Different diceSides and behavior

panguitch
The PoS2 xml includes a note that "Setting diceSides to a number other than 6 can result in unexpected behavior."

What kinds of unexpected behavior? The AI gets dumber? Or something breaks?

Greyhawk Wars
TripleA in the original Dungeons & Dragons world

Re: Different diceSides and behavior

eurofabio
I guess that some AI gets dumber. I doubt that it breaks the engine, otherwise Veq would not allow it.

Re: Different diceSides and behavior

Yeah, there are definitely some hardcoded values especially in the older AIs based on 6 sided die. If there were more popular maps with other dice options then it would be easier to test and improve the AI.

Re: Different diceSides and behavior

Eschelon
One thing specifically that I've seen happen, if you have a map with multiple versions of 2 hit units, is that if the combat value is over 6, the AI would assign hits to the 2 hit units with values over 6 before those with 6 or less.  You could reassign these of course, but it was slightly annoying nonetheless.

FYI, my map used 12 sided dice, with multiple versions of support (mobility + missile + bombard/artillery + command + siege bonuses).

Also, I've seen the AI use powerful units with combat values over 6 as 'throwaway' units when taking vacant territories.  Normally, you'd use cheap infantry or even cheap cav/armor for this, but the AI regards these units as 'less effective' since it wasn't looking for values over 6.

I'm not sure how much of this has been corrected since 1.3.2.2, but that is what I was seeing on my 3rd Century BCE Wars map.

That map was designed for the Wisconsin Land AI, which has been abandoned.  I did see similar behaviour using Moore and the other AI though.  As no one has worked on the Wisconsin AI since it was partially broken in later versions of TripleA, I haven't bothered to update my map.

I may do so with the new AI  that is now being developed, but that's really another topic.  Hopefully this helps answer your inquiry.

Re: Different diceSides and behavior

panguitch
Yes, thanks. At this point, since the dice isn't crucial for my concept and I'm trying to keep the AI viable (at least as a neutral party if not as an opponent), I think I'll spare the AI the embarrassment and stick with 6 for now.

Greyhawk Wars
TripleA in the original Dungeons & Dragons world

Re: Different diceSides and behavior

Eschelon
That may be the prudent approach.  I'm sure Redrum is squashing those '6 or less' checks for those looking for more dice sides on their maps using his new AI as he finds them (for his AI anyways), so depending on how quickly you put your map together, if you are planning on using/recommending Redrum's AI this may not be an issue at that point.