% chance,
this is assuming that sweden loses finland turn 3, and jutland turn 3 also

so, it does exactly what i wanted the change to do...
prussia can still go navy, but its more of a risk, plus she can defend still (easier in fact, since its now 2 brigs and a frig, instead of a brig, barque, and a frig)...

also, the picture is of a guy with a foot cannon... i would not call that a howitzer...

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Can Prussia afford to no build any land?

The cannon in the mortar picture has to be small in order to fit the guy in. Another way we could do it is make another cannon picture (without a guy) and call it "howitzer" to replace the mortar. Do you prefer to keep the mortar, or make another picture?

Pulicat
how now brown cow?