Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

humbabba
Download:

http://tinyurl.com/empire-humbabba

My first map. It's an adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game, pitting rival caesars against one another for control of the Mediterranean around the time of the Late Empire. It's a fun strategy game, with little regard for historical accuracy or realism.  Six caesars vie for control, starting each with a small army in one of the provinces of the empire.  The game has two primary quirks which may take TripleA players some getting used to:

1. Collection of PUs and purchase and placement of units all takes place after combat movement, battle, and non-combat movement. So you can immediately spend new income and make purchase decisions based on the outcome of your turn.

2. Combat units are useless unless accompanied by a leader. Without a leader, combats units attack and defend at zero and are removed after combat movement.

Happy for any feedback.

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

humbabba
Version 2.0 is ready to go:

http://tinyurl.com/empire-humbabba

With many improvements:

*Generals can be captured for ransom, execution, or prisoner exchange
*Inflation system in place to double, then triple unit costs as players get richer
*Optional politics system allows one-, two-, or three-turn truces between players
*Indefensible cities can be razed
*Updated relief map

Feedback welcome!

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

Rolf Larsson
Very nice, simple, fast, but some cool features. Consider it uploaded. I have to make an FFA section probably...
We now have custom dice!

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

humbabba
Thanks, Rolf. Yeah, an FFA section could be a good addition.

This game doesn't suck too badly with two players if you turn off politics and set four sides to "Does Nothing AI." Or have players take over multiple sides, like arrange it in two "triumvirates": Italia, Galatia, and Numidia vs. Hispania, Macedonia, and Egyptus. Or you could divide it east-west or whatever.

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

Rolf Larsson
uploaded
We now have custom dice!

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

PTTG
I've run into a serious problem; any non-general unit may only be moved once. All my initial troops can be moved to adjacent territories, but cannot leave these territories at all. If I build a city, then a new unit, then I can move that new unit, and I can even move it with a general. But I can't move any units

What's going on here?

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

humbabba
Possible version conflict? The game's designed for 1.8.0.1 - I think that problem may have existed in earlier versions because there's no noncombat move. A attribute in the move delegate to allow the units to immediately reset fixed this but was only allowable on a later version of TripleA.

That's a guess on my part - I've played several times on v1.8.0.1 and it works as advertised. Can you ground truth that?

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

bcnkor
This post was updated on .
HI humbabba: Congratulations good conversion of the original game board game for triplea.
I have the version with the empire triplea v1.8.0.3 final versions, and your last mod v2.0, but misses the movement general with legion units or catapult units. You can fix this problem with v1.8.0.3 triplea. Thanks for everything

Also you can only move 4 units in total with a single general (I can only move 2 legions and two of cavalry, even allowing for the region to move more units, cavalry legions and catapults), just leave me that option 2 legions and two of cavalry only. For example do not let me move one general one legion a one catapult, failure is very rare that.

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

humbabba
Hi,

Thanks much for the heads up. Seems a missed a vital change in the update to TripleA. Game file now updated for Empire v2.1:

tinyurl.com/empire-humbabba

Please let me know how it works for you. If you want to play by email or online, let me know!

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

bcnkor
great v2.1 Thanks

Re: Empire, a TripleA adaptation of a classic Roman Empire game

grant1977
Hello That latest update fixed the None moving Units, but AAA doesn't auto update to the latest 2.1 version only the v2.0 which is bugged now. I suggest fixing it.

I also rally ask you look into FeudalJapan2 which uses Generals to move units and the AI uses them great! A perfected Single player would be nice, since anyone can play the boardgame, the fun part is playing Solo Conquest of the Empire!

Also can you add colored Versions of Cavalry, Infantry and Catapults like the newer version? Maybe an addon?

Thanks, your version is the only one out there to play so......