Development enviroment modernization

bernat
The current build system seems for me a little outdated. Any ideas for switching to Gradle instead of Ant, and git instead of svn (maybe use GitHub)? I have some solid experience with this, maybe could help with this. :)

Re: Development enviroment modernization

I don't know how to use Gradle, but I wouldn't be opposed to learning it.
I am getting a little better at using git, but pretty much all I can do right now is make commits and pulls.
Sourceforge has manages our website and ticket tracker for us, while I don't think github does that, so I probably wouldn't want to switch to github.

All in all, I'd be fine with changing if someone wanted to do this, so long as they could also do some explaining of what is going on and how to use it, etc.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Your points are valid.

I can assist with both git and Gradle. I think I'll put out a proof of concept of this, once I have a little time.

The Gradle part is pretty self contained, and most IDE-s can just import it as project (no need to create a project), and would eliminate the need for Linux/Bash/Windows scripts.

The git part can be easily helped with a small tutorial, perhaps put on the Wiki.

As for the website https://pages.github.com/ could work for the static part.

The forums part is trickier. I'll think about it.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

@bernat - I suggested something similar to this about a year ago when I first started working on the AI. It seems Veqryn is a little more open to it now as he wasn't thrilled about it then :)

I'll warn you though that the code base is rather large in size and when I tried to convert it over to github wasn't able to get all the history to convert. I ended up just having to drop the current code base in here: https://github.com/ron-murhammer/TripleA

For a little while, I developed there and then generated a patch to commit back to sourceforge but it became too painful so I just decided to use SVN/sourceforge.

Essentially, you'd need to have a website to host the forum and the pages that are up on sourceforge now. You could move some stuff over to the github wiki but would still need some solution for the rest.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Here's the current git repo: https://github.com/gaborbernat/triplea

I think the whole history is there, and looks mostly right. Some cleanup is in place though, like README rewrite and such. :)

In April I'll probably have some time for the Gradle part, guide and all that.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
This post was updated on .
Can you provide e-mails for your Github accounts? :) Just to link together users :) If you do not have you may register. No need to post  it here, you may send me as message, or post here your Github account (thats public either way)

Such as mine: https://github.com/gaborbernat

Re: Development enviroment modernization

so, like i said above, github can't do everything we need, so it doesn't make sense to switch to it right now.

i think it makes more sense to switch from ant to gradle first.

if when i step further out of the picture, redrum and others want to switch over to github, that is fine, but I would ask the github account be set up under a non-personal github account.

we currently have an "official" email which I, sgb, bung, and redrum have access to: "tripleadevelopers  <at> gmail.com", and I think it would make the most sense to set up triplea under that email, rather than your personal email.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Hello,

Yes, I know :) I thought we could keep the stuff Github cannot do here, and the commits there.

As for the personal account, that's fine. I can move (transform) ownership at any time. I used the personal account just for the POC part.

For doing the actual transform (source code from SF to Github) I'll need the commiters github account, as I do not think we can change the commit ownership later. So we'll need to redo this later (then perhaps under a non personal github user, of course). This just shows is doable easily.

One thing, during the switch ant to gradle do we intend absolutely to keep the current folder structure, or can we adhere to the Java conventions. That is src code in src/main/java, and resource in src/main/resource? Commit history will of course remain as the files will be only renamed, not moved. This is doable in git, so I suppose in SVN too.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

veqryn
So if we have to keep the web site and everything here, why move to GitHub at all?
if it is a desire to use git, I think sourceforge allows git.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Hello,

Oh, true that. :)

Can you provide me with access to commit? :)  For creating a gradle branch :)

Re: Development enviroment modernization

sorry, but i don't allow commit access until someone has submit a patch or two.
can you create the patch first?

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Sure, I'll try :) Maybe I can get a simple Gradle integration this week.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Here's a first draff for Gradle,

http://pastebin.com/9eh20ebU

At the moment it creates the jar. It does not work because the data files are not threated as resources in the current state, but as Java files. Will need to change sligthly the resource loader to fix this.

Once added, you just need to enter ./gradlew jar (on Linux), gradlew jar (on Windows) to build. No need to install anything, Gradle will download an install itself. All project dependencies are downloaded from the maven center (upgraded a few of them to latest), and as such these are not needed in the svn repo (we may delete these later on, to decrease svn size).

IDE's can open the project via:

- IDEA (built in)
- Eclipse (generate Eclipse project files via ./gradlew eclipse, or use   https://github.com/spring-projects/eclipse-integration-gradle/)
- Netbeans plugin https://github.com/kelemen/netbeans-gradle-project

For finalizing will need to create dist tasks in some form.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Bump :)

Re: Development enviroment modernization

redrum, can you have a first look?
i'm busy until a 1-2 weeks from, as the quarter isn't over yet

Re: Development enviroment modernization

Alright. I'll try to take a look at it this week. I'm more of a Maven expert but have used Gradle a little bit. I've been traveling a lot recently so haven't had much time.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Please note that as I see the binary files were not added in the diff, so you cannot try it out actually without a gradle on your system. If you have any questions, or require my support message me, maybe we can setup a chat assist at some time :)

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Guys, any updates? Eager to continue.

Re: Development enviroment modernization

bernat
Can you give me some feedback or ETA? :)

Re: Development enviroment modernization

@bernat - Sorry I just haven't had the time. I'll try to look at it this week.
1234