ELEMENTAL FORCES version 1.0 final release

ELEMENTAL FORCES version 1.0 final release

(311 MB) Elemental Forces version 1.0 DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.4shared.com/zip/zGDvujXz/Elemental_Forces.html

*** IMPORTANT -  Zipfile must be unzipped  in order to run properly.  ***

ALTERNATE DOWNLOAD thru Mediafire
(78mb) game without sound:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/230edlaijy051pf/Elemental_Forces.zip
(241mb) sound folder: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y7gj9t6afna4ijm/sounds.zip

ELEMENTAL FORCES - KEY FEATURES:
o  Original map design with 140 unique units, 4elements, 7 unit classes, 6 abilities, and 5 terrain types.
o  D10 based dice rolling system
o  124 land territories, 22 PU producing regions. (placement limit = 1 per territory)
o  Each territory sponsors one unique unit.  Owning a territory gives a 10% chance of having that territories unit available to place anywhere.
o  On-Map instructions and tables.
o  30 song custom soundtrack   MusicSample.mp3

Re: New Game Concept

for the magic, you could use technology that then enables the conditions for user-actions, using the new user action delegate you could "cast" the spells or w/e

Re: New Game Concept

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: New Game Concept

RogerCooper
If every unit is special, than nothing is special. Why not have a few regular units types purchased with IPC's, and then each province producing 1 special unit. The AI can handle that sort of thing better and it would be an easier project.

Re: New Game Concept

There are only 7 unit types, with fixed stats.  They are modified by one element and one ability.  This creates enough combinations so that none repeat.  This is why each of the 140 fighting units will have a unique name and picture.  I'll make sure it is easy to identify them without having to look through notes.  Everything needed will be on the map.

I've got the base map cut, centers, polygons, and placement finished.  Now is the daunting task of coding the start-up xml to the point where the game will fire up.  (This part annoys me because its a heck of a lot of code with no way to test fire it for errors).

Thanks for the suggestion.  The game will have no naval units or purchasing.  Had to scrap the random assignment of elements, due to the fact that elements, as infrastructure units, are unable to give attack bonuses to units entering a territory... since the infrastructure unit is always "owned" by the defenders.

Re: New Game Concept

hepster
Ambitious project (as always with you) =)

Looks interesting.  I look forward to seeing what comes together for this.

The elemental effects for the territories is an interesting one.

Have you considered making the elements a Terrain effect instead of making them as an infrastructure unit?  This would then allow you to have them affect both attacking and defending units.  So you could have your normal terrain effects (ie. hills, wasteland etc.) and then include the additional 4 elemental "terrains".

Then you could also do fixed elemental infrastructure units for any feature that a terrain effect would not cover.

Just a thought.

Re: New Game Concept

ubernaut
neat idea interested to see it.

Re: New Game Concept

HuskerMike
I don't know about the rest, but I like the idea of unique units for territories. This was typical of ancient warfare.

If you were the conquerer of the Baleric Islands, you had a unit of Baleric slingers in your army.

etc.

This could be done like Total World War does - have a separate factory type for each unit type. Factories would be capturable and not buildable.

Middle Earth has a huge variety of units.

Now imagine a map with each province only able to build 1 type of unit.
Go Big Red!

Re: New Game Concept

@ Hepster: I think you are spot on.
@ Mike: I'm going for visually appealing stategy with this one... realism will be secondary.

Re: New Game Concept

Re: New Game Concept

ubernaut
love wesnoth

Re: New Game Concept

Rolf Larsson
Units from wesnoth seem to fit perfectly here.

Finally we are going to see a hopefully good fantasy map.
Fantastic Forces sounds not very good, just my opinion. Maybe Fantasy War(s), War of the elements, Elements at war...
Random dealt territories would really raise the motivation to play more often.
I hope this one doesn´t get too overloaded, nothing against a higher learning curve, but cataclysm was way too much imo.
Random turn order shouldn´t be a problem for you, just add more phases and trigger movement to zero on the movement phases that should be skipped and add a frontier with a unit no one can afford on purchase/placement phases, if those do exist somehow.
I use some kind of experience, by just triggering some upgrades in my warlords project, maybe useful here too, downside is that ai doesn´t use it and you have to set purchases to be lost if not all placed, to keep it clean.
Maybe just try a map for humans, as it is always more interesting and for single player, there are many other good games with better ais.
Just some thoughts.
We now have custom dice!

