Dragon War – Open Beta

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

@Frostion - The AI will only place regular land/air units that is given to it (like China WW2v3). Factory and naval units that aren't purchased won't be placed. The AI won't purchase any unit that consumes other units (upgrades).

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Frostion
@all
Just worked a bit on the map and it is now updated to version 0.9.4.
Read the changelog in the original post for more info, and test out the map if you dare.
Thanks to Panguitch’ Greyhawk Wars I found out how to make “I am human” options. This is now in my map.
I have a hard time pulling myself together to start the painstaking process of adjusting the pictures of all the territory names and PUs. But, I guess there is no way back now.

@redrum
Yes, I have experienced that trigger given factories and naval units are not placed by the AI. In my map’s case a water dragon and the villages.
BTW redrum, do you play Navy Field II? I saw an enemy ship named Redrum!

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

panguitch
redrum wrote
@Frostion - The AI will only place regular land/air units that is given to it (like China WW2v3). Factory and naval units that aren't purchased won't be placed. The AI won't purchase any unit that consumes other units (upgrades).
In Greyhawk the AI rarely if ever purchases the mobile factories. But when it gets them via events or other triggers it does place them. Not always immediately, but consistently. But perhaps it does just because of their support attachments.

The same with AA, the AI doesn't often (if ever) purchase, but will place if given via trigger (except the giants, which are AA and have normal combat value also--the AI buys those).

I'm not sure I've seen the AI ever purchase fortifications, and it rarely gets them via triggers, but I don't think I've ever seen it place them either.

But I most certainly have seen the AI place ships that it's received via triggers.

@Frostion
I'm glad the "I am human" technique will help you do what you want to do. I only wish there was a way to automate it.

Greyhawk Wars
TripleA in the original Dungeons & Dragons world

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Epervier
Hi!

Your map looks fantastic! Great work! Howerver, i have an error at the beginning of turn 3 (when i have to buy units for the first time). Played Elves, last stable version of triple A, last version of your map, hard ai  and again with medium ai.
Am I the only one to experience this?

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

@Epervier
Yes, there was a problem with the map, or rather with the names of a couple of pictures.
Thanks for telling me, and sorry for the trouble.
You can download the new version 2 of the 0.9.4 zip file now.

Or you can do a manual fix by renaming four files in the Dragon_War.zip. In the resources directory:
Metal_Large.png
PUs_Large.png
Food_Large.png
Wood_Large.png

Should all be renamed to use a small L in Large: Like this:

Metal_large.png
PUs_large.png
Food_large.png
Wood_large.png

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Epervier
Many thanks, Frostion

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Epervier

i managed to play a few turns then:

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.5
INFO: Found too many files for: Dragon_War  found: [C:\Users\CORTEX\triplea\maps\Dragon_War, C:\Users\CORTEX\triplea\maps\Dragon_War.zip]
INFO: Found too many files for: Dragon_War  found: [C:\Users\CORTEX\triplea\maps\Dragon_War, C:\Users\CORTEX\triplea\maps\Dragon_War.zip]
INFO: Found too many files for: Dragon_War  found: [C:\Users\CORTEX\triplea\maps\Dragon_War, C:\Users\CORTEX\triplea\maps\Dragon_War.zip]
INFO: Found too many files for: Dragon_War  found: [C:\Users\CORTEX\triplea\maps\Dragon_War, C:\Users\CORTEX\triplea\maps\Dragon_War.zip]
Exception in thread "Triplea start thread" java.lang.IllegalStateException
        at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.remove(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.util.ProPurchaseUtils.removePurchaseOptionsByCostAndProductionAndLimits(ProPurchaseUtils.java:178)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProPurchaseAI.purchaseDefenders(ProPurchaseAI.java:534)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProPurchaseAI.purchase(ProPurchaseAI.java:227)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProAI.purchase(ProAI.java:256)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.AbstractAI.start(AbstractAI.java:445)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.waitForPlayerToFinishStep(ServerGame.java:665)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.runStep(ServerGame.java:541)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startGame(ServerGame.java:333)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.launchInNewThread(LocalLauncher.java:100)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.AbstractLauncher$1.run(AbstractLauncher.java:57)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Epervier
Happened when the pirates were playing their 5th turn

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

@Epervier - You need to download the latest pre-release if you are gonna play it against the 'Hard AI': http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/AI-Development-Discussion-tp7585227.html

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Epervier
Ok thanks! works good now ^^

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Frostion
I should have done this a while ago, but now I have added a recommendation in the original post about downloading the latest Hard AI. It seems like the released version of the Hard AI has some issues with my map. As I have written before, I will not try to release this map before the next stable release of TripleA. I wonder when this will happen now that Hasbro has bought TripleA

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

@All
Finally I have had the time to work on the Dragon War map again. I have had a lot of school work and little spare time. But now version 0.9.5 is done! There are still some map issues to be dealt with, but completion is approaching!

