Destroyers ASW capability

BeornTheBold
It would be good if destroyers were paired with enemy subs for the purpose of negating the sub's special abilities.  As it is now, one destroyer can negate an unlimited number of subs.  Also, if subs could target ships of choice that would be good, similar to how strategic bombing is handled.

Re: Destroyers ASW capability

pyt o torp
This post was updated on .
i got rid of the isDestroyer option for Destroyers because of what you just wrote

still working on my personal NWO mod and i am trying to go for a more historical/realistic way to get my units right, therefore i did several things to compensate for the lost isDestroyer option

i try to give some suggestions to replace Destroyers ultimative anti Sub ability with some kind of different options

first of all, i think at least early submarines were way slower than most other surface ships at that time, i dont understand why in NWO subs (mov 2) are faster than the speedy T.Boats (mov 1)

so my first step was to decrease the early subs movement to 1 ( subs were around only half as fast as surface ships )

<attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="Submarine" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
<option name="isSub" value="true"/>
<option name="movement" value="1"/> <-------------------------------------------***
<option name="isSea" value="true"/>
<option name="attack" value="2"/>
<option name="defense" value="2"/>
</attatchment>

my second step was to give the destroyer a supportAttachement, something like this

<attatchment name="supportAttachmentDestroyer" attatchTo="Destroyer" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitSupportAttachment" type="unitType">
<option name="unitType" value="Battleship:Cruiser:Battlecruiser"/>
<option name="faction" value="allied"/>
<option name="side" value="defence:offence"/>
<option name="dice" value="strength"/>
<option name="bonus" value="1"/>
<option name="number" value="1"/>
<option name="bonusType" value="Escort"/>
<option name="players" value="Germans:Russians:British:Americans:Italians"/>
</attatchment>

my third step was to add the AA ability vs subs to the Destroyer unit itself, like following

<attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="Destroyer" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
<option name="movement" value="2"/>
<option name="isSea" value="true"/>
<option name="attack" value="2"/>
<option name="defense" value="2"/>
<option name="isAAforCombatOnly" value="true"/>
<option name="isAAforBombingThisUnitOnly" value="false"/>
<option name="isAAforFlyOverOnly" value="false"/>
<option name="attackAA" value="2"/>
<option name="maxAAattacks" value="1"/>
<option name="offensiveAttackAA" value="2"/>
<option name="maxRoundsAA" value="1"/>
<option name="damageableAA" value="true"/>
<option name="typeAA" value="Waterbombs"/>
<option name="targetsAA" value="Submarine:S.Sub"/>
</attatchment>

till now i am considering this approach viable

but yes, it would be nice to have the 1vs1 antisub as you mentioned

Re: Destroyers ASW capability

I've thought about better sub rules for a while, and this post made me realize that there is an alternate way!

Its possible to make subs strategic bombers, but they would need to be air units. Its possible to ban them from entering land territories, and set carrierCost=0. This would mean that it can fly over enemy units of course, so if you made destroyers anti-air that only affects subs this would also allow to make the relationship work on a 1 to 1 ratio! Destroyers will NOT be able to stop subs from moving through totally, however they can shoot at subs that are passing by, and subs wouldn't be able to submerge.