Quantcast

Domination 1914: No Mans Land

Imbaked
This is a post to serve as communication tool and depository of work done on Domination 1914: No Mans Land. It is a WW1 mod for domination featuring new units and countries. It is now available on the in development section. I am currently looking for better unit images. In particular:
- Camel unit for Beduoin
- Better colored ships
- Better Trench Unit
- Better Gas unit

Also looking for better flag for Serbia

Also please post any play testing advice can be posted here as well.

My goal is to be fully completed by August for the 100 anniversary of start of WW1.

Any help is always appreciated.

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

Pulicat
You need better colored ships specifically of which color/nations? What's the problem with the current ships?
how now brown cow?

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

Imbaked
Russia, Communists and Serbia all have some different hues to their ships. I would like the images to be more defined. Cernel sent me a nice looking camel image for the beduoin I'm gonna play around with. Care to help me out puli?

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

hepster
Here is my contribution to the project thus far...

That should serve as a good substitute to the camp-ground image. ;)

Hope you like it.

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

Imbaked
Here is the camel Cernel sent me. I need to colorize it but I am inept. I would like some shawdowing done with a color to go with Arabia.

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

hepster
That image is fairly difficult to work with.  Due to the fact that it is very dark and that most of the details are obscured in the black colouration,  I'd suggest perhaps starting fresh with a new image.

I took the liberty of googling some Bedouin images...

Here is the one I think would make a great candidate for your new unit image...

If you like this then let me know and I can walk you through the process of: removing the back-ground, re-scaling the image to 48x48 pixels, adding back in some details and colourizing it to match the other Turkish (which would be more appropriately called Ottomans for this game) units.

Cheers,  Hepps

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

hepster
Just for shits & giggles...

Here's a suggestion for a new image for Imbaked

=)

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

plainsfire
Hello,

I have just played this game as the Central Powers, and I have a few ideas.

1) Can we create an event that would give a computer controlled France some trenches in their territories west of Paris each turn? Also, ones in Belgium and any German controlled territories would also be good.

2) I'd add a few more countries, namely Japan (a member of the Allies), and a few neutrals (Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Netherlands, Mexico maybe?) Any nations that were not at war in 1914 can be brought into the war using politics, ala "Total World War 1941."

3) Using the above politics, make the USA and Italy non-immediate members of the Allies.

Game is very fun, though. Highly enjoyable!

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

hepster
While I have not played the game in depth I have watched several intense games.  With that in mind I would like to make a recommendation based on my observations....

1) Gas unit seems overly powerful.  It seems like an uber unit for any team going on the offensive and doesn't seem to be in keeping with its use during the war.

I would suggest that the movement of the unit be reduced to 1 during combat moves and to 2 during non combat moves.

Secondly I would disallow any other combat moves into a territory that is being attacked with gas during the same turn in which it is being used.

There are some other things that I think might be beneficial to the game and I shall share those later when I have time.

Cheers,  great work so far Baked.

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

blumb
This post was updated on .
Finally got some time to sit down and take a look.

Lots of good stuff here, I like the new techs.

In my limited play against the AI I found these missing connections:

<connection t1="British Columbia" t2="Alberta"/>
<connection t1="Nyasaland" t2="Portugese East Africa"/>

Gas moving 3 seems odd to me. Have you given any thought to making gas have a chance of friendly fire? Seems switching movement to 2 and adding a (1 in 10?) chance of friendly fire might balance the gas issue Hepster brought up.

Another thing I noticed is there's destroyers in most production frontiers from the beginning of the game. I would think that at the start of ww1 an isdestroyer unit would be a tech.

The way Russia is divided is more like 1917 than 1914.

Awhile back I was updating and tinkering with GWTLS which also had Russia divided. One of the things that I like about that map is that when the Bolshiviks are a 3rd alliance they can put a manageable dicey element into a ll game. The lack of Japan in this mod doesn't make much room for that to play out much though... Seems playable as is though even with the east not being able to develop much of a front. I have not played as USA attacking Siberia yet...

To me the ww1 western front is just a bludgeoning ping pong match between stacks. The turning point of the war should be a combination of resources from the outcomes of the battles for the Baghdad rail and the Trans Russia rail. Meanwhile Germany has to maintain a strong presence in Africa (or the pacific) and the brits have to keep India from revolt and have the pu's working in their favor that way.

All in all kudos, Imbaked. Nice work making a playable scenario out of the Domination map.

