Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Cernel
Surtur2 wrote
What would be your preferred rename for Volgograd?
If you mean the circle called as such, Saratov.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Zim Xero
Today is a very special day for your map in America.  IT is the 100th year anniversary of when we entered the war.  In my home state of North Dakota, 30 thousand residents were drafted or involved.  Only 95% of them came back alive.  One thing interesting about WWI is that there were more casualties from the flu virus than from combat.

  Good luck with your map.  AFAIK, there has not been a successful WW1 game map made yet.  They are all plagued either with balance issues, complexity, or non-historical representation.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

lordbevan
This post was updated on .
after the Russian revolution, all the various russian dependence states began to declare independence. France can support a Czech revolution at no cost but the troops spawn in Valadivostok, 13 troops and 10 trains with 3 troops unable to move. Bug?

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2
For clarification purposes, was this the sequence of events?  (You can check in the game history)
1. The Czechoslovak Legion spawns 10 inf + 10 trains at the beginning of (Germany's) turn
2. France can pay 3x 3PUs (total 9PUs) on France's turn to place 3 additional infantry

If this is correct, then the 3 inf placed on France's turn will not be able to move until the next turn.

Otherwise, let me know the sequence of events and I will try to reproduce it.

BTW, good catch with the Dominion (Canada/S. Africa/India/ANZAC) harbours and their impact on naval placement.  Will fix those in the next release.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

lordbevan
I am curious what will happen if USA did not withdraw from Veracurz? Given that USA has nothing to do for the first few turns, its in the USA interest to attack Mexico. (even though Mexico will eventually join the Allies)

About China, the KMT is supposed to be the one to unify China. Right now, it stand no chance against Beiyang. BTW, after the death of Yuan Shikai, Beiyang split into 2 factions.

Bolsheviks uprising is put down quite easily. They need more uprisings at different places.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2
If the USA does not withdraw from Veracruz, nothing will happen immediately.  However, if the Conventionists are victorious everywhere else, they cannot join the Allies until/unless the US withdraws.  On the other hand, if the Constitutionalists are victorious, they can immediately declare war on the US if it is still occupying Veracruz, and while the US and Mexico are at war, the US cannot declare war on Germany.

Yes, KMT did unify China, but not until the Northern Expedition, which wasn't until like 1926.  After the death of Yuan Shikai, the Beiyang split into more than two factions, if my understanding is correct.  I actually had the various warlord cliques as different powers in an early implementation, but it was way too complicated without significantly adding to gameplay.  There may be additional balancing that needs to be done.  However, historically, there ended up being a truce between the North and South, allowing the Beiyang the opportunity to join WW1 and the Russian Civil War.  In the game, basically if the war starts going against the KMT, they can truce out and prevent the Beiyang from being more powerful when they finally enter the war.  That being said, if it's never really close and KMT always loses, then perhaps their power needs to be adjusted upwards.

Hmm... will look into boosting the Bolsheviks initially...

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2
More comments on Veracruz.  The US cannot declare war on the Central Powers while involved in Mexico in any way.  Obviously this includes war, but also includes the occupation of Veracruz and/or the occupation of Chihuahua if the US opts to launch the punitive expedition.

From a gameplay perspective, withdrawing from Veracruz immediately gives the Conventionist forces in Morelos the opportunity to gain a southern factory, and could tip the scales to the side of the Conventionists.  Continuing the occupation denies the factory (and income) to both sides.

On another note, regarding the income changes discussed earlier, I tried out various things (cutting income, introducing upkeep/inflation), but in the end I decided to go with doubling unit costs.  I still have to fix the Danish Straits, and hopefully I can get to that tonight.  Once that's done I will push the new release.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

hepster
Surtur2 wrote
On another note, regarding the income changes discussed earlier, I tried out various things (cutting income, introducing upkeep/inflation), but in the end I decided to go with doubling unit costs.  I still have to fix the Danish Straits, and hopefully I can get to that tonight.  Once that's done I will push the new release.
If you don't mind me asking... what issues did you run into trying to reduce income that drove you to decide to go with doubling unit costs?  Just curious.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2
The main issue had to do with the income of powers like Russia and China.  Most of the territories in China, for instance, are already at 1.  I could theoretically start zero'ing out territories in order to preserve the relative incomes for all the powers, but it didn't really feel right to go below 1 for a lot of those.  While it's easy to cut income for France and Germany, since they have lots of territories with juicy incomes, for countries like Russia, I would end up having to zero out territories in order to preserve the balance.  In my mind, it was better to easier to double unit costs rather than have to make some tough choices.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2

1.3.2 is now live.