These are the newest changes:
• Raised the price of Spearmen back to 9 PUs again. (Too many was purchased by the AI)
• Lowered the total amount of PUs on the map.
• Villages can now only produce 1 unit, Towns 2 units and Cities 3 units. This motivates more settlement buying and placing.
• I finished adjusting the PU and territory name picture placements … YAY! (It took like 1.000 hours!!!)
• Removed the feature where human players would identify themselves as human so that AI players could get a resource advantage. I did not like the feature. I would rather that the AI handle shopping the same way as humans.
• Changed/fixed a few other minor things in xml and map notes. (Including connections)

EDITED! New version 0.9.6 is out.

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Just uploaded version 0.9.6 of Dragon War. It is just a few minor changes. Look at the original post for the details.

Map status:
I think that I am starting to run out of stuff to improve on this map. However, there are a few buggy things that would prevent me from releasing the map at the moment:

First of all, the map works poorly with the released 1.8.0.5 version of the Hard AI. A lot of critical crashes occur. But it works with the latest Hard AI development versions. So the map cannot be released before a new TripleA version is release.

Secondly. The map makes use of PUs and three "other resources". The resources are needed to buy units. The "other resources" can be found on the map but also bought in the purchase phase. Actually, players will collect more PUs than resources and will therefore want to buy resources. A problem here is that the AI does not, at the moment, support AI shopping and handling of "other resources".

I think I will halt “development” on this map for a while. I will keep an eye on the AI development, but I think it will be some time before the AI and my map are adequately compatible. I have already begun re-working my older Star Wars Galactic War and Tatooine maps, and I will probably also spend some time updating on my Caribbean Trade War map.

Bugs:
Here is a list of other things that bothers the Dragon War map atm. I will cheer and dance if they were fixed some day:

The AI cannot handle buying and placing upgrades on units. (Village -> Town -> City)

The AI cannot handle the AirTransport / isAirTransportable features. (Dragon riding)

A known TripleA ”sea infrastructure units can’t be captured after it has been attacked” bug affects my map and it’s “Young Water Dragon” unit. But it seems that somebody is looking to fix it: http://sourceforge.net/p/triplea/patches/105/

Multi-move units (on my map Generals, Wizards and Priestesses), that are isAirTransportable can somehow blitz through the “no blitz” territory effect. The bug is discussed here: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/isAirTransportable-canBlitz-td7587868.html
http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/TripleA-1-6-1-4-Stable-has-been-released-td7582324i20.html#a7583107

An all Easy AI vs Easy AI match plays this map through from start to end without any java errors in the console what so ever.
But, the hard AI makes some errors. Even thoug they do not crash the game or pop up, they can be seen in the console. Here is a v0.9.6 savegame (10 rounds) and corresponding console report. Maybe it can be used for AI fault finding?:
096DragonWarSave.tsvg
096DragonWarSave.txt

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

prastle
Direct link here.  BUMP looks cool frostion

https://github.com/triplea-maps?page=1&utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=dragon

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

lordbevan
Can someone explain how dragons work?
If they are young and UN-accompanied, can they be captured?

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Young Dragons belong to the primitive races. A young  dragon is on its own  defenseless and kan be taken without a fight. If it is accompanied with like Ogres or murlocs, then it will fight until they are dead, then you capture it. Once a dragon is in the hands of a primary player, then it is adult and no longer captureable.
At least it is supposed to work like that.

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Eric Feldmann
when and where do the dragons show up???

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

Frostion
The dragons show up ingame in round 1, 2 and 3.

You should play 1.2.1. This version is downloadable thought the “Download Maps” option in TripleA.

Do you not see the dragons show up? There should be popup notifications also.  They can’t be bought, but you must capture them from nature. Also, They are not super wepons, and players might lose them in battles. So you can win even thought you don’t get any dragons.

Re: Dragon War – Open Beta

hepster
Had some time to play this for the first time.  Superb work... very interesting and fun.

Dragon War

Frostion
Hopefully you have the newest version downloaded from TripleA maps download. And thx  I think it is one of the better and most entertaining maps I have made. I like to think that it is a whole universe in it self, with its own history and peoples. I don't know about the balance, but it seems pretty balanced when I have played it.
123