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

blumb
After playing online a couple times I got tired of getting diced

Sure, low luck was in the game options but seems folks have been getting diced on the regular so... I did a little xml edit.

changelog v1.1 (blumb)

Domination_1914_No_Mans_Land.xml

Seems to me this update could go straight to the repo since it's so basic yet necessary and it seems most players prefer ll. Any votes?

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

I really like this mod of Domination, and I find it much more enjoyable than the Great War map.

However I am curious what thoughts people have on the balance. Currently me and a friend have played three games, with three Entente victories. Usually on maps with income inequality this happens though, as players must get accustomed to good openings.

I see three things that really hurt the Central Powers, I'm curious if anyone has a strategy solution for these

1. Communists fail to rise that far. In our first game they grew really quickly, however after that Russia saw the need to send more starting forces East, and they have been contained. Also, France can transport the troops that conquer Tsingdao and German Shanghai to Vladivostock, making it easy to hold. They can also raid the far East, and USA can do this really well. What strategies work for the Communists, and what units should they buy?

2. Belarus stack. If Russia stacks Belarus, I don't see what the Centrals can do. I have a really hard time hurting Russia at all. I think a problem is in the beginning, the only mobile units are Cavalry, Gas and Fighters, neither of which can really be bought in force to go hard against Russia early since they are really bad value in combat. Stacks of StormTroopers are too slow to make an impact. If I want to try and charge Russia, what units should Germany buy?

3. Colonial income. Germany has a lot of income sitting in its colonies, and losing those colonies really offsets gains in Europe by quite a bit. This combined with being unable to push past Belarus in the last game really did Germany in. How much defense are other players staging for colonies? In our games German East Africa held until German surrender, should the pacific hold as well?

I also think Battlecruisers should be cheaper, even with their tech upgrade they are poor value against cruisers.

I think some neutrals could use more defense, especially Switzerland. Norway is worth 4 and only has 2 defenders, Stockholm is worth 5 and only has 3. Mexico City has no defenders at all, only a factory and is worth 4, America has a 80~% chance to get on turn three

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

blumb
I've merged NM'sL with the domination 1914 mod of Surtur2's. There is now politics, Japan and more...

All input welcome.

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/All-WW-1-attempts-gathered-tp7584936p7585946.html

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

Cernel
You are adding advanced elements of realism to a map in which Tobruk is French and has 1 industry.

Just saying.

(and maybe name it in a way to have it stiking near to Domination 1914, in select a game list, and avoid doublefolder zip)

p.s.: I saw you turned Tobruk into something good and somewhat correct (should have income 0); but problem is that Imbaked did that on purpose, because he wanted to spam French warships in Tobruk... and to hell history. I kinda think Imbaked and Surtur are too far away to be merged, at least in a way that will be fine with both. But, good luck, maybe you will succed in having him changing his mind about game priorities (history before fun).

p.p.s: There are many many other little or big things that I can anticipate Imbaked won't like, like the fact that Imbaked want to see stinking bedouins around since start game and he, for some reasons I don't understand, wants Italy being entente since start game; but, I'd rather let him bring all them up.

Anyway, thumbs up, in general.

Just to add a personal suggestion, I very much dislike Global style rules like Player2 enters war exactly on turn X, no more, because it's destiny.
For example, in case of Italy, I'd relate its entering the war to some conditions that you will balance in some way (territory X in the hand of Y etc.). Historically, Italy entered the war because it seemed that the Entente was likely to win (the concept was that either the Alliance wins immediately or the Entente will win, due to greater resources). You can be quite sure Italy wouldn't have entered the war if Germany was storming Paris (or maybe it would have entered it in a quite different way...).
Of course, just having the X enters war on round Y, is much easyer to balance.
Also, here a round can't really represent more than 1 season. So you can think about having Italy into the war a little later (round 3 should be ok).

Re: Domination 1914: No Mans Land

ink55
This is the error message which I get while I'm opening the save game file:

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.3
WARNING [AWT-EventQueue-0] prefs -> Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
Unit.toString() -> Possible java de-serialization error: Unit of UNKNOWN TYPE owned by UNKNOWN OWNER in territory: UNKNOWN TERRITORY with id: null
Unit.toString() -> Possible java de-serialization error: Unit of UNKNOWN TYPE owned by UNKNOWN OWNER in territory: UNKNOWN TERRITORY with id: null

Thank you for developing this map!

