Development To-Do list

1.6.1.3/4 will probably be released in 1 or 2 weeks, depending on how quickly Hepster can get new sounds to me, and whether any new bugs are found.

After that, I plan to start a new unstable, which means some development work on new features for maps can take place.

Here is the latest to-do list:
2012_12_14_TripleA_future_development_to_do_list.docx

The main things are as follows:

*. Bug fixing of all kinds.
*. Further UI enhancements of all kinds.
*. [done] Remove occupiedTerrOf from engine (replace with originalOwner)
*. [done] Add ability to specify the starting round number in the xml
*. [done] Added crystal's territory effect for disallowed units
*. [done] Attempt to code offensive "aa" (first strike) shooting.
*. Attempt to code "only the targeted unit during strategic bombing will fire at only the units targeting it"
*. [done] Attempt to expand Air Battles to be allowed before any battle.
*. [done] Attempt to allow specifying max number of rounds each battle can last for.
*. Attempt to code "RISK"
new ones:
*. Get sounds to work for clients in online play.
*. [done] Fix delegates so that steps are passed to a player instead of strings, and all delegates have a method for determining if they should run or not.
*. [done] Be able to right click on a history item/node and save the game at that point in history (then load the new savegame you just made).
*. [done] auto update / auto inform user that they need to update for any out of date maps
*. [done] auto update / auto inform user that they need to update for TripleA engine
*. [done] a popup with important new features + changelog for new versions of triplea
new new:
*. Custom Game Options for Conditions
*. Custom user action delegate for triggers
*. Risk startup phase delegate
*. Sounds for clients
*. Great war fixes

Also, we need a new developer for AI.
And we need a new developer to code STUN/TURN/ICE or some kind of NAT Traversal into triplea and the lobby server.
And we need a new web-admin to take over the tripleawarclub

Re: Development To-Do list

hepster
Hey Veq.

Now that I am finished with other stuff... for the time being ... why don't you add me to the admin for the site.

At minimum I can do some stuff to add to the images available to view.  Then as I learn more and get some help I can start to redo the site to make it prettier.

Just made a promo poster for T.W.W.

Re: Development To-Do list

Veqryn wrote
*. Attempt to code "RISK"
There already is a good sourceforge project which plays Risk, including some of the recent variants called Invade Earth. What's the point of adapting TripleA to cover Risk, especially given Risk's very different turn structure.

Re: Development To-Do list

Rolf Larsson
Sorry Roger, but what is the point of limiting Veqryns will to enhance Triplea?
Can only speak for me here, I don´t want to play risk a lot (maybe a few times for fun, in the lobby I like, with people I like etc.), but certain aspects of risk like: the cards ,the random setup and the missions are very interesting. Those aspects will come additional to Triplea and allow for much more than simple risk. Imagine: Risk with different units and values, FFA maps with card trading and missions (eliminate player x to win...), sounds like a great addition to me, even when only some aspects can be realized, Triplea will benefit.

Plus, a player in the lobby who is playing normal risk, which will be available then for sure, is much more likely to have a look at other maps too, enriching the player pool.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Development To-Do list

Cleisthenis
Not to mention that adding some of those risk like features may be an interesting way to enhance existing mods or create whole new maps and games within Triple A that wouldn't have been possible without them.

Re: Development To-Do list

eurofabio
Why does we need "A new AI that simply does nothing at all.  Any money it earns gets deleted.  Rejects all politics"?

It is not the same as neutral?

Re: Development To-Do list

RogerCooper
eurofabio wrote
Why does we need "A new AI that simply does nothing at all.  Any money it earns gets deleted.  Rejects all politics"?

It is not the same as neutral?
By using an AI, you could quickly take a country out of the game temporarily, without having to edit every area and reactivate when needed.

I would like a see a static AI, that does nothing but build infantry. You can do the same with the XML file, but an AI would be simpler and more flexible.

Re: Development To-Do list

eurofabio
An AI that just build units I can understand, but an AI that does nothing, I still don't get it.