Changelog 1.3.2
Production changes
Double unit costs (Suggestion from Cernel)
Increase foreign aid to 5
Double costs of most actions
Double technology cost to 10
Map changes
Rename Volgograd to Saratov (Suggestion from Cernel)
Diplomacy changes
October Revolution spawns an additional 10 infantry in Moscow and 5 infantry in Saratov (Suggestion from lordbevan)
Bugfixes
Add a cost to Czechoslovak Legion aid action
Harbours and airfields are no longer given to Austria by Hungary
Harbours and airfields are no longer given to UK by Dominions (lordbevan)
Change ownership of harbour in Nova Scotia to Canada (lordbevan)
Change ownership of harbour in Cape Town to South Africa
Change ownership of harbour in Calcutta to India
Change ownership of harbours in New Zealand, Queensland to ANZAC (lordbevan)
Fix Danish Straits/Oresund

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Cernel
Ehm... When doubling all units costs, you should double the Bombing Raid damages, as well... Tho, this has the limit of dealing with damages caps (currently max 6 to factory3 only), if any of those impact over maxing out 1 single bombing unit. I guess allowing for 6 times the damage should be fine (max cap at 18 damages for factory3), if the intercept / escort thing is well balanced.

But, for realism and gameplay, since (correctly) there are no AA guns at start, I would keep the zeppelin (I really dislike the name) doing 1d6 and upping the bomber to 2d6; but, then, you need to consider what to do with the caps as well, because 2d6 is going to be mostly wasted if you can bomb max for 6 and only in factory3...

How the air defence is supposed to work? Why can the fighter escort and intercept, while having 0 airAtt/Def power? At start game there are, correctly, no AA guns, thus all the defence of the factories should rely on air battles, with intercepting fighters. Keep in mind that, with a good air defence from fighters etc., you should anyway lower the zeppelin and bomber costs, from current value, because 14 cost each 1d6 damage and AA shot at 1 is a level that makes bombing raiding almost totally pointless already with no interception at all. You should probably have something equal or under cost 12 per each 1d6 damage, if the interception is fairly effective; likely something like cost 9 to 12 per each 1d6 damage, AA shots at 1 and intercept at 2 and escort at 1. Also, consider using the v5 approach to AA shots; that was one of the very few betterments of v5 over v3/4.

Also, maybe downgrade some factories, to make more sense with the double costs and trains, but I think we are close; for example, maybe just a factory1 in Burgundy, instead of that factory3? Also, did you check where the French used to build their battleships etc.?

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2
I know you hate tech, but various techs increase the air attack/defense from 0.  I didn't want to create a new unit, as interception ability isn't something that can be changed via property without creating a new unit.  But to start off with, no dogfighting...  At least, that was the idea.  Zeppelins are the only thing that have any air attack/defense to start with.  Otherwise there was little incentive to invest in air tech, as land/naval techs seem so much more powerful on the surface.

I'll take the 2d6 bombers and increased factory damage caps under advisement.

Remind me again, what were the v5 AA rules?