like it better than great war but here is some food for thought

panzerman
The board game has it right as far as the troops can stay in the same territory thus simulating trench warfare except you should be allowed to attack adjacent territories that are not already contested from your contested area.
Italy must wait one or two rounds before it can enter the war and the Russian revolution rule is not optional and should be included in The Great war with same board game rules.  At least Larry got that part right.  There has got to be trucks in the game and or horseback to carry the artillery and antiair units.
 Tanks should be a tech and allies have to get it first before central powers are allowed.  Like my WWII house rules, technology should be historically accurate until that country has it developed it
You could also allow balloons that would give artillery better accuracy but no defensive value.
 The board game finally has air superiority right but the triplea version does not.  Additionally, fighters should be limited to a 1round ground strafe.
There needs to be cavalry (board), bombers (computer and board), zeppelins (board), and AA guns (board).  There were several raids on London using Zeppelins and heavy bombers.  There should also be intercept fighter rules and for all the different strategic raids if the game had ports etc. like the Tww game.  Also Zeppelins could carry fighters.
 The computer game defiantly needs to get rid of the planes being able to attack ships unless they would get torpedo technology and the allies would have to be the first.  They then could buy without tech aircraft carriers limited to one plane.  Another technology could be improved battleship bombardment, allies first. Battleships did not have technology for accurate shore bombardment in WWI although they did do them but it should be at lower roll then their normal hit and even lower attacking Europe’s coast.  The bombardment ships should have to face costal artillery which should be in the game.  Also Paris rail guns should be allowed for Germany only no tech but only cause minor Pu damage.
Both board and triplea absolutely negate the dramatic effect of German submarines during WWI.   Cruisers, battleships, and “armed trannies” only get a one defense against submarines and can’t attack them period.  They obviously did not have sonar, lacked the speed, and could not even get their deck guns low enough to fire on partially submerged submarines.  Plus you will not find any casualties from battleships and cruiser in uboat.com in both WWI and II.  So in a mixed sea battle the above ship’s regular defensive hits would count against other warships but only rolls of one could be counted against subs.
Really all they could do is ram them in WWI for defense.  There should be a purchase difference between armed and unarmed trannies or unarmed trannies get no defensive roll.
Subs and destroyers should only get a 1 defense as well until destroyer tech below is developed and then the destroyer defensive value would certainly be increased.  Now both subs and destroyers can attack subs but the subs can submerge after first round unless depth charges tech but even then the attacking sub hits would not count after the first round.  There should be a roll to see if surfaced as well 50/50 chance, let’s say.
In order to attack submerged subs players will have to get depth charges.  Improved depth charges coupled with sonar will bump up destroyer’s chances.  Both techs really were not in effect until 1916 Gas rounds should be in both games and fired by artillery only and could have improved gas, Germans first?
In mixed sea battles involving subs and destroyers, defending destroyers hits must count against subs until all attacking subs are gone and then then their regular sea rolls against ships.

Re: like it better than great war but here is some food for thought

hepster
Baked I haven't seen you around lately on the Lobby.

Wanted to chat with you about this creation and your next adaptation.

I've been working on some modifications to the Domination map.  Here is just a snap shot of just one of the areas I have examined...

As you can see I have added some new territories and played around with some territorial values.  I have made changes all across the map (some minor, others more significant).

Anyway,  I have been giving a lot of thought towards some of the things you were trying to achieve with the next release.

Gimme a slap next time you see me on the lobby.

Re: like it better than great war but here is some food for thought

panzerman
hey hepster, you sent this to me Panzer, I will be back, just getting a house ready for section ape, I mean 8, lol.

 Subject: Re: like it better than great war but here is some food for thought
 To: "panzerman" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Saturday, December 6, 2014, 5:34 PM

  Baked I haven't seen you around lately on the Lobby.

 Wanted to chat with you about this creation and your next
 adaptation.

 I've been working on some modifications to the
 Domination map.  Here is just a snap shot of just one
 of the areas I have examined...

 As you can see I have added some new territories and played
 around with some territorial values.  I have made
 changes all across the map (some minor, others more
 significant).

 Anyway,  I have been giving a lot of thought towards
 some of the things you were trying to achieve with the next
 release.

 Gimme a slap next time you see me on the lobby.

 Each battle has casualties,  however it is only the victor
 who's losses are acceptable casualties.  Dying in
 defeat, is dying in vain.

  If you reply to this email,
 your message will be added to the discussion below:
  http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Domination-1914-No-Mans-Land-tp7585693p7587078.html

  To unsubscribe from Domination 1914: No Mans Land, click
 here.

  NAML

Re: like it better than great war but here is some food for thought

Sorry for the stupid suggestion; but Constantinople is in Europe.

Re: like it better than great war but here is some food for thought

Yes it is.

I was making only alterations for the map that did not affect some of the basic designs for the map.
I suppose I could draw the canal on the other side of the circle for realism.