Re: Development To-Do list

Rolf Larsson
What is better than the "Skip"-AI to test something at a certain point, when it absolutely doesn´t matter what this skipped player does.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Development To-Do list

hepster, check and see if i added you to the project admin list for the web space and if it works or not
(i added a user called hepster, which i hope is you)

Re: Development To-Do list

i would also like to add 3 new update features:
1. auto update / auto inform user that they need to update for TripleA engine
2. auto update / auto inform user that they need to update for any out of date maps
3. a popup with important new features + changelog for new versions of triplea

Re: Development To-Do list

the new notification windows:

the links work and can be clicked...

Every time you start up triplea, it will check online if there is a new version of triplea, and if so will give you this notification:

And the first time after you download a new version, you will get this message (only once), telling you what is new:

And lastly, every time you click "Download Maps" -> "List Games", if you have an out of date map you will get an alert like this for them:

i hope this helps everyone stay on the same page,

i always thought it was weird that the only way you know if there is an update is to join the lobby.  For all the people who do not play on the lobby, they are all probably still using 1.2.5.5
MF

Re: Development To-Do list

MF
Hello, I've now just took a look at the code cause i was curious about it and created just a simple AI with nothing in it (empty functions) and this AI just does nothing at all. So this can't be a serious TODO or is it?

Re: Development To-Do list

Self reminder on todo:

bugs:

* [done] fix noncombat move of a destroyer that attacked a sub, possibly with air
* possibly switch war declaration to be after purchase, for 1940 games
* subs should not roll prior to other units when destroyers are present. they should roll all together
* casualty selection should be done once, not in small amounts for each group of rolls
* fix issue with technology and game options, specificaly LHTR and # of dice for heavy bombers
* allow flyover of neutrals that have been attacked, in 1940 games

features:
* [done] show movement points left, when selecting units
* [done] change end turn sound to only occur once per end turn, so reloads do not let it reoccur
* [done] figure out how to send messages to either all users, or certain users, but only 1 time per computer. possibly using display adapter by display messenger code, or something.
* [done] add two new integers to the battle calculator: average defending survivors when defender wins, and average attacking survivors when attacker wins
* [done] turn off option to disallow new observers, and instead force use of passwords
* [done] collect income phase popup report (non-blocking)
* [done] allow changing color of text (such as damage text, number of units text, etc)
* [done] allow editing land units to water zones
* [done] allow editing political situation somehow
* [done] pbem poster options to change if savegame is posted, or to allow reposting
* [done] edit panel button called "perform action", which just switches us to the action panel
* [done] end movement phase warning -> focus on territory with warning
* [done] add victory conditions to all maps that come with triplea
* add a condition to 1940 to hold objectives for full turn

Re: Development To-Do list

I'd like to know what you guys think of this:

I've changed the mouse cursor during the move phase to show how much movement you have left for units.

The Yellow is how many territories in your current mouse-route.

The Blue is how much movement is left.

So in this example, you have a fighter with 3 movement left and a bomber with 5 movement left, so it shows up as 3+ movement left.

Right now, it always shows.
I am considering making it so that it only shows when you have already moved the units once (so the number is less than what you expect).

let me know what you think.
thx,
veq

Re: Development To-Do list

hepster
Since the engine won't let you move into combat without it being legal... wouldn't it make more sense to have this feature simply for the non-combat phase?

Re: Development To-Do list

Zim Xero
Well, I just tried it out.  I think its beautiful.

Re: Development To-Do list

I created a simple "End Turn Report", that will show up at the end of every players turn.
(so long as that player controls their capital)

let me know what you think

Re: Development To-Do list

gamerman01
Is this the place to post ideas?

I wish the stats did not total up the facilities in the TUV and item count.  If you leave them out, I think you have a better picture of each country.  Thanks for considering

Re: Development To-Do list

gamerman, have you tried the "export" -> "export stats" feature?
it provides much much more finer-grain stats

the 'stats tab' is just a simple overview