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Cernel
AA guns can't shoot to infinite, but are capped (to 3 in the v5 game). Rest the same, for anti-air.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Be very careful to relate tech to anything related to Bombing Raid; I realise you have to, for 1914, but keep in mind that this can really add some bad dynamics to the game. Consider that Heavy Bomber is traditionally what screwed up the tech the most, or at least had the biggest complaints, in all basic games, with v2 and v3 alike receiving either tournament rules or errata to change the behaviour.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2
Regarding French prewar dreadnought construction, I gleaned this from Wikipedia (format=shipyard, launch date, vessel name):

Courbet class
Brest 1911 Courbet
Brest 1911 Jean Bart
La Seyne-sur-Mer 1912 Paris
Saint-Nazaire 1912 France

Bretagne class
Brest 1913 Bretagne
Lorient 1913 Provence
Saint-Nazaire 1913 Lorraine

Brest and Lorient are in Brittany
La Seyne is by Marseilles
Saint-Nazaire is in the Loire region; not sure whether to lump that into Brittany or Aquitaine...

Minimum would need to bump up Brittany to factory3

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

hepster
The map is no longer in the download list.

Where can one get the latest version?

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2
I can still download it under EXPERIMENTAL.  If you already have a version and the new version isn't showing up, one thing you *could* try is going to the triplea/downloadMaps folder and deleting the existing version, and re-downloading fresh?  I dunno...

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

hepster
Yah that's probably why.  Thanks

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Did the trick.

Overall the changes you made have really changed the game.  Factory limits are a good addition and make sense.

Doubling the purchase price of units really changes the way you look at and experience the game... will take a lot of getting used to in order to get a feel for how to play.  Really different from a game that was a spamfest to what is now really sparse production.  Also has a major impact on all the smaller nations since most cannot even buy a single unit.

The other thing is there are a lot of things going on around this map...  could really use some in game notifications to let people know what the situation is for many nations on their turn.  A great number of players are not going to know what is going on.

Last immediate thing is about the naval mines... is it intentional that there is no visual unit for them?  Seems really odd to have unit counts in SZ without any corresponding unit images.

Overall this is really shaping up to be an intense WWI scenario.

Re: Domination 1914: Weltpolitik

Surtur2
Yes, the lack of a primer has been a complaint I have received.

Do you envision a sort of text rundown pop-up notification on the start of each player's first turn? Something like this for Germany:

The Fatherland marches to war in support of its ally Austria-Hungary, honoring its friendship and treaty obligations both.  Now, the Fatherland faces threats on two fronts.  In the East, the Russian Empire threatens ancient German lands in Prussia.  In the West, the revanchist Third French Republic seeks to avenge its defeat in the Franco-Prussian War.  Belgium refused the reasonable request to peaceably transit their territories, forcing an invasion and occupation.  The British used this as pretext to enter the conflict, threatening a confrontation between the Kriegsmarine and the vaunted Royal Navy.

The bulk of the High Seas Fleet is stationed in the North sea, but it also has squadrons all around the globe:  The Western and Eastern Mediterranean, the Indian Ocean, the China Sea, the Pacific Ocean, South America, and the Caribbean.

Around the world, German colonies are threatened.  Togoland, Kamerun, German Southwest Africa, and German East Africa may have to fend for themselves.  German Pacific colonies in Tsingtao and New Guinea are even more isolated and threatened.

Diplomatically, only Austria-Hungary can be counted on as an ally.  It is imperative that Germany seek diplomatic advantage elsewhere.  This may even extend to funding non-state actors against the Entente powers.  Perhaps the existing relationship with First Chief Venustiano Carranza in Mexico can be leveraged?

Or perhaps this for Serbia:

The Hapsburgs of Austria-Hungary have unjustly accused Serbia of sponsoring terrorism in Sarajevo, presenting a list of draconian demands in flagrant violation of Serbia's sovereignty and international norms of the proper behavior of nation states.  When the Kingdom of Serbia rightly rejected such outrageous demands, the greedy Hapsburg Empire declared war.

Diplomatically, the great Entente powers of Britain, France, and Russia stand with Serbia in the face of such blatant aggression.  More locally, the Kingdom of Montenegro stands with Serbia.  Serbia's ally Greece has not come to war in mutual defense, though Serbian armies may still transit their territories.  Bulgaria, as well as the ancient and decrepit Ottoman Empire, should be treated with caution.  Perhaps the chaos in Albania represents an opportunity?

Dunno.  Just spat that out.  But is that relatively close to what you envisioned?
123456