Development To-Do list

Re: Development To-Do list

Rolf Larsson
Excellent work on the report thing, could include a lot more info, maybe notification like with an image in the background. I hope it is optional or not requireing an additional confirm(click).

Don´t know if you know the old pcversion of A&A, it had the imo very nice report at the end of the round, newspaperlike, showing some statistics, like Germans +2 income, +3 territories, axis +7 net income, number of units overall +x per players, side etc.
Something like this would be nice as info for all players at the end of the round, without clicking beeing needed of course.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Development To-Do list

I like the end turn report. However you should be able to set the following preferences

1. End turn report for all players
2. End turn report for humans only
3. No end turn report

You might also want to give changes in Income, TUVs, units, territories gained etc.

Re: Development To-Do list

i don't understand how you can have a window that doesn't require a click....

how else will it disappear?

unless you mean "requires a click for game to continue", and not "requires a click to close the window/popup"

because I just fixed the whole "requires a click for game to continue" issue, see this post in the A&A.org forum:

Veqryn wrote
welcome,

i was going to avoid that request, because I absolutely hate it when during live games someone forgets to click an "Ok" box, thereby holding up the entire game (until they remember, or get back from bathroom, etc).

i figured people would either forget to click it, or be busy reading it for a while, thereby holding up the next player

but figuring out a way to not have a non-returning (void) message dialog not hold up a game is on my todo list,

so I broke down and figured out how to do it.  Originally by having a thread that ran another thread, that showed the dialog.

Then after completing it, I found that all message dialogs would now popup at the same time, and hide each other.  So then I had to figure out a way to have no more than 1 message dialog open at a time, while keeping the others in a queue.  My first try of interlocking blocking threads created a mess of deadlocks.  The solution ended up being having all simple void message dialogs go through a Thread Pool with only a single thread in it, then also forcing all other message dialogs and UI popups to wait on completion of the thread pool.

the plus side is that political notifications, kamikaze notifications, and these new end turn notifications, will no longer hold up the game for other players in a live game

a simple request, is rarely simple

but happy to make it anyway

Re: Development To-Do list

gamerman01
I'll certainly do that now, thanks!!

Re: Development To-Do list

gamerman01
Unfortunately, it's not working for me

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.6.1.4
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\TripleA\fullstats.csv (Access is denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleaMenu.createAndSaveStats(TripleaMenu.java:1284)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleaMenu.access$2400(TripleaMenu.java:117)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.TripleaMenu$26.actionPerformed(TripleaMenu.java:1006)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

Re: Development To-Do list

eurofabio
Try to save in other folder, desktop for instance

gamerman01 wrote
Unfortunately, it's not working for me

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.6.1.4
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\TripleA\fullstats.csv (Access is denied)

Re: Development To-Do list

why would you save it to program files?

you don't have permission to do that on your computer.....

save it to your desktop instead

(then open it with excel)

Re: Development To-Do list

And you can now change some font size and color options, (accessible from the "view" menu)

The defaults are of course the same as always were: 12 size font, black names, white unit count, and black damage count.

Re: Development To-Do list

And a new edit ability to change political relationships:

(in below screenshot example, I have changed the relationships so that it is germany/russia/italy vs the rest of the world)

Re: Development To-Do list

Any font numbers I type in the box get switched to "42" by the interface, and I get this java error on Windows 7:  bug.TXT

EDIT: this only happens if the first digit of the "12" font gets changed.  The second digit can be changed to create 10 - 19 font size.

Re: Development To-Do list

your error (the bug text you uploaded) seems different from what you posted.

what you posted is that trying to type something into the box turns it into 42.  I've fixed this, it was very simple.  And it should not have caused any bugs.

however, your bug text says the error is from the color chooser.

can you tell me what you were doing that made that bug text come up?

and also, tell me which "look and feel" you are using

Re: Development To-Do list

I have always wanted to have the battle calculator show more information.
In particular, I found that (especially in dice games), the results of a battle were never close to what the "average" in the battle calculator was.  While the battle calc says that "defense have average of 2 units left", the defense would normally end up with 6+ units left, as an example.
This is because due to the nature of A&A combat, when one side wins they win big, and when one side loses, they lose big.  This is simply the nature of dice + the rules of combat + the compounding/exponential nature of having multiple combat rounds.
So I decided to make 2 new statistics:
1) Average # of units left for Attacker when Attacker wins the battle
2) Average # of units left for Defender when Defender wins the battle

and while I was making these changes, pug and hepster suggested to add statistics for the number of units each side has, and Average # of combat rounds, and also allow you to choose when a player retreats in order to simulate a strafe.