Demo game download available

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Demo game download available

RogerCooper
The link downloads an .exe file. Has the site been hijacked?

Re: Demo game download available

The problem is that Sendspace sucks and has numerous advertisements that look like the download link.
The download link looks like this:

Here is a MediaFire download:  http://www.mediafire.com/?tvklpa1zbop5wwy

4shared and Dropbox are highly recommeded.  I might try one of those, since Mediafire switched to ads.

Re: ELEMENTAL FORCES version 0.7.0 available

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ELEMENTAL FORCES version 0.7.0 available

RogerCooper
Why do you post your files on a site that tries to trick people into downloading other files?

In a message dated 10/4/2013 12:35:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [hidden email] writes:
New 355 MB version 0.7.0 DOWNLOAD LINK:  http://www.4shared.com/zip/s6BGV51G/Elemental_Forces__1_.html

*** IMPORTANT -  Zipfile must be unzipped and placed into the main TripleA maps directory in order to run properly.  ***

NEW:
o subtracted one defense from Magic units when on forests
o Healers are now -1 to attack
o Fixed the Beastmaster unit pic
o added custom placement sound effects
o Reworked onscreen decorations to final versions
o renamed a unit name from .pnG to .png

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/ELEMENTAL-FORCES-version-0-6-0-available-tp7583688p7584173.html
To unsubscribe from ELEMENTAL FORCES version 0.6.0 available, click here.
NAML

Re: ELEMENTAL FORCES version 0.7.0 available

Zim Xero
I just moved to that site because it was highly recommended and the old spots MediaFire and sendspace just turned real bad recently... you cant even determine which is the download link on those.  On 4shared, all you have to do is select the non-premium member download button.... it seemed easy to me.  If you know of another free site that is better let me know.  Until then ill leave it on 4shared.  I am willing to a small flat yearly fee for a site but I absolutely refuse to use credit cards or monthly payments over the internet.  Once this game is complete (should be about another month) I'll get it uploaded to the main maps repository.

ELEMENTAL FORCES version 0.8.0 pre-release

Final Pre-Release 353 MB version 0.8.0 DOWNLOAD LINK:  http://www.4shared.com/zip/Hq-ztG6j/Elemental_Forces.html

*** IMPORTANT -  Zipfile must be unzipped in order to run properly.  ***

 ======== version 0.8 changelog =========
o Shyde was receiving -2 from its element instead of +1. Fixed.
o Magic units are now -1 att/def on plains. (was -1 defense on plains)
o Added 2 round combat limit. (round limit can be edited in game options)
o Removed uneccessary game rule uptions.
o Splash screen added to game.
o Production Arrow graphic redone.
o Excess files removed from folder.
o Dragon Roar sound effect added for Flyer placements.
o Changed cursor and included 9 alternate cursors to choose from.
o Game notes updated.

This is the final pre-release.  If no errors or issues are found, this version will be revved up to version 1.0 and uploaded to the TripleA download repository.

*** Things not incorporated into the game:
1) random terrain assignments were not possible.  The engine is not fully coded to support this feature.
2) It was not possible to use technology tree to show region ownership.  Reason: technologies can be added but not removed.  When unavailable technologies are triggered to be removed it throws a game error, making a resettable tracking system impossible.
3) I did not make a tab showing elemental production levels of factions, since it need to scroll through 128 lines (4 elements x 4 levels x 8 factions), making it visually not very useful.
4) The only way to know what units you are producing on a turn, currently, is to either have 10 PUs or compare the production queue with your territories owned.  This should have been more visual.
5) If MP3's were allowed instead of just .wav files, the file size would be about 150mb.
6) If the TripleA engine accessed sound from jar files (zips), error messages would not fire when playing zipped games with customized sounds.  This is unfortunate.

Elemental Forces has no naval units and makes for decent AI challenge.  Once the game gets too easy, I recommend giving the AI +1 defense.  Hope you enjoy the game.  Altogether, it was worth making, and fills a new directional niche for TripleA.

Re: ELEMENTAL FORCES version 0.8.0 pre-release

ice
oh wow this looks nice, why isnt it in the map and mod section?

but keep up the good work, nice province names :)