Quantcast

Diplomacy map

Pulicat
New topic.
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
@ Prussia:

Do it. I've been thinking of making a Diplomacy xml as wel.
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Prussia
Here it is. The map is functional, but the development is in a very elementary phase with units that made no sense what-so-ever. You'll need to manually put in the base/relief tiles as they're WAY too big to upload here

Diplomacy.rar

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

i actually started making a diplomacy map too...

it was going to be based on this map:
Diplomacy.png

which i was in the process of drawing the lines over, because the current lines are too thick, and there are too many little island things (like around norway):
Diplomacy.pdn

i'm rather bad at all things that involve the use of art or an drawing program....
so if someone wants to do the map (basetiles), i can do the xml
i would prefer the map to be based on the actual diplomacy map, no extra territories, etc.
and we would have to find ways to make the map in the flavor of the diplomacy game, i don't want just another ww2v2 / v3 on a new map (so boring!).

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Pulicat
Great!

However before we jump right into making this map I think we should discuss exactly how adaptable Diplomacy board is for Axis&Allies playing. For example, i notice that Diplomacy sea zones tend to be WAY larger than their Axis&Allies counterparts. If you look at the Diplomacy seas, they leave very little room for manuevering. Second, because this is going to be an FFA, we have to think of a turn order that makes sense and is equitable.
how now brown cow?

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

Prussia
1)

I think the empire map (or a variation of it) have excellent land territories, maybe we just merge a couple of seazones ( in my case, I gave many sea units 3 movement) and change some names

2)

I suggest have the powers in the crossroad (i.e. germany and austria) go first, since they can be attacked from all sides. Russia and Britain should go last because they're on the end of the board. Then have the weaker powers (turkey, italy) go before stronger powers to balance it out.

I don't like the "total equality" as seen on many existing FFA because that usually puts territories greatly out of their value (aka having ankara equal to paris in PU)

For example, Austria => Germany => Italy => Ottoman => France => UK => Russia.

Re: Empires - Napoleonic Wars

i believe that the map should be kept EXACTLY the same as the actual diplomacy map
all sea and land units should have exactly 1 move, in keeping with diplomacy
sea and land units should cost about the same, in keeping with diplomacy
the production centers (the dots on my map) will be the territories that have factories
and no country can build new factories
all production zones will be worth the same amount of pu's (say 5-10?)
all non-production zones will be worth either zero or a very small amount (0-2, i favor zero, in keeping with diplomacy)
no country will have a capitol / the capitols will be in invisible territories somewhere that can not be reached
for turn order i would say austria, italy, germany, turkey, france, england, russia.... or something like that (we could use statistics online to determine which countries win the most, and put them in reverse order)
all units should be relatively expensive, this maps should have fewer units running around then most maps do
i am debating whether to include air or not, but if we do it would have to have small movement range (2-3, probably 2)
no tech, or at least turned off tech by default.  i would also say low luck by default turned on, to reflect that the actual game of diplomacy has zero luck involved (and a true zero it is).
most units should have equal defense and attack powers... OR should have slightly more attack then defense, to encourage people to make multinational attacks (in diplomacy, all attacks are done at same time, so multinational attacks are just as powerful as multinational defense... which is harder to do with triplea)
and something to discourage turtling (in diplomacy, you do not create units each turn, you get a number of units equal to the number of production zones you have.... again, harder to implement... we must have something to discourage turtling tho...)
and we could get really fucked up and do everyone's combat moves, followed by everyone's combat, followed by everyone's noncombat moves, followed by everyone's production.... or something like that... would be hilarious

again, these are just my preliminary thoughts, and i can be persuaded if you make a well thought out argument against one or more points....

Re: Diplomacy map

I've completed Diplomacy 1.0

threw it together in a couple hours today,

Pulicat, would you like to joint develop this with me?

here is a fully playable version, though not balanced at all, not even a little bit:
http://sites.google.com/site/tripleasupplydepotmaps4/TripleA-Supply-Depot-Maps-4/Diplomacy.zip

its also in the eb's list, at the bottom

Re: Diplomacy map

Pulicat
Hi Veqryn,

I'd love to collaborate with you on this project.

If we want to preserve the feel of Diplomacy (where sheer numbers, rather than small-scale tactics matter), I suggest we make all units attack/defense 6/6. In Diplomacy, all units are equal in strength, and if we make units 6/6, they will automatically annihilate each other and you can only win a battle through having superior numbers. What do you think?

Pulicat
how now brown cow?

Re: Diplomacy map

we could actually have two xml's in the folder
1 for an Axis and Allies type of game on the Diplomacy map (ffa, using greatwar's units, or ww2v3's units..)
the other would be as close to diplomacy as we can possibly get it, given our engine

ya, i think that is a pretty cool idea
i guess that means there will be only 1 land unit
for naval units, how can we simulate that naval units are able to occupy coastal territories?
again, we could have 6/6/1 naval units, and I am thinking that they should also have transport capacity for 1-10 land units.... (how many can they transport? we don't want people building too much fleet just to transport, since the transports are also attack and defense.  i think they should be priced the same as land units, and do you think they should bombard? and if so what bombard rules?)

what do you think of my map so far?