It took some rewriting of the battle class, but the calc can now retreat successfully when the option presents itself.

Lastly, in order to not skew the results (for Revised games), the battle calculator will automatically retreat when it is just subs against aircraft.  (it already did this for aa50 games, but not for revised games)

so, behold the new battle calculator:

Re: Development To-Do list

lalapalooza
So I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I figured this was pretty close.

There was originally a thread about enacting defensive retreating a year or two ago. I'm not sure what happened to it, but I thought the idea was interesting.

In terms of some more functionality for the engine, would there be a way to enable certain types of units to retreat and not others? I'm thinking about something like air cover and scrambling.

Germany attacks russia or something like that, but russia has some air units adjacent to the attacked territory. Instead of having to make a decision about whether to commit enough units to ensure they all don't die or leaving the territory totally alone, if Russia were able to retreat after 1-2 rounds of combat, it would mean russia could do more damage before "bugging out" with its air cover and preserving its air units.

In addition, attacking armies already have to roll vs defensive aa guns, so perhaps if this system is implemented there could be offensive aa guns? Units that you bring into battle as non-combatants like transports that can take a shot at any defensive air units that have scrambled to the adjacent territory.

I know scrambling is already an option, but including some kind of defensive retreat option for aircraft after scrambling might be kind of cool, since with some rules attackers are able to retreat air units in the case of a bad attack.

Thoughts?

Re: Development To-Do list

Zim Xero
Related to defensive "round" retreating would be to add a "mobility" unit trait.  Mobility would allow units to move after combat if they have any points left over, the way aircraft do, except that is not required.  This trait would make sense for some units, maybe light tanks, recon units, and destroyers.

Re: Development To-Do list

no plan to implement defensive retreats or new unit abilities that i have not previously listed on my todo list, sorry

Re: Development To-Do list

lalapalooza
My bad, I read this as a "suggestions" thread. Do your thang!

Re: Development To-Do list

yeklef
Are these things that you were hoping to have in 1.6.1.4, or are these planned for 1.7?

Thanks

Re: Development To-Do list

p23x
Game needs a timer per round

Re: Development To-Do list

hepster
Question Veq.

How possible or impossible would it be to separate the placements for Combat and Infrastructure units.  Or say have specific placements for images of different sizes?

Ie.  there being a set of placements images of 30 x 30 and a separate set of placements for images 48 x 48 and a separate set for 64 x 64 etc. etc.

Would that even be doable?

Re: Development To-Do list

A few new things added recently:

1. TileImageReconstructor, a new utility which will reconstruct an image from basetiles or relief tiles.  you can also have it optionally draw the polygon file on top of the image when finished (or give it a blank folder of basetiles and get just the polygons drawn).

2. New stuff for the battle calculator:

* Default casualty picker now takes territory effects into account

* Retreat when losing option.
This is approximated by using "meta-power", a new term I came up with that happens to equal "power + 2*hitpoints".  When the attacker's meta-power is lower than the defender's, we will retreat if you have selected that option.
Meta-Power happens to be a very accurate 'quick and dirty' assessment of strength, and I have found in tests that having 10% more meta-power than your opponent means you will definitely have greater than 50% chance of winning, and having 10% less meta-power than your opponent means you will definitely have less than 50% chance of winning the battle.
You can hover your mouse over the "Power: x" label to see a tooltip telling you what your total meta power currently is.

* Specify Order of Losses for the casualty picker, using a script I made.  Now you can see what your odds will be if you choose to take those bombers casualty last on defense...

btl calc:

ool: